Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trigger cable lowers temperatures & power consumption
(27-Mar-2016, 15:53)octaviars Wrote:
(27-Mar-2016, 15:51)brit Wrote:
(27-Mar-2016, 15:47)octaviars Wrote: Do you use any of the inputs on the slave?

Yes I do, I run my Tuner  into the Companion with no problems at all.

David

Ok, but you run RCA to RCA between the master and the slave.

Yes that is correct.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(27-Mar-2016, 16:24)brit Wrote:
(27-Mar-2016, 15:53)octaviars Wrote:
(27-Mar-2016, 15:51)brit Wrote: Yes I do, I run my Tuner  into the Companion with no problems at all.

David

Ok, but you run RCA to RCA between the master and the slave.

Yes that is correct.

David

Ok.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Just connect my Devialet 400 via 3,5 mm trigger link - after re-configuration works fine
Sound quality improves very very little - maybe adding little more bass power
Thanks!
I still don't see how this can influence heat or soundquality, anybody measured any temperature differences ?
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies
Decreased power consumption should reduce heat, and it does.

As I said, I measure both temperature and power consumption decreasing. My D400 uses 10W less "off" and 11W less in standby when triggered. The correlation to temperature decrease varies with room temperature and load but is always at least a few degrees.

Whether that makes an audible difference is up to your ears, but it is very simple to try for yourself.

If you're more interested in theory consider that the difference between a D400 and D800 is the better thermal management of the better case so according to Devialet temperature is so important that they can double power output using the same circuit board when they can manage heat better. Connecting a trigger cable manages heat better, not to the extent of a bigger case but also far more cheaply. I'm not saying that connecting the trigger cable turns a D400 into a D800 or anything like that, but given that all you need to do is connect a free cable and configure an input I think that saving 33% of wasted power consumption and improving thermal management is an impressive benefit for a free tweak.
Hi,

A question to those who have set this up. Given you are now using an input on the companion (in my case it would be the AES/EBU input), did you change the direction of the RCA/RCA digital cable between both units, given most cables are directional? And if so, how does this affect any inputs still in use on the master?
Oracle Delphi MkVI Reference Second Generation - SME Series V - Lyra Delos 
   Expert 1000 Pro CI - Magico A3
Audioquest Niagara 3000
Nucleus+ - roon lifetime - Qobuz Sublime+
 x2 Matte Black Phantom I
I connected the trigger cable without using the input on the companion. However, I don't see the units running at lower temperature. Before and after trigger cable the temperature reading had been very consistent:

Class A 42-44 deg
Class D 42-44 deg
Supply 45-47 deg

I am currently running in the Od'A and I took the reading in the morning after playing them for 10 hours overnight at -40 dB.

Back to the RCA/RCA chaining cable, it is the single most important cable in the mono set up as it single handedly affects the sound of the left right speaker. Anyone know what is the internal cable Devialet uses inside the Od'A?
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(30-Mar-2016, 16:01)tategoi Wrote: I connected the trigger cable without using the input on the companion. ...

To have any effect the trigger cable must be connected and an input on the companion must be enabled in the Configurator.
(30-Mar-2016, 16:21)deviousalet Wrote:
(30-Mar-2016, 16:01)tategoi Wrote: I connected the trigger cable without using the input on the companion. ...

To have any effect the trigger cable must be connected and an input on the companion must be enabled in the Configurator.

Digital input is enabled but not used.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Thanks for the correction and information. It is interesting that the O'dA doesn't change temperature when triggered. Can you measure if there's any difference in power consumption when "off" or in standby? I wonder if they fixed the wasted power problem or improved the communication between O'dA vs. the older units like my D400.