Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Distribution for Devialet
I had my electrician install a dedicated consumer unit (MK) connected directly to the Henley block (junction box that splits tails from the meter). This feeds 8 circuits, of which 3 are NEMA Furutech GTX-D sockets and the others are unswitched bog standard MK double sockets.

Cable used is 6mm T&E.

Before doing this I did a huge amount of research and spoke to lots of different people, dealers, distributors etc. I did consider expensive shielded cable at one point and came close to ordering it but in the end was talked out of it by someone with lots of experience... I don't remember all the details now but in the end going for T&E did lower the overall budget by a fair chunk.

Getting my electrician to sign everything off was fun. In the end I had to compromise with 10A circuits with RCBO (type B) for the US sockets since US power cords are unfused. The other 5 circuits are rated to 20A and have regular RCD breakers..

What I had never realised until I got into all this was that the fuse in a power cable is there to protect the cable and not the appliance and is based on the premise that power cords will often be connected to a ring mains with 32A or higher current capability.

My Devialets are connected to separate circuits.

One of the biggest and best bang for buck upgrades one can do.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I have a dedicated consumer unit (Memera 2000) connected to a henley block.
This feeds two radials, the cable is 6mm SWA.
One cable terminates with a single Schuko socket for the Triton / Typhon.
The second cable terminates with three Schuko sockets, one for each Devialet and one for the second Typhon.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
Have you tried to plug-in your Devialets and then swap [ Phase & Neutral ] and then - hear the amps ??

Its easy to carryout this "check" using Schuko terminated powercords on the Devialets ...  by just turning them around ...

You'll be mighty surprised to notice the complete collapse OR the Fully developed soundstage one gets just be getting the phase + neutral correct ...

note :  Your home wiring may be correct but sometimes the power utility messes things up regarding the Phase + Neutral ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(04-Oct-2016, 09:32)audio_engr Wrote: Have you tried to plug-in your Devialets and then swap [ Phase & Neutral ] and then - hear the amps ??

Its easy to carryout this "check" using Schuko terminated powercords on the Devialets ...  by just turning them around ...

You'll be mighty surprised to notice the complete collapse OR the Fully developed soundstage one gets just be getting the phase + neutral correct ...

note :  Your home wiring may be correct but sometimes the power utility messes things up regarding the Phase + Neutral  ...
This is a very well known tweak in german audiophile circles probably because the schuko plug is the only one which you can switch around. I checked the correct polarity for all my components and, if necessary, changed the polarity be reversing the cables at
the iec inlet. Well worth the effort.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
(04-Oct-2016, 09:32)audio_engr Wrote: Have you tried to plug-in your Devialets and then swap [ Phase & Neutral ] and then - hear the amps ??

note :  Your home wiring may be correct but sometimes the power utility messes things up regarding the Phase + Neutral  ...
This is a very well known tweak in german audiophile circles probably because the schuko plug is the only one which you can switch around. I checked the correct polarity for all my components and, if necessary, changed the polarity be reversing the cables at
the iec inlet. Well worth the effort.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
(04-Oct-2016, 09:32)I audio_engr Wrote: Have you tried to plug-in your Devialets and then swap [ Phase & Neutral ] and then - hear the amps ??

I haven't tried this, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go, although "just" persuading the Shunyata PCs to turn through 180 deg. may not be so easy.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
(05-Oct-2016, 06:01)Tremayne Wrote:
(04-Oct-2016, 09:32)I audio_engr Wrote: Have you tried to plug-in your Devialets and then swap [ Phase & Neutral ] and then - hear the amps ??

I haven't tried this, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go, although "just" persuading the Shunyata PCs to turn through 180 deg. may not be so easy.

Colin, get a cheap stock pc, cut/saw off the earth connector and then check in which position of neutral and phase amps
sound the best. If its different from from your Shunyata pc you got two options. Switch the cables around inside the dev if that is possible or, alternatively, at the socket inside your power conditioner. Do that for all components.
OK - I have to admit Gui has got me interested in this phase stuff (see link)

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3648&page=5

However, if a plug is 'neutral' on one pin, and 'live' on another (or phase / AV or whatever), surely there is a simple way to check this? From an electrical point of view it is quite important, otherwise your domestic switches might be switching the neutral, rather than the live wire, which might be problematic when changing a light bulb. Can't this be tested with a multi-meter? To be honest, a collapse in sound stage is bad, but one of your loved ones being electrocuted when changing a light bulb is worse!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Nov-2016, 18:09)Confused Wrote: OK - I have to admit Gui has got me interested in this phase stuff (see link)

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3648&page=5

However, if a plug is 'neutral' on one pin, and 'live' on another (or phase / AV or whatever), surely there is a simple way to check this?  From an electrical point of view it is quite important, otherwise your domestic switches might be switching the neutral, rather than the live wire, which might be problematic when changing a light bulb.  Can't this be tested with a multi-meter?   To be honest, a collapse in sound stage is bad, but one of your loved ones being electrocuted when changing a light bulb is worse!

We have these little screwdrivers in hardware stores. We call it 'Phase tester'. They have a lightbulb in it that lights up when touching a live-wire. It's for 1or2€

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
I lent a phase checker device years ago from someone and marked the side of the schuko of all the devices in my home which should connect to the phase. I believe it measured leakage currents or voltage potential differences or something like that. Can't remember the brand.

To determine behind which hole the phase is in the AC outlet one uses indeed a simple phase tester screwdriver from the hardware store.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands