Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet working on new AIR
I see a future with Roon and Air....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Been following this chat for a queit a long time and getting disappointed by Devialet more and more...I ve been waiting for such a one box solution for long time and after they came out with 250 my first tought was -i've got to go to a dealer and give a listen to this.....it took me a while to make it happen and at the time it did i had a chance to listen to E120. I was hugely impressed by sound,flexibility,size everything sounded great until famous "white noise" give me a slap right at the dealer...
Only then i started thinking ...maybe D will come up with a fix...
Reading forums and DChat I'm starting to change my mind about going D way....It does not make any sense to get a "one box solution" that was so colorfully advertised all over Audiophile media just to proof that it is only on a paper...whats the point to buy it and after find out that you need to buy another box....it is a huge nonsense ! Why advertise the product that ....does not work as advertised ? No appropriate customer support either...
I guess i will stick with my "old" Linn and Mr. Pass.......
You guys should sue Deviate for false advertising....Those are my thoughts....
(25-Mar-2016, 12:02)EloFan Wrote: Been following this chat for a queit a long time and getting disappointed by Devialet more and more...I ve been waiting for such a one box solution for long time and after they came out with 250 my first tought was -i've got to go to a dealer and give a listen to this.....it took me a while to make it happen and at the time it did i had a chance to listen to E120. I was hugely impressed by sound,flexibility,size everything sounded great until famous "white noise" give me a slap right at the dealer...
Only then i started thinking ...maybe D will come up with a fix...
Reading forums and DChat I'm starting to change my mind about going D way....It does not make any sense to get a "one box solution" that was so colorfully advertised all over Audiophile media just to proof that it is only on a paper...whats the point to buy it and after find out that you need to buy another box....it is a huge nonsense ! Why advertise the product that ....does not work as advertised ? No appropriate customer support either...
I guess i will stick with my "old" Linn and Mr. Pass.......
You guys should sue Deviate for false advertising....Those are my thoughts....
Hi, EloFan,

And welcome to DChat!  Forget about the problems with Air, as someone else here said, there are plenty of other ways to get good sound into the D. I run my NAS straight into my D400 via USB, so my solution hasn't cost me the price of another streamer box, thank feck. Just go out and buy one, you know you want to!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
If AIR never existed, I still would have bought my Devialet 200.  It does sound that good.   And there are numerous other solutions for streaming (yes, another box) and more on the way that can be had for a fraction of the price of a Devialet.   

Where Devialet is shooting themselves in the foot is by not acknowledging and addressing a problem they've known about for a long time.   Fix it, replace it, or call it a legacy product.  But by continuing to market it as a feature while seemingly ignoring the growing number of support problems and disgruntled customers is just bad business.  

AIR was not a factor in my purchase of my 200.  My #1 factor was sound quality.   But a close #2 was that this was not a point-in-time product.  I bought it because they would continue to evolve it through firmware improvements as technology advanced at no additional cost to me.   But their handling of AIR is a red flag and I can understand why potential buyers reading these threads may have cause for pause. That's unfortunate because it is a great product.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(25-Mar-2016, 17:47)mdconnelly Wrote: If AIR never existed, I still would have bought my Devialet 200.  It does sound that good.   And there are numerous other solutions for streaming (yes, another box) that and more on the way that can be had for a fraction of the price of a Devialet.   

Where Devialet is shooting themselves in the foot is by not acknowledging and addressing a problem they've known about for a long time.   Fix it, replace it, or call it a legacy product.  But by continuing to market it as a feature while seemingly ignoring the growing number of support problems and disgruntled customers is just bad business.  

AIR was not a factor in my purchase of my 200.  My #1 factor was sound quality.   But a close #2 was that this was not a point-in-time product.  I bought it because they would continue to evolve it through firmware improvements as technology advanced at no additional cost to me.   But their handling of AIR is a red flag and I can understand why potential buyers reading these threads may have cause for pause.  That's unfortunate because it is a great product.

