Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon sound quality observation
I quite enjoy using Roon but on extended listening session I was noticing that some music sounded off. . .a bit compressed and flat.  Especially heavy drum work and cymbals  I spent some time this weekend testing - not blind but I was able to consistently pick the one I liked.  I noticed that in my system there is a noticeable change in sound when running Roon (USB) thru to an Aries as an endpoint compared to either Air or Aries directly.

My setup is:  PC running Roon (music stored on a NAS) ->ethernet -> Aries -> D200 - Aries (via USB or Air)

Scenario 1 - least favorite.  Roon to Aries (endpoint) Via USB to D200
Scenario 2 - better than 1.  DS Lighting controlling Roon via USB to D200
Scenario 3 - Favorite.  Roon via AIR to D200

I have noticed this especially on music that is 192 and DSD.  Under 192 and streaming I can't consistently hear a difference.  I listen mostly to jazz and classical and the difference is most pronounced on good jazz recordings.

Thoughts?  It kind of makes sense although I kind of thought that 1 & 3 would be the same.
Aries via AIR to D200?

How is that even possible? AIR has windows and OSX drivers only, I thought? I assume you maybe mean AES?

There are reasons why AES could possibly sound better than USB. Actually Devialet indicates such themselves.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

interesting !

which scenario works the best?
AIR ?
I think I was unclear/wrong in my description. . for option 3 (the best sounding to me) I have a PC running Roon on a PC connected to D200 via Air. No Aries involved. . sorry!
(18-Apr-2016, 21:24)actx76092 Wrote: I think I was unclear/wrong in my description. . for option 3 (the best sounding to me) I have a PC running Roon on a PC connected to D200 via Air.  No Aries involved. . sorry!

That makes more sense and I find AIR sounds the best as well.  One reason is you take clocking, jitter and noise generated by the computer/Aries etc out of the picture and just send the audio data as needed using a custom delivery protocol sitting on top of standard network protocols to keep the Devialet's buffer full.  The Devialet reads the data from it's buffer as it needs it.  No physical connection to a noisy computer if using wireless and galvanic isolation if using ethernet.

PS) The Aries is just a small specialized computer optimized for audio delivery.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Thanks. . can you (easily) direct me to an article on the whole clocking issue? I am quite confused and have read a few rather unclear articles on jitter and clocking and am no closer to understanding what is happening to get music from a to b. thanks.
(18-Apr-2016, 21:53)Dr Tone Wrote: No physical connection to a noisy computer if using wireless and galvanized isolation if using ethernet.

I notice you've mentioned "galvanized isolation" a couple of times recently.  I think you mean "galvanic isolation".  "Galvanized" means something quite different.  Sorry to be pedantic, but it could be quite confusing...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Apr-2016, 21:59)actx76092 Wrote: Thanks. . can you (easily) direct me to an article on the whole clocking issue?  I am quite confused and have read a few rather unclear articles on jitter and clocking and am no closer to understanding what is happening to get music from a to b.  thanks.

I don't think it's something that is easily understandable.  I just figure it's an issue by all the chatter out there.

(18-Apr-2016, 22:13)thumb5 Wrote:
(18-Apr-2016, 21:53)Dr Tone Wrote: No physical connection to a noisy computer if using wireless and galvanized isolation if using ethernet.

I notice you've mentioned "galvanized isolation" a couple of times recently.  I think you mean "galvanic isolation".  "Galvanized" means something quite different.  Sorry to be pedantic, but it could be quite confusing...

Thanks!  At least you knew what I meant.

Smile indeed!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK