Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B&W 803D3
(20-Mar-2016, 22:24)Cylob Wrote: Epicness, Brian!
They look awesome...
Hopefully they sound even more beautiful than they look.

Congrats!

The 803 D3 is on my shortlist for my next speaker, would love to hear your impressions with the Devialet, I currently own the 804 Diamond but don't find it a very good match.
(31-Mar-2016, 18:51)Allman77 Wrote:
They look awesome...

Congrats!

The 803 D3 is on my shortlist for my next speaker, would love to hear your impressions with the Devialet, I currently own the 804 Diamond but don't find it a very good match.

Allman

With the D400, its a match made in heaven (or close) The one thing I do notice, is when I turn the volume up the only thing that happens is, it gets loud, real loud
with no trace of breaking up or distortion Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  
I did find with my 802D the bass was a little boomy, with the 803D3 it is very tight and fast.

I have not tried them with a D200 but it should work real well. Check the post out on AA

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(20-Mar-2016, 19:30)BrianT Wrote: I had a fun Saturday, drove down to Montreal from Ottawa to pick up my new B&W 803D3 speakers
arrived home around 7:00pm got them in the house and unpacked one. left them in the hall all night.

This morning I unpacked of the pallets and rolled them into place. (glad they got rollers on the bottom, as they weight 144lbs ea)

Now the fun time of breaking them in, and finding the best placement for them.

Brian

Many congrats !!  Indeed - I can very well understand the moments you've been thru (as I await my turn for the arrival of my 802d3 + D400 next week). 

BTW - aren't the speakers waaayy too close to each other ? 

my sources in the B&W Fac say [if you can manage to dial-in 1000 hrs, the 803s would be "silk smooth"] ...  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(01-Apr-2016, 01:02)audio_engr Wrote:
(20-Mar-2016, 19:30)BrianT Wrote: I had a fun Saturday, drove down to Montreal from Ottawa to pick up my new B&W 803D3 speakers
arrived home around 7:00pm got them in the house and unpacked one. left them in the hall all night.

This morning I unpacked of the pallets and rolled them into place. (glad they got rollers on the bottom, as they weight 144lbs ea)

Now the fun time of breaking them in, and finding the best placement for them.

Brian

Many congrats !!  Indeed - I can very well understand the moments you've been thru (as I await my turn for the arrival of my 802d3 + D400 next week). 

BTW - aren't the speakers waaayy too close to each other ? 

my sources in the B&W Fac say [if you can manage to dial-in 1000 hrs, the 803s would be "silk smooth"] ...  Smile

Audio

Going for the big boys, 802D3. The 802D3 where not in my budget. You should love the Devialet D400 with them.
Keep us informed on your new toys.

The B&W manual says spacing 1.5 to 3 metres, since that picture was taken, I have done some placing adjustments
now they are 2.25 metres apart and have popped up a lot better.

I'm working on that 1000hrs plus, I am running 12/14 hrs a day at the moment.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(31-Mar-2016, 23:51)BrianT Wrote:
(31-Mar-2016, 18:51)Allman77 Wrote:
They look awesome...

Congrats!

Allman

With the D400, its a match made in heaven (or close) The one thing I do notice, is when I turn the volume up the only thing that happens is, it gets loud, real loud
with no trace of breaking up or distortion Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  
I did find with my 802D the bass was a little boomy, with the 803D3 it is very tight and fast.

I have not tried them with a D200 but it should work real well. Check the post out on AA

Brian
Thx Brian, i've read with great interest your impressions over at AA. Very nice!

I'm still trying to close the deal, extra shipping cost and custom fees (34%  Dodgy ) does not make it any easier...one of the few disadvantages of living overseas.
Just wanted to share a few glitches I had with my B&W 802D3 and my Devialet D900. And how I solved them with the help of some very competent bloggers Wink

I recently acquired a Trinnov Amethyst in order to objectivize and sort out the difficulties I had setting up my B&W 802D3 in a room which is not treated for acoustics and serves as my living room. The room is 6 x 11m and the part which is dedicated to listening to music is 6 x 4.5.

The first measure I made of the acoustic with my Amethyst brought the following picture (see above diagram "Before") :

[img][Image: 983549JalucineFilter.png][/img]

You can see a peak at 30 Hz (+15db, which is huge). This was due to SAM, although it was set to On but to 0 on the dial.
After setting SAM Off, things improved a little bit (see following picture) :

[img][Image: 200540Jalucinepda0Filter.png][/img]

The peak has narrowed to +10db. This was better. The last step I took was to put some textile at the output of the bass conduit (just above the speakers foot). This further helped decrease the bass problem (see last diagram).

[img][Image: 324645Jalucinepda0EricFilter.png][/img]

After those tricks, the peak at 30 Hz narrowed to +6db, which can easily be corrected by the Amethyst.

Of course, this is very much depending on the configuration of the room, the furniture, the carpets, aso. So every case is different. But in case this helps someone Wink .
At the end of the day, it seems that after plugging the bass conduit with textile, I can re-activate SAM without too much damages to the bass curve. The problem was much more a problem of power of the bass of these speakers in the context on my living room than anything else Smile
(04-Apr-2016, 23:46)Allman77 Wrote: Thx Brian, i've read with great interest your impressions over at AA. Very nice!

I'm still trying to close the deal, extra shipping cost and custom fees (34%  Dodgy ) does not make it any easier...one of the few disadvantages of living overseas.

Allman

I hope that you can work the deal out as the 803D3 are a marvellous speaker, 34% extra fees, can you tell me where in South America you live.

(10-Apr-2016, 18:17)SwissBear Wrote: Just wanted to share a few glitches I had with my B&W 802D3 and my Devialet D900.

That is real interesting, a peak of 15 db @ 30 glad you have managed to sort it out.
I'm hoping to pick up a mic, and Dirac software later in the year and see how it can help me.
The bass was one of my problems with my previous 802D, I find the bass to be nearly perfect with the 803D3.
Brian
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Anyone used the 220 Pro with the 802 D3?
The 802 are power hungry. 440 brings a Lot more overall performance
How would you rate the difference between 220 Pro and 440 Pro with the 802 D3?