Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLC vs. 5Ghz Connection
Devialet has mentioned in some of their literature that there are sonic benefits from the PLC connection versus connecting at 5 or 2.4 ghz.  I wonder if anyone has been able to connect in either mode and what the benefits in sound really are?  Thoughts?
My Phantoms are always connected via PLC. You can check that in latest Spark version. Since I am already PLC to extend my wifi I would have prefer a wifi connection (ideally the 5 GHz) but there is no way to force a specific connection. The only difference may be stability.
In my case, 2 Phantoms and a dialog are connected on the same power strip (so PLC should work), but they are connecting via wifi 5ghz. I cannot think of any good reason why sq would be any better on Ethernet, PLC or wifi, so I do not care as long as it is stable. Either the bits transmit or they don't (and you hear nothing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(24-Feb-2016, 19:10)martinskeem Wrote: In my case, 2 Phantoms and a dialog are connected on the same power strip (so PLC should work), but they are connecting via wifi 5ghz. I cannot think of any sound reason why sq would be any better on Ethernet, PLC or wifi, so I do not care as long as it is stable. Either the bits transmit or they don't (and you hear nothing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming jitter is not a concern for the transmission mechanism that is true. In this case jitter is a non issue because the sound is re-buffered by the Phantom and any clocking issues should be eliminated. To the original poster, which literature suggests that WiFi should be inferior? Please provide a link. With regards to the power strip, is it a surge protecting one? If so, that could explain the inability for the PLC transfer. I have never tried all 3 things right next to each other though and wonder if there may be a "minimum" distance (expected impedance etc between two PLC sources).
Which one should be better....plc or ethernet? If ethernet I should probably buy some ethernet leads.
Ethernet should be more reliable, if reliability is a problem. Otherwise they will sound exactly the same.
I have never had any reliability issues. I was unable to use wifi instead of plc though. Phantoms always pick plc instead of wifi. I just moved Dialog to the same power outlet where Phantoms are because of that. I thought it would be better if the only way is plc how my Phantoms communicate with Dialog. I haven't tested if I hear any difference yet.
Is there any chance that Ethernet connection would help eliminate the lip sync issue, in comparison to PLC connect?
(29-Nov-2016, 22:06)cyrus.b Wrote: Is there any chance that Ethernet connection would help eliminate the lip sync issue, in comparison to PLC connect?
Nope, sorry. The delay is caused by sound processing not data transfer.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
When given a choice, Phantom seem to prefer PLC. But my setup if all WIFI now in two rooms, probably given the distance between the dialog and the Phantoms. But very stable for me - with a few one second long drop outs a day perhaps. Nothing bothersome. So in some situations, Wifi functions just about perfectly. And I can unplug, move to a different room, and the dialog reconnects without rebooting anything. Very nice on this end.