Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Smell
(06-Feb-2016, 09:47)Confused Wrote: Gary - You have my sympathy!  I absolutely hate it when kit goes wrong.  The good news is that this is a well known issue and is not anything serious, it has cropped up in a number of threads over the years, see example below:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...ight=smell

Maybe you'll get lucky and Devialet will throw in a few Original D'Atelier innards while they are fixing yours? Wink

Yes, I remembered reading something like this before and I do a search using Bing (which is better than the forum's search button). I just wish they can send a replacement part to the local distributor quickly and get my unit fix ASAP. I'm going to seriously miss my Devialet for the next few weeks. Luckily, I will be having my 10-day holiday from Monday with my daughter to Montgenevre which will take my mind off it during this period.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(06-Feb-2016, 10:09)thumb5 Wrote: You might want to check what version of firmware it comes back with - might be different to what it has now!

I won't want to send mine back to France, if possible. Tongue
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(06-Feb-2016, 10:30)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 08:34)hk6230 Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 08:09)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Did anything unusual happen for this to occur? Or does this sort of stuff just happen out of the blue?

It just happened. I paused my music with Le200 stayed power on and went out for a walk. When I returned, the room was filled with a pungent burning smell. I went sniffing around all my components and the stinko is Le200.

There you go; proof that exercise is bad. Thanks for the tip. I'm staying in my seat  Tongue

Ha ha, yeah, lucky I just took a walk and not doing my regular 10km run. Big Grin

(06-Feb-2016, 11:55)hk6230 Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 10:30)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 08:34)hk6230 Wrote: It just happened. I paused my music with Le200 stayed power on and went out for a walk. When I returned, the room was filled with a pungent burning smell. I went sniffing around all my components and the stinko is Le200.

There you go; proof that exercise is bad. Thanks for the tip. I'm staying in my seat  Tongue

Ha ha, yeah, lucky I just took a walk and not doing my regular 10km run.  Big Grin

Sorry to hear your news, Gary. This is exactly why I am nervous about leaving equipment running 24/7 if I am not around, but AIR makes it mandatory !!

I hope everything works out for you - enjoy the skiing  Big Grin
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(06-Feb-2016, 12:20)Zappydev Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 11:55)hk6230 Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 10:30)Pim van Vliet Wrote: There you go; proof that exercise is bad. Thanks for the tip. I'm staying in my seat  Tongue

Ha ha, yeah, lucky I just took a walk and not doing my regular 10km run.  Big Grin

Sorry to hear your news, Gary. This is exactly why I am nervous about leaving equipment running 24/7 if I am not around, but AIR makes it mandatory !!

Why does AIR make it mandatory? Do you lose connection?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(06-Feb-2016, 14:22)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 12:20)Zappydev Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 11:55)hk6230 Wrote: Ha ha, yeah, lucky I just took a walk and not doing my regular 10km run.  Big Grin

Why does AIR make it mandatory? Do you lose connection?

I use a NUC with Win10 and Roon into a D400 with AIR over ethernet cable. It is regularly the case that if I power down the system e.g. overnight or for a few days, then when I try and restart I am plagued with AIR crashes, BSOD and reboots. Just yesterday, the system was rebooting itself over several hours, but then it settled down, and I have had almost 24 hours of continuous operation, with a variety of redbook and hi-res files. Now it is stable, I confidently expect that it will stay that way until I power down again. At this time, I cannot say whether it is the Devialet or the NUC (or both) that needs to be kept under power. I have not investigated shorter cycle times, since once the system is running, I don't want the pain of upsetting it again.

It defies logic, but has happened so many times now, there is no doubt about it, and Gary's meltdown has left me very nervous, so next time I might try leaving the NUC running and just powering down the D400. I can only assume that it is a temperature stability problem though, which is more likely to be from the D400.

I welcome any suggestions, but over the last 6 months I have tried every tweak and option, to no avail.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Actually, I do power down my Le200 when I'm not listening. It is my NUC that I leave it on 24/7. It had been weeks since my NUC rebooted/BSOD. And the last time it rebooted was because there was a Win10 update. After I uninstall all updates, it stays on stably.

This case of 'burning smell' is a common problem and mainly due to the internal power filter. FYI, with the burning smell, the Le200 was still operating well. I was just worried that it may damage other components, hence, I shut it down totally and awaits for it to be fixed before I power it one again.

(06-Feb-2016, 16:11)hk6230 Wrote: Actually, I do power down my Le200 when I'm not listening. It is my NUC that I leave it on 24/7. It had been weeks since my NUC rebooted/BSOD. And the last time it rebooted was because there was a Win10 update. After I uninstall all updates, it stays on stably.

This case of 'burning smell' is a common problem and mainly due to the internal power filter. FYI, with the burning smell, the Le200 was still operating well. I was just worried that it may damage other components, hence, I shut it down totally and awaits for it to be fixed before I power it one again.

Bit worrying - especially as the Devialet doesn't power itself down properly when you turn it 'off'. A house filled with smoke and electrical smell, from a known fault, would surely be something Devialet should address by replacing all power filters - recall style?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(06-Feb-2016, 16:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(06-Feb-2016, 16:11)hk6230 Wrote: Actually, I do power down my Le200 when I'm not listening. It is my NUC that I leave it on 24/7. It had been weeks since my NUC rebooted/BSOD. And the last time it rebooted was because there was a Win10 update. After I uninstall all updates, it stays on stably.

Bit worrying - especially as the Devialet doesn't power itself down properly when you turn it 'off'. A house filled with smoke and electrical smell, from a known fault, would surely be something Devialet should address by replacing all power filters - recall style?

Mine did it and there is no smoke just a smell.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Yeah, just smell with no smoke. And, the smell lingered in my room for a long time, even when I open my windows to air my room. And, now is winter. I do agree with Hifi_swlon that Devialet should have done a voluntarily recall to replace the power filter board.