Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi with external adapter
Hi all,

I would like to share my experience on wireless transmission, and I think it deserves a separate thread...

My current favourite setup is:
MacBook Pro -> wireless -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Audioquest Diamond 0.75m -> D800

I am happy with this setup since it provides very good sound quality and ease of operation since I can keep my MacBook with me at the listening chair..

I tried direct Ethernet connection with this setup, eliminating the Airport Extreme, but did get worse sound quality (due to probably the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter I had to use, since MacBook does not have an ethernet port!) and worse user experience to keep the MB near the system.

Everybody says disabling the WiFi has positive impact on the sound, but due to the setup I use, it was not an option. Then I read somewhere, taking the wireless outside the computer by an adapter may help.

Hence I ordered and installed a USB 3.0 wireless adapter:
Edimax EW-7822UAC AC1200 Dual-Band USB3.0 Adapter with Adjustable Foldaway Antenna

I am not sure if it is the best out there, but I chose it since I will also try the Edimax AC1200 Router for proper AC level connection

And disabled the internal wireless...

I should say I am shocked with the increase in resolution this simple addition brings on the table. My MacBook is the newest version large retina display, running 10.9.4, so everything is up to date. The addition of the Edimax is a real large step on sound quality with increased resolution, proper and rock solid soundstage placement, etc. The change is similar to what I experienced when I changed to Audioquest Diamond from Vodka.

Go figure!

The price currently is 28 USD on Amazon with Prime. I will report back once I have the matching router, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. The adapter is currently working on Wireless N 300Mbps, probably not compatible with the AC of Airport Extreme (I saw only once that they clicked on AC at 867 for a short while).

Cheers,

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Hello Kunter - funnily enough, as I type this I'm just experimenting with an Edimax EW-7811UN 150 Mbps 802.11b/g/n USB adapter. The aim is to see whether it cures my occasional AIR drop-outs. So far, so good…although I'm only 30 minutes into the test. It cost me the princely sum of £7.50 (about $12).

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Hi again...

Glad you are enjoying Edimax as well, Ian. Did you notice any change in sound quality compared to internal WiFi?

Last night I managed to run Edimax with Apple Airport Extreme in AC mode, reaching 800+ Mbps...
And I am very happy with the sound...

Cheers...
Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey