Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CuBox Project X
Nice stuff, Kunter. Very tidy, very cheap, and sounds like it works super good.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
@Rufus...

I think reclockers will help. This is whats happening with the TotalDAC server you guys tested. With Cubox, you can get away with a toslink cable instead of USB. Toslink's don't cost much and this device is said to give good quality output from that as well... However, I am so happy with the sound now, I don't want to mess with things...

@Confused...

Its exactly what you describe right now. Only instead of JRiver, the program running is the superlight MPD (Music Player Daemon) which is then controlled via Ipad with MPaD application. You just attach the disk of your choice, and copy your music files (connecting via another PC on your network, no need for the periodic loads)

And if you want, you can still connect to a NAS if thats what you prefer...

Once I finish all the tests, I will try to post a complete "how to", or rather "how I did it"...

In the mean time, anyone interested is more than welcome to join the test. From what I can tell, my Cubox, which is the most powerful four core version is using only around 10% of one of is cores... so the Cubox one level below (i2eX) should also do the job nicely, and its only 99.99USD without wireless or bluetooth, which possibly you will end up disabling anyways...

Cheers...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(19-Sep-2014, 22:03)Kunter Wrote: The only tweak I could do is to move to a real time kernel (have no idea what it means... http://mubox.voyage.hk/realtime_kernel_cuboxi ) which made a big improvement on the sound.

This frightens me a bit! I am a reasonably competent user of a PC, but this this I find totally baffling! As a newbie to Linux etc, am I likely to struggle getting this set up?
(22-Sep-2014, 20:45)Confused Wrote:
(19-Sep-2014, 22:03)Kunter Wrote: The only tweak I could do is to move to a real time kernel (have no idea what it means... http://mubox.voyage.hk/realtime_kernel_cuboxi ) which made a big improvement on the sound.

This frightens me a bit! I am a reasonably competent user of a PC, but this this I find totally baffling! As a newbie to Linux etc, am I likely to struggle getting this set up?

Its quite easy... the web site has explicit explanation. If you ever used Command Line, it should be quite straightforward.

This is the main issue with computer audio... its very easy to get sound. But not so easy to get the best sound.

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
@Kunter - I used to set up DOS menus (pre-windows), do Basic programing and various other stuff, this was a (very) long time ago but I’m sure I could work it out. For the price of the thing, I might as well give it a go! However, this will be when I have some free time though, which probably means I'll never get around to it!
Nice work Kunter! Reading all this I'm starting to feel an itch now that my 'music server' is almost finished! Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(23-Sep-2014, 15:43)Confused Wrote: @Kunter - I used to set up DOS menus (pre-windows), do Basic programing and various other stuff, this was a (very) long time ago but I’m sure I could work it out. For the price of the thing, I might as well give it a go! However, this will be when I have some free time though, which probably means I'll never get around to it!

Thats always the case Smile

But I got mine up and running in 5 minutes... 5 more to load the real time kernel.
If you have a Mac pc, connecting through the Command Line prompt using ssh is no time. For windows you need something like Putty...

Cheers.
Istanbul, Turkey
And yet another toy...

http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com.tr/....html#more

This guy will be familiar with ex Squeezebox owners like me...

Cheers.
Istanbul, Turkey
Just for fun I've also ordered a Cubox i4Pro! Smile It's currently out of stock but hopefully I'll receive it and the other items next week.

Also ordered:
Anker E4 2nd gen 13000mAh battery
Anker E5 15000mAh battery
Akasa Lokstor X21 ESATA-SATA Enclosure
2x Sandisk Ultra microSDHC memorycards 8GB

I'm curious how this solution compares to my Server2012/AO/AIR setup. If it's not better sounding or not as convenient I'll find other uses for this hardware.

Planning to use the Voyage MuBox MPD realtime OS package as well (first). Later I might also try Volumio and VortexBox/Squeezelite.

Also found this reclocker through coincidence: https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital...-reclocker

Not planning to use or try it myself but maybe it's interesting for others.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I've been running Voyage MPD (it's a Debian-based distro) for a week or so on my old Asus Eeebox PC. I didn't want to trash the hard disk (which has Windows 8 loaded and I've been running jriver on it with Fidelizer to optimise the OS. - works well), so I'm booting off a USB stick and avoiding the hard disk, which is probably still spinning and causing noise. It's a temporary test and I want to see whether it sounded better with a Linux-based solution before forking out money for a Cubox.

Well it's been a success. It's marginal whether the Windows 8/Jriver with Fidelizer sounds better or worse than Voyage MPD. Fidelizer definitely makes a difference to a Windows machine, but if pushed I'd say the Voyage MPD system has the advantage sonically. I have a few problems though - one of which is the USB outputs on the Voyage-booted system seem to have randomly-assigned UUIDs on boot up. Another issue is the Linux kernel seems to get confused on restoring the box from sleep mode. I'm hoping both these problems might go away if I change hardware.