Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just bought a d 200 - a few more questions
(25-Feb-2016, 10:50)thumb Wrote: So, I asked Devialet.  They said that it's case (2), and it has no effect until the input level gets high enough for the maximum output power to be reached.  Presumably when that input level is reached, the amplifier starts compressing.

I do not know, but ADH and PSU seems to have different parameters with 200 watts and 30 watts:

"ADH_CONFIG":{
    "VOLTAGE_0DB":49,
    "PUISSANCE_0DB":200
  },
  "PSU_CONFIG":{
    "V_RUN_MAX":138

vs

"ADH_CONFIG":{
    "VOLTAGE_0DB":19,
    "PUISSANCE_0DB":30
  },
  "PSU_CONFIG":{
    "V_RUN_MAX":78
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(25-Feb-2016, 10:53)Duomike Wrote: Will report my findings in two weeks. Will for sure set the max output to 30 watts. During normal listening i will rarely need more than 0,1 watt.

The omega duos are great speakers especially after modding them heavily. Teflon vcaps in tweeter xo, tweeter time aligned with midrange, xo in external box, everything hardwired. Subs removed from the frame and driven directly by d-sonics amps.  Last weekend listened to wilson shasha and kharma db 11 s, both driven by megabucks electronic at friends places.

Both sounded nice but would not exchange for my system. Low efficiency speakers, even very high end ones, restrict the effortless dynamics compared to horns.

tweeter time aligned with midrange - I've been waiting for someone to do that! How do you avoid diffraction from the midrange horn? I assume the tweeter had to be moved quite a bit back to be properly aligned
I am using very humble, but time aligned speakers at the moment. The design uses 1st order filters to begin with so it was easy to improve components and move the tweeter back to align it with the bass/mid. In combination with room correction this sounds very decent.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(25-Feb-2016, 10:50)thumb5 Wrote: I've always been hazy about what the output power restriction in the configurator actually does.  The two options I thought might be reasonable are:

1) it changes the gain of the amplifier so that a given input level results in more or less output, or

2) it does not change the gain but just limits the maximum output power

So, I asked Devialet.  They said that it's case (2), and it has no effect until the input level gets high enough for the maximum output power to be reached.  Presumably when that input level is reached, the amplifier starts compressing.

If that's right, changing the maximum power output in the configurator shouldn't have any effect on the sound quality unless/until the amplifier is driven up to the configured power limit.

Interesting.
I was hoping that if you listen for example at 1 watt that at the lower output setting the amp uses less digital attentuation compared to the full output mode. This does not seem to be the case. Still some people hear differences between different output power modes, strange!
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
(25-Feb-2016, 12:01)Duomike Wrote: Interesting.
I was hoping that if you listen for example at 1 watt that at the lower output setting the amp uses less digital attentuation compared to the full output mode. This does not seem to be the case. Still some people hear differences between different output power modes, strange!

I am sure you will be able to hear if there is a difference. Your Duos are plenty revealing, much better than what I have in my system.
Devialetless!
Having the d 200 now for a week in my system. It is a demo model from a dealer so i guess it is more or less burned in. During initial setup i restrict the max output to 30
Watts. My listening is between - 30 and - 15, - 15 is really loud. Glad to report that i do not detect any loss of resolution at lower volume settings. This was my main concern before buying the amp. I have not tried higher output settings and compare the sound, kind of a lazy guy.

Ogs, re time alignment. Have build wooden blocks which i put on top of the subs, removed the tweeter from fame and put them on these blocks and then pushed them back, around 23 cm. sounds a lot better, much more depth, soundstage is deeper and wider, more like that of a good dynamic speaker. Additionally everything sounds more natural. A friend who owns the same speaker came over for a listen once. First we listened with tweeter time aligned. Then i hit pause and pushed tweeter forward to its original position and hit play. After a few seconds my friend said, put them back. The difference is quite big
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner