Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet D200 - Trinnov ST2 - ML Montis
I source my music most of the time from Spottify Premium and a NAS (CDs and high-def download) that stream into a Bluesound Node, digitally connected to a Trinnov ST2 , digitally connected D200, Supra Quadrax cable (10m), and Martin Logan Montis in a 6.5 x 10.5 x 3m room. 
Montis are placed about 1.5m from sidewalls and 2.5m from rear walls (one of them in front of an open double-door to a 10m long corridor).

I would like to share 2 experiences which I will share with the Martin Logan Owners (MLO) and Devialetchat platforms.

1) TRINNOV ST2 
With the Trinnov ST2 set to bypass mode, the sound experience is great (see similar postings from others on D200-Montis combination).

When the Trinnov is switched-in the music comes into focus (phase) in an amazing way.  The change is so intense that friends with only a mild HiFi interest have their chin on their chest and say that suddenly they can identify the position of all instruments and artists.

I think all HiFi lovers owe themselves the Trinnov ST2 experience. Its capability to correct phase/timing and frequency response to makes you ask yourself how much money one should spend on expensive connects etc when most imperfections are compensated.

2) D200 CHALLENGED BY MONTIS LOAD WHEN PLAYED LOUD?
At parties the D200 is played continuously at 0 dB on the D200 display.  Temperatures of the Class-A amplifier section run up to 57 degrees Celsius.  There is no noticeable distortion but after somebody pushed the volume to +15dB or so, the amplifier started to cut-out.  It took a while to cool down, even though I placed a PC fan on its side after the overheating.  Is this a common issue?  I can of course increase the digital input volume (the Trinnov allows a maximum of +28dB) but I do not know if that would be bad for the input section of the D200.  
After similar issue, I switched my former D170 for my old Yamaha M60 (1986) power amp which happily pumped current 2x 100/200/400W at 8/4/2 Ohm for the rest of the evening having no issues with the Montis load while running at full blast.  
I never used the option to re-balance Class A vs Class D share of the amplification.  What is the solution? 

I look forward to your replies.
In all likelyhood the Trinnov , like my DIRAC , applys a -10db digital attenuation to deal with digital clipping when it corrects
This also has the same effect as yours , volumes in the +db and my D prem runs hot , it has shut down once or twice
As to correction.. I swear by DIRAC .. without it the sound is great , with it , the improvement in sound is totally mind blowing

My 4 subs are also a revelation..they are used , not to give more bass, but to smooth the rooms bass response ( a swarm of subs) and it works brilliantly
tight articulate bass , goes down to 16hz , at any level you want
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room