Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other interesting articles
(Mods - not sure whether this is the best place to start this thread, so please move it if you see fit.)

I found the Archimago's Musings blog through a link on another forum and thought it might be appreciated here too.

Hope you find this interesting and thought-provoking as I did. By the way, the 19 April 2013 post is great for light relief.

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Sep-2014, 21:27)thumb5 Wrote: (Mods - not sure whether this is the best place to start this thread, so please move it if you see fit.)

I found the Archimago's Musings blog through a link on another forum and thought it might be appreciated here too.

Hope you find this interesting and thought-provoking as I did. By the way, the 19 April 2013 post is great for light relief.

Ian

Great fun! Thanks for sharing.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Ian - How much time had you spent reading this before you forund the 19 April 2013 post! Anyway, need to keep that gem away from mr F1eng I think.
Archimago's listening test was covered in WBF (for those that missed this):

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread...post279735

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(11-Sep-2014, 08:27)Confused Wrote: Ian - How much time had you spent reading this before you forund the 19 April 2013 post! Anyway, need to keep that gem away from mr F1eng I think.

I read it at the time and tested myself. Smile
The results are presented on 27th June, which I am sure everybody has read...

And yes, it is pretty well exactly as one would expect if you are reasonably familiar with, and have done a fair bit of, sound recording.

A top quality reel-to-reel tape recorder is capable of around 12-bit record/replay, though a touch of overload has a euphonic sound on tape and is horrid on digital.

LPs are capable of about 11 to 12 bit replay too.

Digital potential max and min frequency and dynamic range are fixed by the maths.
Tape varies a bit from tape to tape and from machine to machine.
Record players vary a l-o-t.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Frank - it was the 19 April 2013 blog I was worried about you getting your hands on......
(11-Sep-2014, 08:27)Confused Wrote: Ian - How much time had you spent reading this before you forund the 19 April 2013 post! Anyway, need to keep that gem away from mr F1eng I think.

All I can say really is: far too much! Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-Sep-2014, 20:16)Confused Wrote: Frank - it was the 19 April 2013 blog I was worried about you getting your hands on......

Ah, I hadn't seen that one.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/search?u...date=false

An easy link