Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
SAM %, what does it mean?
What exactly does the adjustment of the "amount" of SAM correction mean? I ask because I've found that while I did not like SAM for my Magico Q1 (increased amount of bass came at the expense of clarity), I find I like it at the 10% setting. This makes very little difference to the amount of bass, but I find it does still snap vocals into focus and increases soundstage depth.

As I understand it, SAM involves corrections in time and phase alignment of the drivers, as well as digital equalization below 150hz. While I understand how you can adjust the "amount" of bass correction, I'm not sure whether the same can be said for time/phase alignment.

So, if you have SAM set for a low "amount", are we still getting the full advantage of the time/phase alignment? Because perhaps that explains what I'm hearing on my Q1s...
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
Now that's an interesting question! Other than much speculation, I suspect only Devialet will truly know the answer to this. Trouble is, it is very often rather difficult extracting informative answers from Devialet. Perhaps someone should take this one to the Guilford Audio event next month and ask the Devialet representatives directly?
How do you adjust the SAM level?
(09-Sep-2014, 03:26)mauidan Wrote: How do you adjust the SAM level?

Funny, it took me a little experimenting to figure out. You hold down the bottom middle button on the remote until you get the balance and tone control settings, and the last option is SAM percentage. I like it set at 10% on my Magico Q1 speakers.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.