Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 800 in Posi+ive feedback
http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/har...-research/

David
Robert S. Youman (the reviewer) also used the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet-Spec. power cables and briefly commented about them (a positive review but not detailed comparisons).

He mentioned this forum in the review, so might even identify himself as a member.

Overall it seems like a well-balanced and informative review. It was certainly great to read a review of the D800, which is under-reviewed. I was interested in his comparison of the D800 sound to Pass Labs Xs, D'agostina Momentum, and (with his D400 review) Rowland. More to the point for us it was nice to have another evaluation of the difference between the D400 and D800 (better in every way but not a massive difference). I wish reviewers of dual-Devialet would compare them to singles given the ease of that configuration change. The D250 is even more rarely reviewed than the D800. However his Magico Q7 speakers probably need the additional power more than most so wouldn't be the best place for that comparison.

I found it interesting that he found imaging isn't state-of-the-art but detail is, since I find them closely related. Maybe it is a case of hearing what's there vs. where it is? I also wasn't clear what equipment he found to have the best imaging.

His section about switched-mode power supplies seemed weird to me, but I guess that's still a controversial topic in this hobby. It seemed reductionist, like evaluating DACs by the chip used, but I did see the point of noting that a number of the best amps now use switched-mode supplies given that some audiophiles are still stuck to linear power supplies.
Nice review, apart from the usual factual errors of course. Wink

The 'blue gap/gum' material he's talking about is in all Devialet models.

Also I think it the ADH stage that's responsible for the superior bass performance and not/not just the SMPS (which of course has to keep up in supplying power) inside the Devialets.

Again we have a reviewer who seems to think AIR is WiFi only while it's the mandatory protocol used for both ethernet and WiFi.

He forgets to mention/doesn't know SAM can be dialed up and down instead of just being turned on and off.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(03-Mar-2016, 17:39)Antoine Wrote: Nice review, apart from the usual factual errors of course. Wink

The 'blue gap/gum' material he's talking about is in all Devialet models.

Also I think it the ADH stage that's responsible for the superior bass performance and not/not just the SMPS (which of course has to keep up in supplying power) inside the Devialets.

Again we have a reviewer who seems to think AIR is WiFi only while it's the mandatory protocol used for both ethernet and WiFi.

He forgets to mention/doesn't know SAM can be dialed up and down instead of just being turned on and off.

He also states that the D800 has an upgraded machined aluminium case.  It's not "upgraded" it's the original design D-Premier case.  Oh it's fun to nit pick!  Having said that, I actually thought this was a very good read, in comparison to a lot of online reviews, outstanding.  I also liked the comment that a $1500 mains cable was a no brainier!  I'm sure the cable cynics on here will like that one!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Great review of the D800, of which there aren't many!

I was having a lengthy chat with someone who used to sell Devialet and currently still personally has D-Prems, D400 & D800 in his home setups. In his opinion the D400 is an absolute no brainer, and actually uses it over the D800 in his main setup. He said the diff between D400 & D800 is marginal and really only noticed if you have some large difficult to drive speakers. I'm thinking this review displayed a larger diff between the D400 & D800 because Magico Q7's were used.
i would love to find out first hand if 3 grand worth of mains cable really is a no brainer !!
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
Yes, there were errors in the review, did you see the comment at the end:

"Analog inputs are converted to digital via the internal DAC (Burr-Brown PCM1792)."

This isn't correct.

Analog inputs are converted to digital via the internal ADC (Burr-Brown PCM4202).
(03-Mar-2016, 21:08)Confused Wrote: ….. I also liked the comment that a $1500 mains cable was a no brainier!  I'm sure the cable cynics on here will like that one!

Well, a $1,500 mains cable is definitely a no brainer to me. Probably not in the way he meant though Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(04-Mar-2016, 11:38)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(03-Mar-2016, 21:08)Confused Wrote: ….. I also liked the comment that a $1500 mains cable was a no brainier!  I'm sure the cable cynics on here will like that one!

Well, a $1,500 mains cable is definitely a no brainer to me.  Probably not in the way he meant though Wink

I think there is a trade-in offer in the making. These are usually very good deals, if you have the correct Synergistic product for trade-in.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(04-Mar-2016, 16:49)rwjr44 Wrote:
(04-Mar-2016, 11:38)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Well, a $1,500 mains cable is definitely a no brainer to me.  Probably not in the way he meant though Wink

I think there is a trade-in offer in the making. These are usually very good deals, if you have the correct Synergistic product for trade-in.

What do you think they'd knock off for the stock Devialet cable? Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<