Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best CD Player for using D200 DAC?
I actually have no idea why the 2 inoputs sound totally different
I have used another device with both spdif and aes output , changed cables etc .. same difference
Pals of mine pick up the differences immediately
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(24-Feb-2016, 09:36)Rodney Gold Wrote: I actually have no idea why the 2 inoputs sound totally different
I have used another device with both spdif and aes output , changed cables etc .. same difference
Pals of mine pick up the differences immediately

Did you read my comment 2 posts before? Could that be the cause?!

Devialet promotes the fact that there is less than 10cm signallpath from D/A conversion to the bindingposts. And I assume that this short of a signalpath is really one basic foundation of the precise sound of our Devs. Hence it could also be possible, if you mount the inputs (AES/RCA) in a different way, even if one thinks that these are minor differences (perhaps even not measurable with your multimeter), that the consequence is just this difference in sound?

gui

...ok, slightly off topic  Rolleyes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(23-Feb-2016, 06:42)Rodney Gold Wrote: I have a DSP based room correction unit with SPDIF and AES/.EBU output , both live
Im using kimber Orchid AES and D60 illuminati for SPDIF

The AES sounds totally different to the SPDIF .. you can just switch inputs to compare

They should sound similar with maybe small differences .. but in this case its huge
the SPDIF is less "airy" , has more impactful bass and the midrange is more prominent , the AES is far more relaxed , has better resolution and deeper bass but loses out on pace..it sounds "slower"
The differences are not subtle and I and others can pick them out instantly
Not sure what I prefer... for pacey music the spdif is better.. but it sounds harsher and harder

I am not sure how much of your impression of slower sound via AES/EBU is caused by the Kimber cable. I tested several different AES cables and I had a similar sound impression with that cable. My DIY AES cable has better timing (and resolution etc.) than my SPDIF.
I only have apogee wyedeyed and the kimber..tried both.
Maybe its whatever input chips Devialet use
I use 1" wide munsdorf silver ribbons as speaker cables .. so very little loading on the terminals.. bananas
It could also be something in the MiniDSP hardware ..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room