Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any B&W 802 D3 users ?
Hi

Wondering if there's anyone here using B&W 802 D3 with Ds ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(30-Mar-2016, 01:31)audio_engr Wrote: Hi

Hi

I do have 802 D3 since November 2015, very happy with it, any point in particular you want to discuss?

F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
I would be interested to know the size of your room and the spacing of the back and sides of the speakers from your walls.

I have a 21' x 14' space and could manage maybe 2' from the side walls and 3' from the rear. Good enough?

Fraser
(30-Mar-2016, 08:33)fraserhadden Wrote: I would be interested to know the size of your room and the spacing of the back and sides of the speakers from your walls.

I have a 21' x 14' space and could manage maybe 2' from the side walls and 3' from the rear. Good enough?

Fraser

My room is 10m x 6m, I believe your room is big enough for the 802 D3, B&W recommend a minimum of 0.5m from the side and the rear so 2' and 3' is ok. You may also want to consider also the volume of the room taking in consideration ceiling high before choosing in the 800 family.

F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
I have B&W 802D3 too. If you like very transparent systems, it probably is a very good way to go.

The only 'difficulties' I am facing with them are :
  • the power of their bass restitution ; this makes the bass very present and the placement in the room very important. My own room is 11m x 6m but the dedicated listening area only 3.5m x 6m. The only thing I can say is that the air is full of sound :-)
  • the sweet spot is quite narrow, at least in my environment (very best place, after a lot of tuning, is one seat).
These two reasons are driving me to contemplate the solution offered by Trinnov in terms of room correction.
(30-Mar-2016, 09:31)SwissBear Wrote: I have B&W 802D3 too. If you like very transparent systems, it probably is a very good way to go.

The only 'difficulties' I am facing with them are :
  • the power of their bass restitution ; this makes the bass very present and the placement in the room very important. My own room is 11m x 6m but the dedicated listening area only 3.5m x 6m. The only thing I can say is that the air is full of sound :-)
  • the sweet spot is quite narrow, at least in my environment (very best place, after a lot of tuning, is one seat).
These two reasons are driving me to contemplate the solution offered by Trinnov in terms of room correction.

Without meaning to hijack this thread are you considering the ST2 processor from Trinnov? How are you thinking about connecting this to the Devialet, in other words where in the chain will this sit? 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(30-Mar-2016, 11:29)GuillaumeB Wrote: Without meaning to hijack this thread are you considering the ST2 processor from Trinnov? How are you thinking about connecting this to the Devialet, in other words where in the chain will this sit? 

Guillaume

I am contemplating the purchase of a second hand Amethyst. I still need to make some tests to decide whether it will or not replace the DAC of Devialet. You have mentioned having tested it with an analog connection to the Devialet to your satisfaction, so this might be a very good option. ThierryNK who is an audiophile reviewer and an active promoter of Trinnov solutions, especially on French fora, has motivated me to test the AES/EBU digital input into the Devialet, therefore shunting the Amethyst's DAC. Not sure yet. I also need to check the streaming possibilities of the Amethyst, as they have a very good reputation too.
What is really motivating me is the room correction. I am so pleased with the Devialet in connection to the B&W in terms of SQ that I really need a solution to manage my room's reflection in the bass range.
(30-Mar-2016, 11:44)SwissBear Wrote:
(30-Mar-2016, 11:29)GuillaumeB Wrote: Without meaning to hijack this thread are you considering the ST2 processor from Trinnov? How are you thinking about connecting this to the Devialet, in other words where in the chain will this sit? 

Guillaume

I am contemplating the purchase of a second hand Amethyst. I still need to make some tests to decide whether it will or not replace the DAC of Devialet. You have mentioned having tested it with an analog connection to the Devialet to your satisfaction, so this might be a very good option. ThierryNK who is an audiophile reviewer and an active promoter of Trinnov solutions, especially on French fora, has motivated me to test the AES/EBU digital input into the Devialet, therefore shunting the Amethyst's DAC. Not sure yet. I also need to check the streaming possibilities of the Amethyst, as they have a very good reputation too.
What is really motivating me is the room correction. I am so pleased with the Devialet in connection to the B&W in terms of SQ that I really need a solution to manage my room's reflection in the bass range.

That's interesting because, for me, this combo really came alive when using an analogue output from the Amethyst. I don't really have an explanation for this but I'd be interested in hearing how you get on.

On the streaming front I simply installed BubbleUPnP server on my QNAP and used the Trinnov as an OpenHome renderer (using Linn Kazoo as a controller). At the time I made some comparisons between the totaldac and the Trinnov streamer both outputting via AES/EBU to the Devialet master (i.e. with room correction switched off) and there wasn't much in it. HOWEVER this was before my totaldac d1 server was upgraded, so I suspect this would no longer be the case. With that said I would say that the streamer part of the Amethyst is very competent from a SQ point of view.

I think the point to bear in mind with the analogue out route is that the Devialet ADC is extremely capable and VERY transparent to the point that it doesn't really matter if you are chaining DACs, however counter intuitive it may feel! It bothered me slightly but it sounded fantastic!

Anyway when you get your Amethyst we can start a new thread.  Wink I think the Amethyst is hugely underrated and unfortunately in the UK at least not well marketed. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(30-Mar-2016, 08:27)Frnch Wrote:

Hi

I do have 802 D3 since November 2015, very happy with it, any point in particular you want to discuss?

F

I am very new here on this Forum. I'm awaiting the arrival of my 802d3 + D400. I had been using the 802 since 1990 and had the Matrix 802 S2 but sadly lost 'em in the April 2015 devastating earthquake in Nepal where I was stationed, working with UN. Now that I've moved to West Africa very recently, its a brandnew start for me... once again. 

My room is 18-Ft wide x 30-Ft long with 9-Ft ceilings. The new 802d3 should work in this room I feel.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(30-Mar-2016, 12:09)audio_engr Wrote:
(30-Mar-2016, 08:27)Frnch Wrote:

Hi

F

I am very new here on this Forum. I'm awaiting the arrival of my 802d3 + D400. I had been using the 802 since 1990 and had the Matrix 802 S2 but sadly lost 'em in the April 2015 devastating earthquake in Nepal where I was stationed, working with UN. Now that I've moved to West Africa very recently, its a brandnew start for me... once again. 

My room is 18-Ft wide x 30-Ft long with 9-Ft ceilings. The new 802d3 should work in this room I feel.

Congratulation it is a great combination, just be prepare for a long burn in process with the 802 D3, it took me a long time to get them to their full potential, associate them with nice cables and change the original jumpers after few weeks, Nordost reference work great for me , then I promise you will not regret your choice.

Have fun!

F