Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon sound quality observation
(19-Apr-2016, 09:00)hk6230 Wrote: First, according to Roonlabs knowledgebase, separating the core and audio output will supposedly result in better SQ, which should make sense considering leaving my NUC to focus on music library management and playback, and leave audio output handling to a AudioRenderer (which is RoonBridge). I always worried that my NUC running Win10 will have BSOD because of Devialet AIR device driver issue, which has happened many times in the past (though it has none for more than 1.5 month).

As for now, since I last re-configured my setup, it has been reliable and trouble free. And, Roon has been playing non-stop with all kind of music bitrate music with no issue. Having Fidelizer on both Core and Audio Output further improves SQ. I have also installed JPlay on the RoonBridge which now allows me to select JPlay ASIO or Devialet WASAPI output. Both use Devialet AIR-ETH streaming to my Le200.

I will update further after a longer period of testing.

Good work Gary! Smile 

Guillaume
(19-Apr-2016, 09:16)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Apr-2016, 09:00)hk6230 Wrote: First, according to Roonlabs knowledgebase, separating the core and audio output will supposedly result in better SQ, which should make sense considering leaving my NUC to focus on music library management and playback, and leave audio output handling to a AudioRenderer (which is RoonBridge). I always worried that my NUC running Win10 will have BSOD because of Devialet AIR device driver issue, which has happened many times in the past (though it has none for more than 1.5 month).

As for now, since I last re-configured my setup, it has been reliable and trouble free. And, Roon has been playing non-stop with all kind of music bitrate music with no issue. Having Fidelizer on both Core and Audio Output further improves SQ. I have also installed JPlay on the RoonBridge which now allows me to select JPlay ASIO or Devialet WASAPI output. Both use Devialet AIR-ETH streaming to my Le200.

I will update further after a longer period of testing.

Good work Gary! Smile 

Guillaume

Hi Gary

I decided to follow your lead, and installed the Core on an iMac, with RoonBridge on my NUC outputting to AIR.

So far so good, and AIR hasn't bombed out yet. (Which means nothing. I'll see how I feel in a week)

One small mystery: I copied the database files from the NUC (previous Core) to the iMac, but the system still insisted on re-scanning everything, which means I have lost the various edits I had made. The actual audio files have not moved. I was surprised that happened - I thought the database continued everything, and could be used to transfer to another system?
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
I really hope your AIR will work robustly. As for the database, I have no idea. Maybe you can raise this up at Roonlabs community forum. In fact, maybe we should ask for database transfer as a feature.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(19-Apr-2016, 03:11)Dr Tone Wrote: cross your fingers, do 2 back flips and hope for the best.

Haha! That made my day...  Big Grin
Good tutorial btw!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Great investigative work!   Now you've got me wanting to give AIR a try just one more time.   When I get a bit of time, I'll follow your lead and see how it turns out.  Keeping AIR off my core server may be the ticket.   I also have not seen any BSODs in awhile - I wonder if that may be the result of a Windows 10 update?   But since I still get the occasional stuttering from AIR, I've pretty much quit trying.  

What I like about your approach vs just waiting for the uRendu is that it would allow me to put AIR on a very stripped down PC that is simply dedicated to being a RoonBridge + AIR.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(19-Apr-2016, 12:41)Zappydev Wrote: One small mystery: I copied the database files from the NUC (previous Core) to the iMac, but the system still insisted on re-scanning everything, which means I have lost the various edits I had made. The actual audio files have not moved. I was surprised that happened - I thought the database continued everything, and could be used to transfer to another system?

I'm pretty sure it should retain everything, although I think it does rescan again after moving.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_mo...omputer%3F
and here
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-do-...erved/4638

Failing that, I'd get in touch they're very helpful.  Also, just a note that you have to close the machine running Roon before backing up/copying data as its a live database.  I believe they are working on a better strategy for this, like versioned/archived databases.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I have been reading this thread with interest but unlike most of the folks on here I am not all that tech savvy. At present I am trialling Roon, the core is on a PC controlled with IPad, my Aries plays this via USB into the D200.
From what I am reading, does this mean that I can dispense with the Aries and install the core on a MacBook equipped with AIR and stream direct to the D200? My main complaint about Roon is having to have my main PC on when I want to listen to music as it is another part of the house, using the MacBook would simplify things. (My music is all on a Synology NAS)
By the way what is an NUC? Cheers
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
(19-Apr-2016, 19:40)misterpete Wrote: I have been reading this thread with interest but unlike most of the folks on here I am not all that tech savvy. At present I am trialling Roon, the core is on a PC controlled with IPad, my Aries plays this via USB into the D200.
From what I am reading, does this mean that I can dispense with the Aries and install the core on a MacBook equipped with AIR and stream direct to the D200? My main complaint about Roon is having to have my main PC on when I want to listen to music as it is another part of the house, using the MacBook would simplify things. (My music is all on a Synology NAS)
By the way what is an NUC?  Cheers

Yes, that is what it means. You have one of the configurations that I reference in the OP. Note that in my experience (and many on this board), Air on the Mac is not as robust as on a Win 10 PC. YMMV, but for me, Air on Mac doesn't really work. On a Win 10 PC (very cheap one) it is rock solid except when playing DSD files if I have my MacBook in the same room. . .then it gets spotty and drops. With anything else including 192 I have no issues at all.
(19-Apr-2016, 19:40)misterpete Wrote: I have been reading this thread with interest but unlike most of the folks on here I am not all that tech savvy. At present I am trialling Roon, the core is on a PC controlled with IPad, my Aries plays this via USB into the D200.

I don't think you'll get Roon stable through AIR on a Mac.

Intel NUC.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...rview.html
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(19-Apr-2016, 20:00)Dr Tone Wrote:

I don't think you'll get Roon stable through AIR on a Mac.

Intel NUC.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...rview.html

Many thanks guys, much appreciated. Those mini PCs look tasty.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50