Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any B&W 802 D3 users ?
Setting and adjusting B&W 802D3 in a large room (10.7 x 5.9 m) was not such an easy task for me.
I found out that the powerful bass-reflex was exciting modes in the room. I was suffering from sub-frequencies which were polluting the bass response in certain circumstances (see waterfall here-under and especially the bass on the left).

[img][Image: 819572Waterfallwithoutcorrection.jpg][/img]

I was 'obliged' to use an active correction and, after trying Trinnov and Dirac, I finally set up with Acourate (http://www.audiovero.de/en/acourate.php) to solve these problems. Here is the adjusted waterfall:

[img][Image: 400281WaterfallwithAcourate.jpg][/img]

An additional benefit of Acourate was the huge improvement of the time alignment of the drivers. B&W 802 D3 is not a perfectly time aligned speaker (this was confirmed by Stereophile measurements). And the improvement of the step response (see here under) considerably improved the sound image by ensuring that all frequencies were reaching the ears at the same time.

[img][Image: 355464Stepcomparison.jpg][/img]
(04-Oct-2016, 20:52)Xander Wrote: Why using Jumpers?

Use some decent cable and have it bi-wired

Jumpers ?? 

pls see my signature
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(04-Oct-2016, 21:28)SwissBear Wrote: Setting and adjusting B&W 802D3 in a large room (10.7 x 5.9 m) was not such an easy task for me.
I found out that the powerful bass-reflex was exciting modes in the room. I was suffering from sub-frequencies which were polluting the bass response in certain circumstances (see waterfall here-under and especially the bass on the left).

[img][Image: 819572Waterfallwithoutcorrection.jpg][/img]

I was 'obliged' to use an active correction and, after trying Trinnov and Dirac, I finally set up with Acourate (http://www.audiovero.de/en/acourate.php) to solve these problems. Here is the adjusted waterfall:

[img][Image: 400281WaterfallwithAcourate.jpg][/img]

An additional benefit of Acourate was the huge improvement of the time alignment of the drivers. B&W 802 D3 is not a perfectly time aligned speaker (this was confirmed by Stereophile measurements). And the improvement of the step response (see here under) considerably improved the sound image by ensuring that all frequencies were reaching the ears at the same time.

[img][Image: 355464Stepcomparison.jpg][/img]

Very interesting post ...  Smile

Could you please share your system as a whole ?  (didn't see your signature)
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(04-Oct-2016, 22:14)audio_engr Wrote: Very interesting post ...  Smile

Could you please share your system as a whole ?  (didn't see your signature)

Thank you Smile

System is MacMini (JRiver) -> Sonore µ-rendu -> Mutec MC-3+USB -> D900 -> B&W 802 D3
Swissbear - what made you go Accourate over Dirac out of interest?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(05-Oct-2016, 09:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Swissbear - what made you go Accourate over Dirac out of interest?

Hi Hifi_swlon,

There were multiple reasons:
  • Acourate has a level of target curve adjustment which was more appropriate to what I was trying to do. Part of my quest was to keep a reasonable level of bass until say 30Hz, and cut from 25Hz with a tight slope to avoid resonance at 17Hz, which is unfrequent, but very unpleasant. So Acourate simply produced more pleasant correction in my main system.
  • I like the interface of Acourate and the control it gives you on operations. I felt Dirac was a little bit too much 'don't ask questions as you will not understand the answers' type of package.
  • I am also using RePhase which is even more technical for some applications
  • Another reason was the hassle free license of Acourate. You just buy the product and you can use the correction impulses on all your systems, without being preoccupied by the fact that you need a Dirac compatible rendering device. One of the difficulties I faced was the incompatibility of Dirac with Audirvana I was using at that time. Dirac gave me access to their Audio Unit extensions for a limited time, and was willing to force me buy a full license to continue using them. But the same would apply now that I have a µ-rendu. I sometimes use the µ-rendu with HQPlayer, which is very convenient with impulse convolution. Same for JRiver.
So all in all, Acourate is a little bit more technical, but give a lot more freedom. That's what I like Smile
(01-Oct-2016, 16:17)Martins Hi-Fi Wrote: Will continue with 440 Pro for now and see how they pair up. 800D3 is remarkably easy to drive but not so easy to flatter!

Will add update when time allows.

An update regarding the 440 PRO on 800 D3 - and 802 D3 vs 800 D3 is awaited with patience ... please
How does 800 D3 interact with your roomsice 
Best wishes Jens
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro Core Infinity, 2 x Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable, 2 x 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze Isolator Pods, AudioQuest WEL Signature Digital RCA-RCA / SimAudio MOON NEO 260D CD Transport, Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable, 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze Isolator Pods, AudioQuest Wild Digital AES/EBU / Rega RP10 w. Aphelion Pickup, Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable / Innuos Statement 4TB, Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable, 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bourdeaux IsoAcoustics Isolator Pods + 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo IsoAcoustics Isolator Pods , TelluriumQ Silver Diamond USB / Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, IsoAcoustics Gaia I Isolator Pods, TelluriumQ Statement Speaker Cable and Jumpers / B&W DB1D, Nordost TYR2 Power Cable, 2 x AudioQuest Wild Dog Analog RCA-RCA / AudioQuest Niagra 7000 Low-Z Power Noise-Dissipation System, Nordost Valhalla2 Power Cable, 4 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bourdeaux Isolator Pods  / 3 x Dedicated 16 AMP power line with Furutec FT-SWS NCF Wall socket / Supra Ethernet 8 cables and AQVOX AQ-Switch SE.
Ok, We have got 100+ hours on our 800d3's now.

B&W came over to see us a couple of weeks ago to have a listen. They were surprised and impressed with the performance we were able to get in our small 15' x 16' listening room. The speakers were 50cm in from the side walls and only 140cm from the rear wall (to the HF diaphragm).

Using our 440 Pro, we found careful isolation and cable choice was needed. Initially we used TelluriumQ Blue loudspeaker cables and the 440 sitting on a Hifi Racks Podium support.
Sound was thin (as expected). We moved up to Tellurium Black, then Ultra Black with an unveiling of extra resolution at each step. We still had a harsh, mechanical edge to the sound. Adding 2 Tellurium Ultra Blue Mains cables helped calm this down. Using 8 x Stillpoints Ultra SS nailed it. We were using a Melco N1Z as the source via USB throughout the session.

Initial results were a little flat compared with our traditional systems. Bear in mind that the Devialet costs considerably less than some systems we use. We have to listen to the system as a whole and try to be as objective and fair as possible.

Once the system was set up, we achieved very good sound with and without SAM enabled. Some music sounded mechanical and didn't flow with SAM on. Nice to be able to pick and choose though.

The B&W 800d3 is a remarkable loudspeaker, totally honest as to what you feed in. You will need to be careful to get the details correct or it will show. If you get the system balance right, they will reward you.

Well done to Devialet. On paper, 440 Pro should not really be able to work with the 800d3's in our listening room. Once tweaked, the system was able to convey a very believable, foot tapping musical experience.

S
Any new experience with Devialet and B&W 800 / 802 D3?
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(05-Sep-2020, 03:28)Delija Wrote: Any new experience with Devialet and B&W 800 / 802 D3?

Yes, Delija, I am interested as well- any new comments from anyone about this comparision??
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.