Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logitech Media Server
Got my 200 up and running yesterday with iTunes/Apple Remote which of course kind of sucks, but we know that. (Fwiw my system is a 27" iMac, music is on a Synology DS214play, router is a Linksys WRT1900AC, and everything is Blue Jeans/Belden Cat6a)

Anyway installed LMS with Squeezeplay and it works freaking great! I can stream all resolutions, I can listen to Pandora, and Sirius, and all my local radio stations! For a controller I'm using iPeng on my iPhone 5s and my iPad Air.. my network is hardwired and it's been playing a mix or 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192 with no issues, no drop outs and it sounds killer..
Hello Erik - great to hear it's all working well for you.

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks Ian!
Well after a bit of listening I can say that although LMS works great and has great features and is stable it really doesn't sound that great.. iTunes or Jriver both sound quite a bit better.. sucks..
@ErikM - I know exactly what you mean! It would be so good to have a user friendly device that would allow you to listen to music without needing to use a PC. (My brain associates tuning on a PC to starting work in the morning) Trouble is, JRiver / AIR etc. when correctly set up is very difficult to beat for sound quality. See the threads re the Totaldac D1, it looks like this can get the edge over AIR for sound quality, but this is a Euro 5000 piece of kit. More reasonably priced equivalents just don't get there sound quality wise. The search continues ......
Erik - how does your Sonos (I recall it's modified?) sound relative to the other sources you've tried?

I must say for everyday listening I'm pretty happy with my Cullen-modified ZP90. AIR does have the edge for sound quality, but it's not by any means "night and day" (insert cliché of choice) and it's much less user-friendly. Also the low-level tension of "will it drop out...?" detracts somewhat from the enjoyment.

Maybe my system, or my ears, is/are not sufficiently resolving for me to hear Sonos' deficiencies. It would be interesting to do a direct comparison with some of the more illustrious sources Guillaume and Rufus have been trying out...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(05-Sep-2014, 08:54)thumb5 Wrote: It would be interesting to do a direct comparison with some of the more illustrious sources Guillaume and Rufus have been trying out...
I agree. One thing to think about, if such a device uses USB, then you are still getting the benefit of the Devialet's asynchronous DAC etc. So surely you should be able to at least match AIR without something costing a fortune. AIR works fine with a cheap PC. I guess what is needed is a dedicated music player that could output via Ethernet compatible with a Devialet? Is this simply another way of describing a NAS drive? Not quite, I'm thinking of something designed and built as a "proper" hi fi component. Might happen one day?
(05-Sep-2014, 08:54)thumb5 Wrote: Maybe my system, or my ears, is/are not sufficiently resolving for me to hear Sonos' deficiencies.

Well your Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage are exceptional speakers, possibly the best Guarneris ever made. And I bet they sound rather special with the 200. Smile

I think that unless you are making direct comparisons with other transports/streamers then you're not necessarily going to hear any deficiencies as such unless of course there is something wrong/broken in your setup... for e.g. for ages I thought the MiND 180 was perfect, until I heard some of the other options out there! Wink I actually still think the MiND is fantastic but it's only after hearing what is possible with say the totaldac that I think hmmm, ok, it's missing this and this....

There's nothing wrong with being happy with what you've got and just focussing on enjoying good tunes. It's too easy to become obsessed with the latest tweak and forget about actually enjoying the music... I should know! Blush

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
This looks very interesting:

http://www.sotm.sonore.us/SOtM1.html

Thanks to Philoouu for sharing this with me! Smile

Is anyone else on here familiar with this?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(05-Sep-2014, 11:06)GuillaumeB Wrote: This looks very interesting:

http://www.sotm.sonore.us/SOtM1.html

Thanks to Philoouu for sharing this with me! Smile

Is anyone else on here familiar with this?

Guillaume

Don't know it, but it does look very interesting, especially at $449, though the price nearly doubles when you add the battery PSU (as you surely would ...).
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London