Poll: Which one
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
£3.4k - One new D200
22.92%
11 22.92%
£4.4k - A Pair of 2nd hand Matte Black D-Premier's
33.33%
16 33.33%
£6.8k - A par of new D200 (a D400 mono set)
27.08%
13 27.08%
£6.4k - One new D250
14.58%
7 14.58%
£11.3k - A pair of new D250's (a D800 mono set)
2.08%
1 2.08%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Pair of 2nd hand D-Premiers or One new D200
Hi

Appreciate all the replies.

Regarding the prices, these are the last units from the old distributor, who is getting rid of the last of their stock hence why only 2 x D200's (both Masters, no Companion) and D800 (Master & Companion). The D-Premier's are a pair that has only just been traded-in, and he admitted that the Matte Black ones are going cheaper as it seems to be easier for him to shift the standard Chrome ones.

Cheers
John
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Matte black , like mine , is far easier to keep clean
I agree with F1 .. the 2 d prems are an amazing bargain re sound quality
At those prices twin D prems is a no brainer , the only REAL consideration is SAM (which I dont like that much)
USB output can be used with a usb to spdif converter... firmware upgrades like icm , subsonic filter , etc etc all still apply to the D prem
I would jump at those prices ... IE I would like to buy the twin d prems as I can add one to make a 500 system and then flog the other for about the same as I paid for both...
the 2 master 400 system is also great..if you decide to use only one .. the other will sell far easier than a companion
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Sorry if I'm answering back in separate email, but having problems with my internet and kept losing my previous replies, so thought to try some smaller ones.

Regarding my set-up, I’m waiting for a new pair of Lenehan Audio’s ML3 Reference. Unless you live in Australia there will probably be less chance of others knowing these speakers. As  Mike (Lenehan) specifically makes his own speakers then I can’t see much chance of them ever being SAM'd. Yes, there is the new SAM lab gear that travels round the globe, but living here in Perth Western Australia I can’t see much chance of a visit to here happening (certainly not in the near future).

My ML3 Ref speakers are a 2 way design (30mm tweeter, with 8” Mid/Bass driver, crossover 1.8kHz):
  • Dueland RS Caps & 10awg hand wound Inductors
  • Frequency Response: 25hz to 25khz +/- 1.5db (in room).
  • Sensitivity: 88dB @ 2.83V/m .
  • Impedence: 8ohms nominal.
  • Recommended amplifier power: 20-700W .
  • Cabinet dimensions (HxWxD): 1000 x 244 x 450mm .
  • Weight (per speaker): 85kg’s
I’m not so worried about missing out on the SAM, as if I can’t have it I won’t miss what I could never have. Would it be nice to have the choice, yes, but I’m not buying the Devialet’s because of that. One option I am looking forward to is being able to fully integrate a Sub in with my mains (I only have a 2.0 system, even for watching TV & Movies). I have a Paradigm Sub1 so would look at this being able to add in the extra bottom end for a 2.1 system (heard with the Devialet you have the option of hi-pass and low-pass levels as well as 1st, 2nd , 3rd  or 4th order filtering).

With the D-Premier’s I would be missing out on Ethernet & USB. Ethernet isn’t a deal breaker as if the Wi-Fi Air connection works good then can get away with not having Ethernet  (I’ve just had my place updated new Wi-Fi; Ruckus R600, commercial grade Wi-Fi). USB would be handy, as currently us a Mac Mini , with Curious USB cables & Regen into a Klien DAC (another local Australian made component). I would prefer to have the USB, but if need be I can get a usb to spdif converter (possibly a Music Fidelity V- Link 192).

Will upload this psot and add another for some of the replies regarding your recommendations.

Again, really appreciate all the replies, it’s so nice to hear actuals owners opinions, as I only know so much about the Devialet’s, and the offers I have been given are only there for this week (can’t wait to house trial a pair, just have to take a chance and make my best choice).

Cheers
John
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Then go for the 2 D prems.. a total bargain.. they will do exactly what you want.
88 db probably can do with 500 watts a chan Smile
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Seems from the votes, and comments that it's neck & neck with either a D400 mono set or go for the pair of D-Premiers.

D400 would be set, and most likely no where to go from there (off course still future firmware updates), whereas I could save £2.4k going for the D-Premier pair and if way in the future Devialet still allow me to upgrade then could change them to D800 mono's (or whatever they would have changed to by that time).

The D-Premiers are 2 years old, and not sure if they only came wiht the original 2 year warranty (then no warranty left) or came with the current 5 year warranty (the have 3 years warranty left).

I must say, I do like the thought of the Matte Black finish rather than the Chrome, but everybody has different tastes.

Another thing is, I really can't seem to find any specs on-line telling me what a pair of D-Premeirs become.

