Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Audio speakers & SAM
(26-Mar-2016, 17:05)egg1dog Wrote:
(26-Mar-2016, 16:47)Dr Tone Wrote: Ok, just toggled it off as well.

Center image got fuller and more focused.  It was almost like the Devialet is flattening it and spreading it out, weird.  No detrimental effect on bass either.

Hmmm, maybe Devialet shouldn't mess with Wilson's magical cross overs.

Hmmm indeed, since I have had my Sophia’s I have always had Sam on and just played around with the %. Today has really opened my eyes I am literally jumping for joy inside.......so much more clarity and dynamics which the Wilson’s are renowned for just goes to show do not be afraid to experiment.

Wilson's have never been advertised as neutral, they always talk about trying to bring a live performance feeling into the owners home.  The crossovers are designed to time align their drivers to bring that trait across and the Devialet is trying to fix an issue purely on measurements.

My eyes have been opened as well.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

How's the Bass Extension on the Sabrina speakers with SAM Off?

Wilson Audio claims 31Hz, while Devialet claims 34Hz with Sam Off and 18Hz with SAM On.
(26-Mar-2016, 18:43)samurai7595 Wrote: How's the Bass Extension on the Sabrina speakers with SAM Off?

Wilson Audio claims 31Hz, while Devialet claims 34Hz with Sam Off and 18Hz with SAM On.

More than sufficient and better controlled.  I had to turn the % down compared to the Focals anyway, I didn't feel they needed it.

In all honesty, I don't listen to allot of music where I feel I'm missing much down there.  That said now that I don't have SAM on, that opens up adding a subwoofer and crossing it over in the Devialet if I need more low end.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I would leave Sam off until you have run in your speakers and speaker cable. I would then experiment to see which you prefer in the context of your system and room. For me I prefer Sam off but everybody’s system and room is different.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
I now have Sam dialled back in and I am gobsmacked once again, don’t know what’s happened but Sam is now giving me unparalleled dynamics and scary gut wrenching bass. The warm and cosy sound has disappeared from what I was hearing last time I turned it on ? Does Sam need time to adjust to your system ? Will definitely be keeping it on if this continues.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
(06-Apr-2016, 20:13)egg1dog Wrote: I now have Sam dialled back in and I am gobsmacked once again, don’t know what’s happened but Sam is now giving me unparalleled dynamics and scary gut wrenching bass. The warm and cosy sound has disappeared from what I was hearing last time I turned it on ? Does Sam need time to adjust to your system ? Will definitely be keeping it on if this continues.

What %SAM have you dialled up to???
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(06-Apr-2016, 20:13)egg1dog Wrote: Does Sam need time to adjust to your system ?

Not according to anything I've read/seen. 0%SAM does phase correction only, up to 100% bass extension.
Maybe you've gone from a firmware with SAM1 to a version using SAM2?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(06-Apr-2016, 22:05)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(06-Apr-2016, 20:13)egg1dog Wrote: Does Sam need time to adjust to your system ?

Not according to anything I've read/seen. 0%SAM does phase correction only, up to 100% bass extension.
Maybe you've gone from a firmware with SAM1 to a version using SAM2?

Probably a case of SAM working as it should now those nice new Wilsons have broken in a bit.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It's a room mode thing for sure, you get that % up too high and it makes everything fall apart even at lower volumes.

I had SAM at 50% and when I switched SAM off and it was glorious. I assumed the Wilson crossover was too good and blamed SAM, didn't even dawn on me to change the %. Left it off for a week, recently turned it back on just to see if anything changed, but set the SAM to the Devialet default of 35% first. Toggled back and forth and wow, now it's completely the opposite, SAM fattens the centre image up and the detail is still there, moves the soundstage forward and just makes the speakers disappear. Just to confirm I dialed SAM back up to 50% and toggled back and forth and 50% absolutely doesn't work in my room, the center image falls apart the gets all muddied up.

Such a small change in a setting such a big difference.

I have Sam at 30% and it seems just the optimum setting for my Sophia’s. I have moved them out from the back wall by nearly a metre now which is the farthest they have been out. Maybe i had them too close to the back wall originally and dialling in Sam just muddied the waters as the Sophia’s couldn’t breathe ? Either way I am now extremely happy !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha