Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bristol Sound and Vision Show 2016
(26-Feb-2016, 17:55)tyefighter Wrote: were these the speakers that were in the Linn demo room last year?
very nice speakers, i would have loved to of heard this setup with the devialets

Might have been a previous version of these but yes they were set up with a Linn Exakt system last year. Pricey system but will be interesting to hear how it sounds.
Devialet D200, Linn Majik DS, Pro-Ject X-Pack turntable, PMC Fact 8 speakers,
Creek headphone amp, Sennheiser HD700, Monitor Audio sub.
(26-Feb-2016, 16:29)Jgw911 Wrote: Going down to the show tomorrow but must see/listen to this - wow!
http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/news_detail...tBuwvDfWrV

https://mobile.twitter.com/kudosaudio/st...2410941440

I visited the Bristol show on Saturday, I had a great time there with much to report, but first things first.  Like Jwg911 I had spotted the Kudos / Devialet active set up in the Bristol Show Guide, so it was on my must see (listen) list of things to audition yesterday.

I did hear the Kudos Titan 808's at last years show, and quite liked them as I recall.  So what would they sound like with 3 Devialet 400's in an active set up?  In a word, dreadful.  OK - I know you have to be careful with forming opinions at shows, unfamiliar kit playing unfamiliar music in unfamiliar rooms.  However, this was a set up that would cost you north of £60k and it sounded just plain bad.  It did have the level of clarity and detail that you might expect, so I suppose there is a limit to how bad you can get with a £60k set up, but this system was not something I would want to listen to for that long, overall it sounded very lean, you could hear down to the lowest octaves, it was all there, but the bass was quiet and sounded very disconnected to the rest of the music.  I just plain didn't like it!  I'm sure that done well a fully active mulita-Devialet system could sound spectacular, but this for me was a demonstration of how a complicated set up done 'not quite right' could be a shocker.  So what was so wrong with this system?  It is hard to describe, but I'll put it like this, a little while later I was listening to the Harbeth P3ESR's (1.7k), the little mini monitors, and this set up again was a little lean perhaps but the little Harbeth's somehow sounded just right.  OK you would never want the Harbeth's for banging out hard core dance tracks, they are small minitor style speakers, but I could have sat listening to them for a very long time, terrific little things, but the Kudos / Devialet system was starting to drive me bonkers after 10 minutes.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(28-Feb-2016, 10:37)Confused Wrote: I visited the Bristol show on Saturday, I had a great time there with much to report, but first things first.  Like Jwg911 I had spotted the Kudos / Devialet active set up in the Bristol Show Guide, so it was on my must see (listen) list of things to audition yesterday.

Hi Confused,
Thanks for this interesting feed-back.
Have you listened to anything interesting in the field where you are actively researching ie sources/streamers ?
So what else was at Bristol? The most striking thing for me this year is the rise of Melco. Last year Melco had the N1A and M1Z on display in a general area, and only on display, not connected to anything, not even powered up. Move on one year, and Melcos were everywhere! Like a strange virus that gives you better hearing, the things were spreading throughout the show. They were in the Devialet Room, the KEF room, the Moon room and many more. I mentioned this to the chap on the Melco stand, who gave me his little leaflet showing that Melco's were indeed being used by various other manufactures in ten other rooms in the show. Quite something when you consider that 12 months ago they were just emerging. There were three reps on the Melco stand when I visited, two of the guys were talking to anyone who was passing, a third guy, who was Japanese appeared to be trying to avoid the public. Was he some Melco guru flown in from Japan I wondered, the man who would know all the Melco secrets? Whilst the other two were busy, I approached the Japanese looking chap, who as it turned out was indeed a native Japanese speaker. I asked the obvious question about Roon. We have no plans for Roon he advised. He then went on to say that Melco were aware that a lot of people were interested in Roon integration with a Melco and that this was something they were looking at, "if we were to do Roon we would want to do it right", he said. I asked him if Roon integration was actually technically possible with a Melco, would the hardware as it stands technically support it? "Yes I think so" was the response. So is Roon coming to Melco anytime soon? Doesn't look like it, but will it come some day? Maybe, but maybe not. Another one of those teasingly frustrating prospects.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Feb-2016, 16:13)Gentleman Wrote: Hi.

If I am allowed to place a wish for an audition I would point towards Wilson Benesch ACT One Evo.

I am interested on a first impression of this new speaker which was positioned by Mr. Sircom close to the latest Magicos....

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

What to say here?  When I first visited the Wilson Benesch room they were demonstrating the Discovery II standmount, I think together with the Toros Infrasonic Generator.  First impressions of this set up were good, and I did have to wander up to the speakers to be clear if it was the Discovery's or the ACT One's actually running. (they were side by side)  The problem with this demonstration was the music.  OK, we all have different tastes in music, but there were a couple of people listening that got a fit of the giggles actually laughing at how bad the music was.  Intrigued, I "Shazamed" one of the tracks, it was "Bohmenian Rhapsody" (so far so good), by the "California Guitar Trio" (oh dear).  This is a kind of Spanish guitar instrumental version of the great Queen classic.  All I can say is that if you need clearing up, try finding this track on line, it might make you happy for all the wrong reasons.  No offence is intended to any forum members who are fans of the "California Guitar Trio", anyone's own musical taste is entirely their own business, there is much music I like that I am sure others would be horrified by.  The point is, there is a limit to how much you can judge a system based on acoustic guitar music, no vocals, no bass, symbols and many other things.  This was taking "safe" to the extreme.  Later I returned to the Wilson Benesch room when they were running the Wilson Benesch ACT One Evo.  This time there was a sign on the Toros Infrasonic Generator clearly stating that it was not running.  My impressions?  To be honest it is hard to say, with more bland acoustic fair being played, but they did have a peculiar tone to them, they sounded kind of "hollow".  Impossible to judge though with the room set up and music played, but it is fair to say that I preferred the Discovery stand-mounts being played earlier.  I'll be kind to the speakers and put all this down to a poor demo, but I can only judge from what I have heard, and on the day they didn't sound like £20k's worth of speaker to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNNcMDZn2Qk
(28-Feb-2016, 11:04)Our Wrote:
(28-Feb-2016, 10:37)Confused Wrote: I visited the Bristol show on Saturday, I had a great time there with much to report, but first things first.  Like Jwg911 I had spotted the Kudos / Devialet active set up in the Bristol Show Guide, so it was on my must see (listen) list of things to audition yesterday.

Hi Confused,
Thanks for this interesting feed-back.
Have you listened to anything interesting in the field where you are actively researching ie sources/streamers ?

I was taking a interest in streamers yes.  Although to be honest, beyond the fact that Melco's were everywhere I didn't learn very much.  I think it is impossible to judge individual audio components in unfamiliar set-ups in hotel rooms, but I would give a worthy mention to the T&A room, who had a very good little system running, a system that sounded "right" lots of detail but very listenable, great balance. At the front end, a Melco N1Z.  I'm not sure if the Meclo was direct to DAC or the CD/ streamer they had on display, it sounded good either way.  (see pic)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another show highlight for me was vinyl record cleaners. Two new products were being demonstrated, one from Pro-Ject, one from Pristine Vinyl. Of the two, the Pristine Vinyl ViVac RCS2 is the one you would want. It actually looks like a decent quality turntable, its quiet, and has a very cleaver way of cleaning the records. The Pro-Ject is very basic looking, noisier, but does look well made. The thing is though, the Pro-Ject looks like it does a good job and it's £299 retail. I think the balance of functionality and build quality for the price makes it an absolute steal. But the ViVac RCS2 is the one you would want, that is, if you had nothing better to spend £1900 on.

http://www.pristinevinyl.com/

http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=vc-s
(28-Feb-2016, 11:23)Confused Wrote: So what else was at Bristol? The most striking thing for me this year is the rise of Melco. Last year Melco had the N1A and M1Z on display in a general area, and only on display, not connected to anything, not even powered up. Move on one year, and Melcos were everywhere! Like a strange virus that gives you better hearing, the things were spreading throughout the show. They were in the Devialet Room, the KEF room, the Moon room and many more. I mentioned this to the chap on the Melco stand, who gave me his little leaflet showing that Melco's were indeed being used by various other manufactures in ten other rooms in the show. Quite something when you consider that 12 months ago they were just emerging. There were three reps on the Melco stand when I visited, two of the guys were talking to anyone who was passing, a third guy, who was Japanese appeared to be trying to avoid the public. Was he some Melco guru flown in from Japan I wondered, the man who would know all the Melco secrets? Whilst the other two were busy, I approached the Japanese looking chap, who as it turned out was indeed a native Japanese speaker. I asked the obvious question about Roon. We have no plans for Roon he advised. He then went on to say that Melco were aware that a lot of people were interested in Roon integration with a Melco and that this was something they were looking at, "if we were to do Roon we would want to do it right", he said. I asked him if Roon integration was actually technically possible with a Melco, would the hardware as it stands technically support it? "Yes I think so" was the response. So is Roon coming to Melco anytime soon? Doesn't look like it, but will it come some day? Maybe, but maybe not. Another one of those teasingly frustrating prospects.

Thank you for sharing this. I was really hoping for some good news about Roon integration...

Was there any news about the official Melco app?
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(28-Feb-2016, 14:58)petrik Wrote: Thank you for sharing this. I was really hoping for some good news about Roon integration...

Much to my eternal shame, I forgot to ask......    I did realise this soon after I visited the stand, but never made it back to ask.
(28-Feb-2016, 15:27)Confused Wrote:
(28-Feb-2016, 14:58)petrik Wrote: Thank you for sharing this. I was really hoping for some good news about Roon integration...

Much to my eternal shame, I forgot to ask......    I did realise this soon after I visited the stand, but never made it back to ask.

Ok, no worries. I just thought to ask since I would really like to buy a Melco N1A or N1Z. But I won't buy it before there is a good app for it. I have got used to Roon's fantastic usability, and everything else feel so old fashioned in comparison.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland