Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heard Devialet for the first time yesterday
Hi everyone, just joined the forum here after hearing a D120 and D200 for the first time yesterday at a dealer's place. It was at Midland Audio Exchange in the UK.

I heard them both with Harbeth P3ESR standmounts, same as I have at home, so it was a good real world test. In short, I was very impressed with how they sounded with the Harbeths using the SAM processing. It was verging on unbelievable the amount of bass and size of soundstage they created together. Pearl Jam and Sinatra alike were palpably in the room! And Mozart piano trio was perfectly proportioned and suitably lively. Really enjoyed the music-making.

At home I just have a CD transport / DAC and a turntable as sources. I'm not very interested in streaming, USB and the like. I've tried to do digital beyond a CD player a few times and whilst I've occasionally enjoyed it, I find the overall complexity, maintenance and things like wi-fi drop-outs too much hassle to bother with. This may change in the future, of course, but for now I'm happy spinning discs of both types.

I'm thinking of getting the 200 so I can connect my Nagra CD transport via the AES input (which to my surprise sounded better than S/PDIF during the demo) and use another input for my turntable, avoiding the unnecessary DAC and phono stage separates. I'll also use my Chord Hugo purely as a headphone amp via a digital output.

Currently I'm using an Audio-Technica AT-LP5 direct drive with Nagaoka MP-500 cartridge which sounds reasonable good. I'm thinking about possibly adding an SME turntable later this year with an SME M2-9R and using an Ortofon SPU into the Devialet phono input. Does anyone here use SPUs?

The Devialet will also replace my Leben valve integrated. Although I much prefer the looks of the Leben to the rather 'lifestyle' appearance of the Devialet, I think it's worth the aesthetic sacrifice. Actually the 120 and 200 are very discreet and could be put in a cupboard with my CD player and turntable on the top surface which would look very neat.

Anyway, looking forward to getting my 200 in the near future and just wanted to say hello  Smile
(10-Apr-2016, 21:51)Pidgy Wrote: Hi everyone, just joined the forum here after hearing a D120 and D200 for the first time yesterday at a dealer's place. It was at Midland Audio Exchange in the UK.

I heard them both with Harbeth P3ESR standmounts, same as I have at home, so it was a good real world test. In short, I was very impressed with how they sounded with the Harbeths using the SAM processing. It was verging on unbelievable the amount of bass and size of soundstage they created together. Pearl Jam and Sinatra alike were palpably in the room! And Mozart piano trio was perfectly proportioned and suitably lively. Really enjoyed the music-making.

At home I just have a CD transport / DAC and a turntable as sources. I'm not very interested in streaming, USB and the like. I've tried to do digital beyond a CD player a few times and whilst I've occasionally enjoyed it, I find the overall complexity, maintenance and things like wi-fi drop-outs too much hassle to bother with. This may change in the future, of course, but for now I'm happy spinning discs of both types.

I'm thinking of getting the 200 so I can connect my Nagra CD transport via the AES input (which to my surprise sounded better than S/PDIF during the demo) and use another input for my turntable, avoiding the unnecessary DAC and phono stage separates. I'll also use my Chord Hugo purely as a headphone amp via a digital output.

Currently I'm using an Audio-Technica AT-LP5 direct drive with Nagaoka MP-500 cartridge which sounds reasonable good. I'm thinking about possibly adding an SME turntable later this year with an SME M2-9R and using an Ortofon SPU into the Devialet phono input. Does anyone here use SPUs?

The Devialet will also replace my Leben valve integrated. Although I much prefer the looks of the Leben to the rather 'lifestyle' appearance of the Devialet, I think it's worth the aesthetic sacrifice. Actually the 120 and 200 are very discreet and could be put in a cupboard with my CD player and turntable on the top surface which would look very neat.

Anyway, looking forward to getting my 200 in the near future and just wanted to say hello  Smile

Welcome to the forum, I think you will enjoy your D200 once you pull the trigger.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

I have AB'd spdif vs AES/ebu using a miniDSP ddrc 22 , which has toslink , spdif and AES all live ..
I used spdif and AEs into 2 inputs on the devialet .. they both have a quite different sound , AES.EBU is substantially better than spdif .. not sure if its my output device or the Devialet..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Hello Pidgy. I'm sure you'll get good advice from the folks here, and from John at MAX (I bought my 200 from him back in 2013). Hope you don't have to wait too long for your Devialet to arrive!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Hi. New to the forum also. Recently I bought a D'Premier second hand for 6K Canadian$ then had it upgraded to the 250. As good as the D"Premier sounded I have no regrets. First of all I in love with music, Sec. of all I in love with music. If the equipment dose not produce sound as I would hear in a live performance, then it's out the door with it. Consequently this obsession has cost me shit load of money with no satisfaction, up until now. I'm not going to drop names of all the equipment I have had in my system but this I can say, my search for audio bliss is finally over. A friend of my was a broker for used audio equipment and aloud me to hang out with some fine high end gear. Each new piece made a difference to the sound but up until now I did not realise that it wasn't music. The 250 ability to produce an image  of a piano in my room being played by a real person is spooky. My system is minimal. I use an old Marantz SA11 MK2 player with Analysis Plus speaker cables to the Gallo Ref.3 speakers. For my music file I use JRivers and stream it with no issues to the 250. Now I can start to save up some money for my retirement in 3 years time . Wouldn't change a thing. Have fun with your new Devialet.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
(24-May-2016, 21:39)woodstock Wrote: Hi. New to the forum also. Recently I bought a D'Premier second hand for 6K Canadian$ then had it upgraded to the 250. As good as the D"Premier sounded I have no regrets. First of all I in love with music, Sec. of all I in love with music. If the equipment dose not produce sound as I would hear in a live performance, then it's out the door with it. Consequently this obsession has cost me shit load of money with no satisfaction, up until now. I'm not going to drop names of all the equipment I have had in my system but this I can say, my search for audio bliss is finally over. A friend of my was a broker for used audio equipment and aloud me to hang out with some fine high end gear. Each new piece made a difference to the sound but up until now I did not realise that it wasn't music. The 250 ability to produce an image  of a piano in my room being played by a real person is spooky. My system is minimal. I use an old Marantz SA11 MK2 player with Analysis Plus speaker cables to the Gallo Ref.3 speakers. For my music file I use JRivers and stream it with no issues to the 250. Now I can start to save up some money for my retirement in 3 years time . Wouldn't change a thing. Have fun with your new Devialet.

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum.

There's actually a thread where you can tell us all about the equipment you traded in to get to this blissful stage Smile

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...=traded+in
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Apr-2016, 21:51)FPidgy Wrote: Hi everyone, just joined the forum here after hearing a D120 and D200 for the first time yesterday at a dealer's place. It was at Midland Audio Exchange in the UK.

Hi Greg 
Did you buy a D200 ?