My experience too.
In fact when I bought my D-Premier 5 years ago Air did not exist, nor was there any wireless electronics in the equipment. By the time Air became available and they were supplying free issue wireless modules to customers I had bought a second D-Premier configured as dual mono. I fitted the wireless modules when they came and loaded Air. I had to fiddle about to get a reasonable wireless signal, presumably because the window in front didn't point towards the wifi transmitter.
Anyway with a bit of tuning I got Air v1, which was Mac only and used iTunes as the front end, working fine.
Then there was the "universal" V2 of Air, which caused far more problems for me but I eventually got to work OK. I use it with both my laptop and a dedicated to music iMac with few problems.
OTOH I still prefer CDs and LPs to any sort of streaming and am prepared to put up with the clutter.

Cluttered rooms sound better anyway, I have always found this and was pleased to see Floyd Toole and Siegfried Linkwitz say this too.
Mine may be a bit too cluttered though...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

@f1eng, small correction as I've seen you write it before, AIR v1 was not Mac only. I've always run it on Windows and have also installed the WiFi module into my D-Premier myself. It was iTunes only, perhaps the confusion comes from that.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(25-Mar-2016, 20:03)Antoine Wrote: @f1eng, small correction as I've seen you write it before, AIR v1 was not Mac only. I've always run it on Windows and have also installed the WiFi module into my D-Premier myself. It was iTunes only, perhaps the confusion comes from that.

Is that so! I was completely sure V1 was Mac only and the sole reason to do V2 was so many Windows owners being miffed. I guess it was those who don't want to use iTunes who were miffed...
Thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

V2 is a completely different programme and does not work as well as V1 IMHO.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I concur that AIR V1 worked for me with my D-Premier and my Macbook via WiFi (even in the ADHOC mode without any extra router). I also thought the very first version was Mac only and limited to 16/44. But then it got "improved" and and I had to give up on AIR. I suspect that the AIR card (from first version to recent ones) are just functioning not reliable or only marginally for any higher bit-rate. I guess their additional firmware "fixes" messed up things further. So I expect just any new AIR software will not change things with the existing Wifi boards.
I guess Devialet does not want to admit that the AIR card is defective and therefore they should reimburse all owners of experts for that part. I guess the best hope for a fix is that Devialet brings out an external WiFi streamer (like a Dialog specific for the expert line) with has to be connected via cable to the amp (which one USB, Ethernet Spdif etc?) so completely eliminating its WiFi board. If we are lucky we can use a software not made by Devialet- maybe Roon?
The initial Windows version was only released 10 days later than the Mac version. Both were released in December 2011 right after the release of firmware 5.5.

True, the first versions of AIR were up to 16/44.1, with version 1.5 24/96 became possible. In version 2.0 Devialet switched to the virtual soundcard functionality and with it 24/192 became possible.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I'd be interested to know when they switched to the virtual sound card version?  It seems like it must be a couple of years ago (or more?) and so it means in all that time they've never had an AIR that worked reliably for everyone on all supported OS's in an average home network environment. Shocking really.
Did the original iTunes version work for everyone or were there still cases of crackling noise and white noise back then?

I get the part about moving on, I have (physically, not mentally!), especially as there are good affordable solutions out there now. But we shouldn't have been forced down that route - so I don't think it's necessary, acceptable or appropriate to just forgive and forget. Devialet have massively f'd up here and they need to resolve it one way or another and quickly. A bit of an attitude change and an apology wouldn't go amiss either.

EloFan - My guess is it isn't the streaming hardware card, because it works for some people.  Unless the hardware is so finicky that there are very few environments it will work in without patching I guess. In which case a software fix is unlikely, and also they'd probably not want any other software vendors anywhere near it as it would be obvious that it was a hardware fault. Who knows, it sounds like Devialet don't even know, but at this stage all we can assume is that if they haven't worked it out after all this time, it's not going to happen and hanging a Dialog on the wall next to your beutiful Expert is probably the most likely solution to be offered up.  Since this is essentially just abandoning AiR and plugging a USB 'endpoint' in, it's not a fix, and there are undoubtedly better solutions already out there that take that approach. And it's not like there are zero complaints about Dialog in the Phantom sections here.... Wink

It's great having a system that can evolve over time with firmware and software upgrades, but it's kind of redundant if the people behind it don't have the skills or desire to keep it current.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<