Rodney, I know you mention 500watts in the post above, but is that 500watts at 6ohms or 500watts 8ohms (my speakers are 8ohms). I know one D-Premier is 240watts at 6ohms, but what do a pair put out.

Australia (Perth)
all power outputs quoted are into 6 ohm..Devialet is french.. they do odd things...
Given that information I voted for the pair of D-Premier since then you get the advantages of duo-mono, better cases, better remotes than the D200, and the downsides don't seem major for you.

With dual-mono you get 4x lower distortion, more than double the power with the big cases (only double the power when constrained by the D200 cases), and the ability to bi-amp if your speakers work better that way than dual-mono. The D-Premier have superior cases so can produce more power and are more likely to get upgrades trickled down from the D900. The remotes are better (smoother action) than those with the 200 and may be IR-capable (can anyone with one confirm that?). SAM won't work for you but the additional power would. You have a robust WiFi setup and are happy to use SPDIF to USB. If money weren't an object the D800 would be superior of course, but the relative prices are vastly in favor of the D-Premier over all the other options there. Aesthetically I would prefer the matte finish of the D-Premier too, as an aside, but that's up to your taste. Any of these options will be great though, so enjoy whatever you choose.
Yes, I've got really lucky with a couple of gooooooood offers  Wink 

I can hear what some may say about going for the D400 option - current model and Ethernet / USB inputs. I would certainly not have a problem with this mono set-up, but it’s £2.4k dearer than both D-Premiers. Off course the D400 is actually 2 x D200's both Masters, so could sell one if I really need some quick money. Saying that the D-Premiers are also full Masters, and again if really stuck could sell one also (or sell one and use the money to update to a current D250).

If the D400 (2 x D200's) then easy to sell just one, but as the D-Premiers are the Matt Black version then no problem selling, but if later want to use the single one having been upgraded to a D250, then if buying another one would most likely never get a chance of the Matt Black again.

Actually the Matt black has me intrigued, and I do like the sound of it. Yes, the standard Chrome models would look stunning on my low cabinet, but I feel the Matt Black will have a constrained elegance that I may actually prefer (a Stealth Warrior Tongue ).

Yes it is going to be a lot of money if I wanted to upgrade the D-Premiers, but if I’m already starting £2.4k cheaper, then for an extra £450 would get the 1st one a full upgrade and reapply the 5 year warranty. So for the same price as the D400 set I would essentially get a D250 (upgraded) and a D-Premier (with the option to upgrade down the track). Yes, having to do a dual upgrade would be big money in the future, but I get to save £2.4k now, and put that away for a rainiy day when I can afford the upgrades to D250 (or whatever comes down the track).

Actually that is one thing that has me intrigued, as if in a couple of years there is a new hardware upgrade for all models I could use my saved £2.4k and use that for the new beaut upgrade. With the D400 set I would have to pay for a double upgrade (2 units), whereas with the D-Premier I already have the saved £2.4k for the 1st D-Premier to be upgraded. Been told by dealer that the upgrades are still available, but just need to send the units over to France for the upgrade (shipping included in price for Oz-France-Oz with this and upgrade costing £2850).

I know I can’t get anymore of a discount for the D400 set, but I may try and milk a bit more for the D-Premiers. Even if I don’t get a dollar saving, I’m going to see if I can get some good digital Coax cables thrown in as part of the deal (I don’t have any digital coax cables, only standard IC RCA’s). Also would see if I could get an optical cable to run direct from my Mac Mini (3.5m output) direct into the D-Premiers. I will also need a cable from the D-Premier to my Sub1 (I have some cheaper 5m RCA’s at present for this, but would hope for something a bit better). The dealer may find it easier to throw in some good cables, rather than give me a discount on the £4.4k D-Premiers.

Decisions, decisions.

To make the D-Premiers not seem so dear, I’m hoping to get about £1.25k for my current A21 amp (what I paid for it 3 months ago) and also sell my Sanders Sound Preamp (not even taken out the box yet, but again hoping for £1.25k). I could then also sell my Klein DAC (£250) and sell some XLR & RCA cables (another £250+). This would get me to £3k, which would then mean only a £1.4k upgrade from my current set-up to the D-Premier mono set-up.

Cheers
John

PS, I’ve just snagged a 2nd hand Logitech Transporter for £250, so could use this as a transport (no pun intended) and use the AES digital out from the Logitech into the AES of the D-Premier  Smile

Australia (Perth)
(04-Feb-2016, 21:07)deviousalet Wrote: The remotes are better (smoother action) than those with the 200 and may be IR-capable (can anyone with one confirm that?).

Yes, the D-Premiers are IR remotes.

Australia (Perth)
No they're not, they're all Zigbee protocol, so radio based.

The D-Premier does have an infrared sensor but you need Devialet to make you a custom config since they've removed the option from the configurator.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands