Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for Turntable
It's hard to decide on what turntable to buy...I've been reading reviews for months and I'm confused due to different combiantions turntables can have (carthridge, arm etc.)....
(17-Mar-2016, 22:40)Dimi Pap Wrote: It's hard to decide on what turntable to buy...I've been reading reviews for months and I'm confused due to different combiantions turntables can have (carthridge, arm etc.)....

Fot that reason i would choose a turntable that is flexible and upgradable. Not only on the cartridge side. This is one of the reasons i love the LP12 thought.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
If you are going to get an LP12, get ready for some expensive upgrades. Plus, if you don't keep up with the upgrades, the LP12 will lose it resale value very quickly.

That's why I got rid of mine back in 2007.
(17-Mar-2016, 22:40)Dimi Pap Wrote: It's hard to decide on what turntable to buy...I've been reading reviews for months and I'm confused due to different combiantions turntables can have (carthridge, arm etc.)....

Agreed.  There are so many possible options it could drive you crazy.  However, you have to start somewhere and make some decisions and start narrowing down your options.  For example, you indicated earlier that you could audition Clearaudio and Pro-Ject options.  Even auditioning these two brands will help you.  For example, the Pro-Ject Signature is a fairly classic "high mass" design.  If you really like the Pro-Ject, this tells you that there might be something in the "sonic signature" of high mass turntables that suits you.  If you hate it, (or maybe just have a strong preference for the Clearaudio option) then maybe high mass is not for you.  You could then try a couple of cartridge options on the same TT, again getting some ideas of what you might like.

I must admit that I enjoyed reading above that you are confused, then reading the subsequent posts claiming that a Linn LP12 is the solution for you, then reading that an LP12 would be a really bad idea.  I think if you could start one or two auditions simply based on what is available it will help you more than you might expect.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thank you, I've already auditioned Clearaudio so I'll try Pro-Ject and I'm afraid that's all! I'd lie to thank everyone for your help, I really enjoy reading members' advice. I understand there might be different opinions, so anyone who would like to add some advice is welcome.
(18-Mar-2016, 13:37)Confused Wrote:
then reading the subsequent posts claiming that a Linn LP12 is the solution for you

I said the LP12 was the solution for me.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(19-Mar-2016, 14:19)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(18-Mar-2016, 13:37)Confused Wrote:
then reading the subsequent posts claiming that a Linn LP12 is the solution for you

A fair point KraaijCheck.  I did indeed quote you a little out of context, I think this was because I was simply trying to highlight the very different views given in response to the same query, not least the fact that I was recommending the Pro-Ject Signature range with another poster doing the exact reverse.  (Although the OP has stated that he welcomes the different views)  This is all fair enough, opinions and approaches vary in the hifi world, which is all part of the fun.  Reading back through your post a little more carefully, it is clear that you were simply recommending a turntable that is 'flexible and upgradable'.  Given that the OP has limited options to audition, this would appear to be a very logical approach, and if the final purchase was not quite right is some respect, then an appropriate upgrade or tweak could be used to mitigate.  Makes sense to me!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Mar-2016, 12:18)Confused Wrote:
(19-Mar-2016, 14:19)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(18-Mar-2016, 13:37)Confused Wrote: then reading the subsequent posts claiming that a Linn LP12 is the solution for you

A fair point KraaijCheck.  I did indeed quote you a little out of context, I think this was because I was simply trying to highlight the very different views given in response to the same query, not least the fact that I was recommending the Pro-Ject Signature range with another poster doing the exact reverse.  (Although the OP has stated that he welcomes the different views)  This is all fair enough, opinions and approaches vary in the hifi world, which is all part of the fun.  Reading back through your post a little more carefully, it is clear that you were simply recommending a turntable that is 'flexible and upgradable'.  Given that the OP has limited options to audition, this would appear to be a very logical approach, and if the final purchase was not quite right is some respect, then an appropriate upgrade or tweak could be used to mitigate.  Makes sense to me!

Couldn't agree with you more! ;-) Perfect complement on my earlier post.
(16-Mar-2016, 17:45)kjj11 Wrote:
(16-Mar-2016, 12:49)Dimi Pap Wrote: Does anyone own a Bauer DPS 2? Could you describe its sound, please?

Use it in last 12 month and use it now
Its beautiful - best dynamics and resolution in this price range. I also try many turntables - and Dps 2 is the clear winner
Sound is golographic and very sharp - and have a deep bass, etc.
Its have no traditional vinyl weaknesses )
I recommend it
Use with Dps 2 Lyra cartridge and You have nirvana Smile

I had DPS2 for years and I was really happy with it. First with a modified Rega tonearm and DV 20x cartridge, then Bauer Audio tonearm and DV Te Kaitora Rua.  Timing was great, needle drag had no effect and everything was just the way I wanted it to be. Great vinyl sound.

Nothing would have gotten me to switch until I tried DPS3. Now I have DPS3 with Bauer Audio tonearm and Lyra Kleos SL and couldn't be happier.
I worked in the R&D and design of record players back in the day.
The fact is that they are not very accurate but pretty well all the inaccuracies are euphonic, except speed fluctuation.
Every record player picks up both structure borne and airborne vibration and adds it to the cartridge signal as a bit of extra reverb. Exactly how much depends on the design and support of the TT and where it is in the listening room.
A TT with suspension reduces this vibration pickup, but the TT is most sensitive to vibration in the horizontal plane where most TT manufacturers have mainly only considered the vertical...
A suspended TT will pick up less extra bass than a non-suspended type.
Arm resonances have two effects, one is to add some peaks and troughs to the cartridge output the other is to eventually isolate the cartridge body from vibration coming from the plinth. This isolation starts at approximately the 2x the frequency of the first arm mode.
Cartridges, even the ones with expensive styluses and cantilevers all have very crude magnetic circuits which are non linear. Very good cartridges typically have distortion of 2% in the mid band and often a fair bit more. At high frequencies they are often 10% and more.

I have been playing round with different designs and combinations for 45 years now, and have 4 turntables in use. They all sound different due to different combinations of cartridge distortion, structural resonance and vibration pickup They all sound lovely.
Which combinations of euphonic colouration you prefer will be a personal thing, so auditioning things is the only way to go. My only advice is to only audition items within budget.

IME price is a poor indicator of SQ, more an indicator of what item is in or out of fashion at any given moment. Sadly almost everything to do with "vinyl" has become very expensive, A Garrard 401 cost around £70 new.

Good luck and have fun.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire