Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Specs
I've looking at two speaker models from the same company.

I've posted the differences in specs and was hoping someone could explain (in plain English) what the difference would be. That is, what do the differences in the Impedance and Sensitivity numbers mean.

The speakers would be driven by a Devialet 200 and I was wondering if one would be easier to drive when compared to the other and what else would I need to know (please note all other specs are identical except for what I've posted).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(30-Mar-2016, 16:45)samurai7595 Wrote: I've looking at two speaker models from the same company.

I've posted the differences in specs and was hoping someone could explain (in plain English) what the difference would be.  That is, what do the differences in the Impedance and Sensitivity numbers mean.

The speakers would be driven by a Devialet 200 and I was wondering if one would be easier to drive when compared to the other and what else would I need to know (please note all other specs are identical except for what I've posted).

I'm not an expert but the 93 DB sensitivity speaker will probably be easier to drive as long as the impendance doesn't dip below 2 ohm. Roughly 3 db increase means an increase in sound of 100% so the difference in sensitivity is significant between the two models.
Amp / Dac: Devialet 400 = Speakers: Audio Physic Cadeas + VCF V Magnetic Source: Naim NDX - TeddyXps - Naim Unitiserve - Teddy Pardo PSU = Speakercables: Audioquest Redwood = Dig. Interlink: Audioquest Diamond (Bnc - Rca) = Master / Companion link: Audioquest Diamond (RCA - Aes/Ebu) = Ethernet: Audioquest Diamond RJ/E = Powercords: Shunyata Black Mamba VX, Black Mamba VX HC, Shunyata Viper Ztron 

The Netherlands

Some reference material:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-d...ensitivity
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

There is a quirk of loudspeaker design that to achieve higher efficiency often leads to lower impedance, all things being equal. So although the 93dB efficiency speaker should louder for a given amplifier volume setting, it may actually be harder to drive due to the lower impedance.

The key points though are that these manufacturer figures are notoriously unreliable and will tell you nothing about how the speakers will sound, and in particular the 4 ohms figure will not tell you if there is a impedance 'dip' in the frequency curve that could upset a Devialet or many other speakers.

I think in summary that these figures do not actually tell you that much! Although @Mollengijs words are absolutely correct, in theory at least.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Mar-2016, 20:14)Confused Wrote: There is a quirk of loudspeaker design that to achieve higher efficiency often leads to lower impedance, all things being equal.  So although the  93dB efficiency speaker should louder for a given amplifier volume setting, it may actually be harder to drive due to the lower impedance.

The key points though are that these manufacturer figures are notoriously unreliable and will tell you nothing about how the speakers will sound, and in particular the 4 ohms figure will not tell you if there is a impedance 'dip' in the frequency curve that could upset a Devialet or many other speakers.

I think in summary that these figures do not actually tell you that much!  Although @Mollengijs words are absolutely correct, in theory at least.

Thank you for explaining this further. I totally agree. I own Audio Physic speakers and all of the reference line speakers have the same impedance and sensibility (89 DB / 4 ohm) but they are different beasts and different loads to drive because the way they dip below 4 ohm. The Virgo dips the least to ~3,6 ohm and the Cardeas the most (~3,2 ohm). Luckily all well above the 2 ohm mark and they all sound wonderfully with Devialet.
Amp / Dac: Devialet 400 = Speakers: Audio Physic Cadeas + VCF V Magnetic Source: Naim NDX - TeddyXps - Naim Unitiserve - Teddy Pardo PSU = Speakercables: Audioquest Redwood = Dig. Interlink: Audioquest Diamond (Bnc - Rca) = Master / Companion link: Audioquest Diamond (RCA - Aes/Ebu) = Ethernet: Audioquest Diamond RJ/E = Powercords: Shunyata Black Mamba VX, Black Mamba VX HC, Shunyata Viper Ztron 

The Netherlands