Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trigger cable lowers temperatures & power consumption
Being new to Devialet, I still can't figure how to turn off the Devialet and how to switch it to standby.

What I normally do is to long press the power button on the remote and the displays of both the Master and Companion go blank. I supposed this is "off"?

And how do I get to standby? And how do I measure the power consumption?
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Congrats on your Od'A by the way: heck of a nice place to jump into the Devialet line.

I measure the power consumption with a power meter (Kill-A-Watt in my case but there are many available cheaply or free from a library).

A short press of the remote power button puts the units into standby (screens dim) while a long press turns them off (screens off). The "off" mode still consumes power though, so I then switch off a power strip. The Devialet can also be configured to enter standby after a period of time (this is the default I believe).
Thank you. I am not sure if I will be a Devialet owner now should there be no Od'A. And I am sorry I don't have a power meter to measure power consumption.
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
I just tried this and my Companion unit is now running 2-3 degrees cooler than the master right across the board... interesting. I should also mention i have 9.0.2 firmware
In my region night time temperature is in the high 20 dec C. With my air-conditioning on with temperature set at low 20s, I get mid low to mid 40s of the A/D/PS temperature. But with my air-conditioning turned off the temperature shot up by close to 10 deg. This is without the trigger cable.
(12-Apr-2016, 04:58)tategoi Wrote: In my region night time temperature is in the high 20 dec C. With my air-conditioning on with temperature set at low 20s, I get mid low to mid 40s of the A/D/PS temperature. But with my air-conditioning turned off the temperature shot up by close to 10 deg. This is without the trigger cable.

Try using a air purifier in your room and see if the air recycling process will cool your Devialet down.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

OK, so I have my new RCA/XLR cable to hooked up the companion and have set my configuration for pre-outs (both RCAs left of the XLR input on the Companion (they don't work as intended but I'll sort that out in time...).

DPM is "on" in the general settings - not sure how that may factor in...

Also have the trigger cable set and it works - can turn on/off both units at the same time via remote.

Having not used the system for well over a week prior to firing it up my 200 was stone cold but the Companion's top was quite warm to the touch. It was not in standby (dimmed display) - it was off for sure.
Is this normal given I've tried to replicate the signal chain and trigger set up throughout this thread?

Operating temps after an hour running 4ohm speakers not hard at -18dB are:

200 - A=39, D=34, S=40
Comp - A=44, D=43, S= 48

I was hoping that my current hook up configuration would bring about cooler temps on the Companion.

BTW - other than being able to use the two RCA inputs located left of the XLR on the Companion ( as preouts mentioned above that don't work) I cannot access any other inputs (USB/Ethernet, Optical #1, Line 1/2) on the Companion - they all show as off/dark/unavailable. I believe I've read that others have access to more than just the 2 I am acquiring access to - what am I doing wrong?

TIA
Ron
Oppo 95 >> HDMI >> Kanex De-embedder >> Digital Coax >> Dev 400 >> Bryston Middle T
(17-May-2016, 21:06)Ron D Wrote: OK, so I have my new RCA/XLR cable to hooked up the companion and have set my configuration for pre-outs (both RCAs left of the XLR input on the Companion (they don't work as intended but I'll sort that out in time...).

DPM is "on" in the general settings - not sure how that may factor in...

Also have the trigger cable set and it works - can turn on/off both units at the same time via remote.

Having not used the system for well over a week prior to firing it up my 200 was stone cold but the Companion's top was quite warm to the touch. It was not in standby (dimmed display) - it was off for sure.
Is this normal given I've tried to replicate the signal chain and trigger set up throughout this thread?

Operating temps after an hour running 4ohm speakers not hard at -18dB are:

200 - A=39, D=34, S=40
Comp - A=44, D=43, S= 48

I was hoping that my current hook up configuration would bring about cooler temps on the Companion.

BTW - other than being able to use the two RCA inputs located left of the XLR on the Companion ( as preouts mentioned above that don't work) I cannot access any other inputs (USB/Ethernet, Optical #1, Line 1/2)  on the Companion - they all show as off/dark/unavailable. I believe I've read that others have access to more than just the 2 I am acquiring access to - what am I doing wrong?

TIA
Ron

Hi Ron 

I think the issue may be related to the connection between the master and companion - for the trigger cable to work and the inputs on the companion to be active you have to select "changing inputs" and "share sources from companion" when you are in the advanced configurator - then you can click on the inputs you want active on the companion - you will notice though, the only link allowed if you want to use the companion inputs is the RCA to RCA one - I don't believe you can use the RCA  to XLR able IF you want to use companion inputs

If you want to use the RCA to XLR cable to connect the units, you won't be able to use any companion inputs (with the exception of a sub) and the companion usually runs a couple of degrees hotter - there is no need for the trigger cable in this case - the RCA to XLR cable takes care of all the communication 

Hope that helps!
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
The above answer is correct! If you use the RCA/XLR cable to link the two Devialets you cannot use either the trigger cable nor share (Use) the companion inputs.

If you wish to use the trigger cable and use inputs on the companion you will need to connect the two units via the standard connection cable provided with the companion .
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Thanks folks - really appreciate the input/answers.

I'll leave the rca/xlr in place for the distant future I have no need to access the extra inputs on the Companion. I was just trying to discern all available options to reduce the operating temperature of the Companion.

I may however decide to pull the plug from the wall to negate the warmer than expected "when completely off" internal temperature of the Companion. Its a little disconcerting that its that warm despite being turned off.
Oppo 95 >> HDMI >> Kanex De-embedder >> Digital Coax >> Dev 400 >> Bryston Middle T