Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting SUB - High/Low Pass Filters not working.
Hello -- what I was getting at was that the filters won't completely cut out everything outside the pass band so you'll still hear output below 100 Hz from the main speakers with the filters enabled. Likewise the sub will still be getting some signal above 100 Hz. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Just been through it step by step.

Still passing full signal to BOTH Speakers & Pre-Out. I'm playing the Tone Burst CD.
(06-Mar-2016, 10:34)thumb5 Wrote: Hello -- what I was getting at was that the filters won't completely cut out everything outside the pass band so you'll still hear output below 100 Hz from the main speakers with the filters enabled.  Likewise the sub will still be getting some signal above 100 Hz.  Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here...

So the High Pass Filter set at 100Hz won't stop my little speakers playing 40Hz? Really?

What is the point of the Filter?

Thanks
The point of the filter!? They're crossover filters with a configurable slope (6/12/18/24dB per octave steepness), not brickwall filters. They're doing exactly what they need to do and what they're there for once you configure them right.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(06-Mar-2016, 12:46)Antoine Wrote: The point of the filter!? They're crossover filters with a configurable slope (6/12/24dB per octave steepness), not brickwall filters. They're doing exactly what they need to do and what they're there for once you configure them right.

Thank Antoine / Ian

I've learned something & now it looks like it was working all along. Given the entry level speakers & SUB I'm playing with, it's sounding very nice. Useful, because I now know that instead of looking for a new big pair of Floorstanders, I'm looking for a pair of quality SUBs & a nice pair of Standmounts.

So now (thanks to you guys) I understand how the Filter Slopes work. Mine are both set on 2nd Order, so 12db/octave roll off. I could just jump to 4th Order for more of the "Brick Wall" cut off I was expecting...., but what is the norm? How do you decide on what's best?

Thanks
Properly and seamlessly integrating a subwoofer into a stereo system is anything but easy and preferably measurements are used to do the job. There's a very steep learning curve so I always advise people to find someone with the right experience who'll help you at your place and brings a measurement kit.

Measurements (for example using the great and free REW software, plus measurement mic or the software that comes with the XTZ mic kit) make it easier to find the best location for the subwoofer in your room, the right filter slopes, crossover frequencies, phase adjustments etc. Doing this all by ear will rarely give you the best results but I'm not saying you should not try of course. Smile

Helping someone through the use of a forum is practically impossible but I can tell you that there are many, many, subwoofer integration in a stereo system guides written and out there on the Internet.

As a starter I can recommend the articles below, but you can google for other integration guides as well of course.

http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm
http://www.soundoctor.com/testcd/index.htm

The absolute basics: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...er-basics/

Lot's of info and links to other info here as well: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43669

Some intro to measurements based integration: http://www.hifizine.com/2011/06/bass-int...de-part-1/
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
If you want to be really sure the configuration is applied correctly you could post your config here (the contents of the dp_cfg.txt file, just edit out your wifi password if it's in there).

I did forget to mention that some browsers cache the config files and so could give you back old ones. If you want to be completely sure you're using your latest config download it with another browser and/or clear your browser cache. Safari is not the best choice for the Devialet configurator so I'd use IE, Chrome or Firefox.

Edit; also you should here a clear difference with a crossover frequency at 100Hz (which is quite high!) when you toggle between 2.1 and 2.0 mode using the remote's bass/tone button. Check if you have configured a button for 'subwoofer'. If you don't hear a difference especially when you have the sub powered down in 2.1 mode your config is not right.

The Netherlands
Thanks very much Antoine!!!

All that information saved & will be referred to in future. I've got microphones & A Db meter. I'll get the software. It's something I want to do. It will be a project I'll enjoy doing.

Even with the little BK XLS200 (which I know is massively underpowered for the job) & my little Ruark Epilogue standing in between speaker changes, I can appreciate what a SUB setup can do. I'm 100% decided it's the way I'm heading. A nice pair of stand mounts for sweet treble & holographic mids + a pair of SUBs for atmosphere & deep grunt.

Thanks again!
This is a good stuff. I'm thinking of adding a sub to my setup, too.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier