Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Audio speakers & SAM
I had a member of another forum post that quite a few of his friends that have Devialet with Wilson speakers prefer SAM off completely.

I assume each model might be different but I can't find any reference here on Devialet Chat of a Wilson owner turning it off and liking it better that way?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(10-Mar-2016, 18:20)Dr Tone Wrote: I had a member of another forum post that quite a few of his friends that have Devialet with Wilson speakers prefer SAM off completely.

I assume each model might be different but I can't find any reference here on Devialet Chat of a Wilson owner turning it off and liking it better that way?

I find either on or off is good! I had the Sophia 3 before. 

I will experiment a bit more with the OdA and let you know. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hello Dr.Tone.

I am experimenting with serveral speakers at the moment and from what I have learned I can not imagine to purchase any speaker which is not SAM listed. If everything else in your chain is already really good, the SAM adjustment provides the extra kick. Not only the bass is deeper and tighter but throughout the whole freqeuence spectrum there is much more information, more emotions!

But the result depends very much on the quality of the source. The better our custom made source gets the more we have a benefit of SAM.

Before I have owned a WA Sasha 1 and the speaker seemed to be simply to big and too much american for my european massively build listening room. I dialed SAM mostly down to only 0-10%.

Nowadays with much less jitter from our source I may have dialed SAM even for the Sasha much higher.

I have a B&W 803 D3 on loan which directly replaced the Sasha. First I adjusted SAM to only 5% again but since we improved the source further more (again less jitter) I have dialed SAM up to 100%. And now the result is really breathtaking. Enormously deep bass, very controlled and with a lot of colour.

If I switch SAM of, the magic is gone immediatelty.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
Hi Dr.Tone,

I find with my Sophia’s if I have Sam at 100% it is too much and is obscuring some treble detail. Currently have them at 30% and that seems the optimum level for me.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(18-Mar-2016, 18:14)egg1dog Wrote: Hi Dr.Tone,

I find with my Sophia’s if I have Sam at 100% it is too much and is obscuring some treble detail. Currently have them at 30% and that seems the optimum level for me.

When I had the demo Sabrina's I had SAM at 50%.  100% was too much unlike my 1028s which were fine at 100% and needed it desperately at low volumes.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(18-Mar-2016, 20:02)Dr Tone Wrote:

When I had the demo Sabrina's I had SAM at 50%.  100% was too much unlike my 1028s which were fine at 100% and needed it desperately at low volumes.

Strange .............. I have turned Sam completely off today and I am astonished at the sound I am now experiencing. More transparency and detail and I still have an amazing tight bass response. Possibly because I am using my Sophia’s in a small room the Sam effect is overwhelming the rest of the frequency range. Can’t explain it but enjoying the clarity and amazing dynamics from these wonderful speakers. I was considering selling my Companion as I was convincing myself I wouldn’t miss it but now it is going nowhere !!
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
(26-Mar-2016, 16:04)egg1dog Wrote:
(18-Mar-2016, 20:02)Dr Tone Wrote:

Strange .............. I have turned Sam completely off today and I am astonished at the sound I am now experiencing. More transparency and detail and I still have an amazing tight bass response. Possibly because I am using my Sophia’s in a small room the Sam effect is overwhelming the rest of the frequency range. Can’t explain it but enjoying the clarity and amazing dynamics from these wonderful speakers. I was considering selling my Companion as I was convincing myself I wouldn’t miss it but now it is going nowhere !!

Did you turn SAM off completely or just down to 0%?

Hi I have used my original sd cards which did not have Sam configured so it is completely off.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Ok, just toggled it off as well.

Center image got fuller and more focused. It was almost like the Devialet is flattening it and spreading it out, weird. No detrimental effect on bass either.

Hmmm, maybe Devialet shouldn't mess with Wilson's magical cross overs.

(26-Mar-2016, 16:47)Dr Tone Wrote: Ok, just toggled it off as well.

Center image got fuller and more focused.  It was almost like the Devialet is flattening it and spreading it out, weird.  No detrimental effect on bass either.

Hmmm, maybe Devialet shouldn't mess with Wilson's magical cross overs.

Hmmm indeed, since I have had my Sophia’s I have always had Sam on and just played around with the %. Today has really opened my eyes I am literally jumping for joy inside.......so much more clarity and dynamics which the Wilson’s are renowned for just goes to show do not be afraid to experiment.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha