Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Audio speakers & SAM
(07-Apr-2016, 20:27)egg1dog Wrote: I have Sam at 30% and it seems just the optimum setting for my Sophia’s. I have moved them out from the back wall by nearly a metre now which is the farthest they have been out. Maybe i had them too close to the back wall originally and dialling in Sam just muddied the waters as the Sophia’s couldn’t breathe ? Either way I am now extremely happy !

Have you done the WASP thing to find the ideal distance from the wall behind your speakers for your room?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(07-Apr-2016, 20:48)Dr Tone Wrote:
(07-Apr-2016, 20:27)egg1dog Wrote: I have Sam at 30% and it seems just the optimum setting for my Sophia’s. I have moved them out from the back wall by nearly a metre now which is the farthest they have been out. Maybe i had them too close to the back wall originally and dialling in Sam just muddied the waters as the Sophia’s couldn’t breathe ? Either way I am now extremely happy !

Have you done the WASP thing to find the ideal distance from the wall behind your speakers for your room?

No I tried but I think the zone of silence is much more than a metre from my back wall which would mean the speaker would be slap right in front of the lounge door. They are just under a metre out and sounding amazing easily the best sound i have achieved in my lounge over the past 20 years so happy days !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
I turned off DPM a week or so ago. I feel the speakers are breaking in faster now. Anyway, I've had to back SAM off a little more. I'm down to 25% now.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Dr Tone, could you please explain this WASP thing and speaker positioning? It would actually help me a lot... Mind you, it might be better to open another thread...

Thanks a lot! Cheers!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Just to kill time till DR Tone checks in.

WASP - Wilson Audio Setup Procedures.

Start from Page 9 of this link for details:

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/manuals/m...sha-wp.pdf
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(14-Apr-2016, 03:29)baddog Wrote: Just to kill time till DR Tone checks in.

WASP - Wilson Audio Setup Procedures.

Start from Page 9 of this link for details:

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/manuals/m...sha-wp.pdf

Thanks!

L
I turned SAM off a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it without. The music sounds more natural.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(11-Jun-2016, 15:04)GuillaumeB Wrote: I turned SAM off a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it without. The music sounds more natural.

Guillaume

What % were you running SAM?

(11-Jun-2016, 15:38)Dr Tone Wrote:
(11-Jun-2016, 15:04)GuillaumeB Wrote: I turned SAM off a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it without. The music sounds more natural.

Guillaume

Pretty much 100% but it sounded good, no room problems. This is way better. But I'll probably switch it back on when I play electronic music.  Tongue

It's funny but Paul Miller had this to say about SAM on the O d'A:

“With SAM, of course, the amplifier is programmed to take the loudspeaker to its limits, but never beyond, and yet the performance was just a little freer, more refreshing with SAM removed from the configuration. Bass, you see, is neither in short supply or under-damped with this hugely capable incarnation of ADH in the driving seat.”

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(11-Jun-2016, 16:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(11-Jun-2016, 15:38)Dr Tone Wrote:

Guillaume

Pretty much 100% but it sounded good, no room problems. This is way better. But I'll probably switch it back on when I play electronic music.  Tongue

It's funny but Paul Miller had this to say about SAM on the O d'A:

“With SAM, of course, the amplifier is programmed to take the loudspeaker to its limits, but never beyond, and yet the performance was just a little freer, more refreshing with SAM removed from the configuration. Bass, you see, is neither in short supply or under-damped with this hugely capable incarnation of ADH in the driving seat.”

Guillaume

Same revelation until I realized that the large % value was the real root of the problem for me.  I'm now happy with 20%.

When you turn it back on set a toggle button and try much lower %, <=30