Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
D200 Output power settings
How does this actually works? Does it only lowers the volume output or it also reduces the wattage?
I am not sure I understand the concept and maybe my presumption is wrong so question has no sense, but let me try to explain it.

Let's say I reduce the output power to 50W as I want to protect the environment if my kids turn the volume knob all the way.
What happens when the song passage becomes dynamic and requires more power from the amp, will the amp be able to pull it out or it will be cut at 50W?
Lowering the power output setting in effect lowers the maximum output voltage of the PSU.

So "wattage" (P=V*I) translates directly into "volume output". In effect you'll have a less powerful amp that reaches it's limits sooner.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
If I get this right then in effect you end up with a less powerful amp that, if pushed too hard, can blow up your speakers quicker?

I would assume Devialet would set it up so that, if asked for, there's enough current to keep a faithful music signal. Just at a lower volume.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
You'll blow up speakers usually when you either overpower them or feed them a clipped signal (in effect DC). The tweeters usually go first in this case.

There's many microprocessor controlled safeguards built in our Devialets. I'm not 100% sure but I thought and hope there's a clipping filter active in the Devialet to prevent DC ever leaving it's outputs blowing up the speakers.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
You're most likely right. Not keen on trying it out though.  Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
So what's the point of the power output setting. If not using it to protect speakers what's the rationale for this feature?
I believe this feature had been obsoleted with their latest DPM feature.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Both DPM and Power Output are available. Power output is listed as "Max Power" under speakers in the Configurator.
No, I know the Power Output is still there. What I meant was with DPM, you don't need to adjust this wattage any more. However, I was once told that if I lowered mine to 50W to drive my KEF LS50, it will sound better. I tried but I couldn't distinguish any advantage. That was at least 1.5 year ago, so my memory has faded.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I'm sort of confused by this feature too - I'd hoped that due to my relatively sensitive speakers, I could lower the max power, and get more useable scale on the volume control as well as (hopefully) limit the amount of digital reduction that was being used.  This would not only save power, but hopefully give a slightly better SQ, as even if its 40 bits or whatever for the attenuation, in theory using less attenuation should still be better?  But I couldnt tell any difference at any setting other than perhaps a slight change in volume range.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<