Poll: How many files (tracks) in your digital music library?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1 to 3000
6.90%
10 6.90%
3000 to 6000
6.90%
10 6.90%
6000 to 10000
9.66%
14 9.66%
10000 to 15000
11.72%
17 11.72%
15000 to 20000
10.34%
15 10.34%
20000 to 30000
11.72%
17 11.72%
30000 to 50000
15.86%
23 15.86%
50000 to 100000
13.10%
19 13.10%
100000 +
11.03%
16 11.03%
I do not have a digital music library
2.76%
4 2.76%
Total 145 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How big is your music library
Mine is now 87,000 tracks - about 90 percent ripped from my CD collection (which is now stored in boxes in the garage) and 10 percent CD quality or better downloads.  These are nearly all classical music.  

However, these days I almost entirely listen to streamed music via Qobuz and now rarely purchase downloads.

My last CD purchase was at a concert a few months - expecting that the relatively obscure group  would never make it to Qobuz or to a digital download site.  To my surprise, within a week of my purchase, the CD was featured on Qobuz.  I now listen to it streamed from Qobuz rather than the ripped digital version.
(25-Sep-2016, 10:35)Will Wrote: Mine is now 87,000 tracks - about 90 percent ripped from my CD collection (which is now stored in boxes in the garage) and 10 percent CD quality or better downloads.  These are nearly all classical music.  

However, these days I almost entirely listen to streamed music via Qobuz and now rarely purchase downloads.

My last CD purchase was at a concert a few months - expecting that the relatively obscure group  would never make it to Qobuz or to a digital download site.  To my surprise, within a week of my purchase, the CD was featured on Qobuz.  I now listen to it streamed from Qobuz rather than the ripped digital version.

I tried to get Qobuz, but it seems their distribution in the US at least is highly limited. Most of the documentation was in French, and their web pages sometimes were confusing to say the least. Tidal, in contrast, was trivial to install, and is much better supported than Qobuz. All that being said, I would like to still try Qobuz, and I wonder if anyone in the US has it working.
My collection is about 35000 tracks (files in ALAC, 1.5 TB), mostly ripped CDs that have been relegated to the basement, lots of first class Qobuz downloads (part CD, part hirez quality), and ongoing vinyl rips in 48k or 96k resolution. 90% of my vinyl already made it on the HD. I find it crucial to keep two backup copies of each download and vinyl rip.
18TB mixed.. 13TB is ripped to DSD128 personally for over 2 years.. Smile
< Help Needed >

I have storage issues and am looking for a solution ...

Currently, most of my music is on CDs and slowly, am moving to computer audio ... 

Presently, they're in my MBP-13 laptop that has a 256 GB SSD and its almost full ...  

Thus I need to create quickly some work space on my laptop ...

I've ordered a LaCie 4TB rugged RAID external drive ... 

My files are currently under iTunes in my laptop's SSD and I use Roon for digital playback ..

Question

What's the best way to move the files ... create the work space in the laptop ... and still continue to enjoy using Roon with the help of the external hard drive ??
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Under preferences in iTunes, change the destination folder of you music library. Then tick keep library organized and copy new files to library. Then exit. Then , at iTunes under library menu, choose consolidate library. This way, the iTunes will move all the music files to the new folder you have selected and will be able to delete the files in your laptop
(09-Oct-2016, 18:56)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: Under preferences in iTunes, change the destination folder of you music library. Then tick keep library organized and copy new files to library. Then exit. Then , at iTunes under library menu, choose consolidate library. This way, the iTunes will move all the music files to the new folder you have selected and will be able to delete the files in your laptop

Thank you !!  Appreciate it ..  Smile

1. So iTunes library moves to the External drive. 

2. What about Roon ?   This is what I'll be using for playback ? Will Roon continue to pull music files off the external drive whilst the app runs from the laptop's SSD ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(09-Oct-2016, 20:01)audio_engr Wrote:
(09-Oct-2016, 18:56)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: Under preferences in iTunes, change the destination folder of you music library. Then tick keep library organized and copy new files to library. Then exit. Then , at iTunes under library menu, choose consolidate library. This way, the iTunes will move all the music files to the new folder you have selected and will be able to delete the files in your laptop

Thank you !!  Appreciate it ..  Smile

1. So iTunes library moves to the External drive. 

2. What about Roon ?   This is what I'll be using for playback ?  Will Roon continue to pull music files off the external drive whilst the app runs from the laptop's SSD ?

i have never used room and i cannot help you with that, i'm sorry
(09-Oct-2016, 20:01)audio_engr Wrote: 2. What about Roon ?   This is what I'll be using for playback ?  Will Roon continue to pull music files off the external drive whilst the app runs from the laptop's SSD ?

Yes. Just point Roon to the new location of your iTunes library.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(09-Oct-2016, 15:19)noblewolf Wrote: 18TB mixed.. 13TB is ripped to DSD128 personally for over 2 years.. Smile

18 TB ... that's huge collection , is all all flac ? How did you rip so much ? Did you use MAX ?

How do you navigate / search

I have 4TB of uncompressed couple of hundreds of cds and about 20k vinyls and I thought it's a big collection