Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
silly comment on the Stereophile site
who is this guy?  And a Tesla is just an electric motor on an axle!

"However, two problems
1) As it is so 'integrated' it makes upgrading (or just wanting something different) VERY expensive. This of course is not limited to Devaliet - for example, the same applies to 'active' speakers and is in some ways related. If you've got active speakers you are not likely to buy a Devaliet and if you've got a Devaliet you aren't likely to buy active speakers.
And there are ALWAYS better DACs, better streamers, etc. than the ones in ANY 'integrated' box.
2) Why do they make it look EXACTLY like bathroom scales? If I bought one Mrs Spacehound would instantly try and weigh herself on it.
Were it not for my point 1 it is likely I would have bought one some time ago. If they made one WITHOUT the DAC etc at a lower price I probably would.
What is it?
Basically the Devaliet amplifier is just the old Quad 405 'small and accurate class A plus a power amp' current dumping system with the current dumping part done digitally. Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/devia...wAJOhsU.99"

;-)
Credibility instantly downgraded by consistent mis-spelling of Devialet, and unnecessary use of capitals and garish formatting. (Harsh, but effective.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(04-Feb-2016, 18:29)thumb5 Wrote: Credibility instantly downgraded by consistent mis-spelling of Devialet, and unnecessary use of capitals and garish formatting.  (Harsh, but effective.)

I'm still just breaking in our new D400's but last night when listening to very familiar tracks we had not yet played on the D's, it was just a revelation.  Our system is now on a level I hadn't imagined nor have heard to date and this clown diminishes the product as an "also ran" copy of old 1970's technology. 

;-)
Some guy's comments on the 'net will not make my Devialet suddenly sound worse! I find it best to ignore this stuff.

Although I must admit, my D800's do look like bathroom scales ........
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Love my bathroom scales. The guys is right about what he says about upgrading(unless you take into account the free firmware upgrades). What he misses is that because the Devialet has an integrated DAC and not an outboard one with another cable, it sounds so good that it's hard to beat with separates. His loss

That message does mostly seem to come across in reviews.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I own only one of these, but I love my 250! It even hangs on the wall!
Has any of you heard the Quad 405? It was a really horrid sounding amplifier. The guy commenting is completely off target. I do not think he has heard a 405 nor a Devialet. Or maybe he is just venting his frustrations... Bad either way.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Wait... it doesn't work as a bathroom scale?  When I step on mine it says my weight is 200... and warms my toes while I'm at it.

Hey, for what it's worth, I was a separate component kinda guy for over 30 years and had a lot more $$ invested in my system than I do now.  Sold all the separates and bought a Dev 200 that sounds far better than any of the many different incarnations of components I've had over the years, not to mention the savings in interconnects and power cords.

The only problem I have is that no matter how much I stick to my diet, I can't seem to lose weight.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(04-Feb-2016, 21:21)mdconnelly Wrote: Wait... it doesn't work as a bathroom scale?  When I step on mine it says my weight is 200... and warms my toes while I'm at it.

Hey, for what it's worth, I was a separate component kinda guy for over 30 years and had a lot more $$ invested in my system than I do now.  Sold all the separates and bought a Dev 200 that sounds far better than any of the many different incarnations of components I've had over the years, not to mention the savings in interconnects and power cords.

The only problem I have is that no matter how much I stick to my diet, I can't seem to lose weight.

Downgrade to firmware 6.0, and hey presto!  You'll weigh 30 less!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Just think of how pissed that person is going to be when they discover that the Phantom integrates the speaker into the pre/pro/amp/dac/streamer and we can't even upgrade our cables anymore...oh wait there still is a power cable isn't there. Maybe Devialet can work on that. I mean exactly how are you supposed to have a relationship with your stereo if you can't upgrade a piece of it every so often. Well, at least you can pet a Phantom and it will sing back to you.