Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another looking to change/upgrade - suggestions?
You might be interested in the Referemce range of Audio Physics. Starting with Virgo is may be a bit expensive, but they do a marvelous vanishing trick and do very well with a Devialet 200. A D400 must do even better.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(23-Mar-2016, 12:40)teddlesdee Wrote: I'm moving soon - the 'seat-cover' and the old goat (me), want to move closer to the off-spring as we shuffle into our twilight years!

The house we are looking at is a new-build, and I have been potentially allocated (by the boss) the dining room for my 'play-room' and office... not very big, but hopefully just enough.. being approx 12 x 9ft

Currently my system is in the kitchen of all places, but it is about 19 x 14 so quite a lot larger, and the Triangle Deltas are pretty good at filling the room with sound, especially when we get the grand-kids visiting demanding a disco afternoon... Overall, these speaker are on the exciting side and very versatile. On my own I like to listen to a wide range of music such as electronica, stuff like Himalayan/ asian traditional world music, trad jazz, spine tingling beautiful Haley Westernra (discovered from a track on Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres).

But... now I am moving, I am thinking I have gone so far with upgrades to the music server setup, so I feel the speakers could be improved on. Clarity, accuracy and wide sound stage are important to me, with a good bass reach for those tracks that need it, like toccata & fugue in D minor which is my all-time fav organ music.

Since I have come back to proper Hi-fi recently after 20 years, and maybe because I am a lot older, I couldn't believe how much I am 'moved' emotionally by some tracks that I have played for years on lesser systems that produced no real engagement.
It is obvious to me now that with a good system and good recordings you hear detail that transforms the experience from being mundane to spine-tingling, and I am convinced that with even better speakers, I would be able to experience & discover even more...

I blame my youngest Son (now 45) for his recent Man-cave idea, where he has (in a similar size room) a high quality ceiling projector & full-width pull-down screen, surround sound (front hif-fi speakers) rears/side/ and ceiling surround speakers built-in, a true entertainment room!

Whether I will go that far I don't know, but  first for me is the speaker short-list - Budget-wise around £4-10k max.

They need to be comfortable in a room of the size I mentioned.

German-physics, and Raidho come to mind, but looking for additional alternatives?

Suggestions, gratefully received!

Thanks
Gallo Ref 3.5 are in my system for 8 years now. Actually mine are the Ref. 3. I currently have them in a 12' by 16' room. I have had the in smaller rooms with no issues. I was introduced to the Devialet  with Wilson and Magico speakers. Personally I could never afford them and to tell you the truth, at least from my perspective, the Gallos have nothing to be ashamed of. If you can get passed the low sticker price: take them for a test drive with a Devialet.  You'll be surprised. A friend of mine who owns a pair of Aventgarde duo comes over for a listen has a hard time tearing himself away from them. The real magic started when I paired them with the 250s.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
(27-May-2016, 05:06)woodstock Wrote:
(23-Mar-2016, 12:40)teddlesdee Wrote: I'm moving soon - the 'seat-cover' and the old goat (me), want to move closer to the off-spring as we shuffle into our twilight years!

The house we are looking at is a new-build, and I have been potentially allocated (by the boss) the dining room for my 'play-room' and office... not very big, but hopefully just enough.. being approx 12 x 9ft

Currently my system is in the kitchen of all places, but it is about 19 x 14 so quite a lot larger, and the Triangle Deltas are pretty good at filling the room with sound, especially when we get the grand-kids visiting demanding a disco afternoon... Overall, these speaker are on the exciting side and very versatile. On my own I like to listen to a wide range of music such as electronica, stuff like Himalayan/ asian traditional world music, trad jazz, spine tingling beautiful Haley Westernra (discovered from a track on Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres).

But... now I am moving, I am thinking I have gone so far with upgrades to the music server setup, so I feel the speakers could be improved on. Clarity, accuracy and wide sound stage are important to me, with a good bass reach for those tracks that need it, like toccata & fugue in D minor which is my all-time fav organ music.

Since I have come back to proper Hi-fi recently after 20 years, and maybe because I am a lot older, I couldn't believe how much I am 'moved' emotionally by some tracks that I have played for years on lesser systems that produced no real engagement.
It is obvious to me now that with a good system and good recordings you hear detail that transforms the experience from being mundane to spine-tingling, and I am convinced that with even better speakers, I would be able to experience & discover even more...

I blame my youngest Son (now 45) for his recent Man-cave idea, where he has (in a similar size room) a high quality ceiling projector & full-width pull-down screen, surround sound (front hif-fi speakers) rears/side/ and ceiling surround speakers built-in, a true entertainment room!

Whether I will go that far I don't know, but  first for me is the speaker short-list - Budget-wise around £4-10k max.

German-physics, and Raidho come to mind, but looking for additional alternatives?

Thanks
Gallo Ref 3.5 are in my system for 8 years now. Actually mine are the Ref. 3. I currently have them in a 12' by 16' room. I have had the in smaller rooms with no issues. I was introduced to the Devialet  with Wilson and Magico speakers. Personally I could never afford them and to tell you the truth, at least from my perspective, the Gallos have nothing to be ashamed of. If you can get passed the low sticker price: take them for a test drive with a Devialet.  You'll be surprised. A friend of mine who owns a pair of Aventgarde duo comes over for a listen has a hard time tearing himself away from them. The real magic started when I paired them with the 250s.

Hi Woodstock,

Intriguing! Never thought of these!

My house move has been delayed somewhat - a hugely stressful time! So things are on ice Hi-Fi wise! Moving closer to Witney - well, between Witney and Swindon to be precise (Closer to our Kids). I will be interested in hearing another 'sound-track' early July ... namely the 'Air-Tattoo' - Yep! and I should be able to have a ring-side seat in my back garden! - Thinking of lots of deckchairs, a bar in the garden and tea & cucumber sandwiches for those that are tea-total! Big Grin

Back to the Gallos - I looked on-line and surprisingly there appears not to be many dealers around that stock these! Indeed even Oxf Audio only seem to list the smaller stuff from them...and then... discovered Gallo are discontinuing the bigger hifi speaker set ups including the 3.5s - How SAD! Huh
What's happened... are they not that good? Love the styling....

UPDATE - Spoke to Gallo - They said 3.5s had been discontinued for 2 years now - problems with QA and increasing expense in manufacture - no replacements on the imminent horizon for Hi-Fi Speakers!

Ahh.. well!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.

Thanks

Hi, I have been in a similar situation, and didn't want racks etc, ( hence the Devialet) and speakers that would look superb - not wooden boxes - and sounded wonderful. I think I have found them ( and bought them). Just at the top end of your budget. Albedo Aptica - simply the prettiest speakers I have seen until you get into silly money territory. Italian design and "Ferrari" quality finish. And they are beautiful to listen to. Accuton ceramic drive units, sophisticated transmission line for bass and highly tuned treble. Very wide soundstage, sweet treble, not overwhelming bass (important in a smallish room) but very easy to follow a bass line. I am absolutely delighted with the looks and the sound. Only available through selected dealers. PM me if interested. Shame I'm in Lincoln as you would be welcome to listen to them.