Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon sound quality observation
(19-Apr-2016, 19:40)misterpete Wrote: I have been reading this thread with interest but unlike most of the folks on here I am not all that tech savvy. At present I am trialling Roon, the core is on a PC controlled with IPad, my Aries plays this via USB into the D200.
From what I am reading, does this mean that I can dispense with the Aries and install the core on a MacBook equipped with AIR and stream direct to the D200? My main complaint about Roon is having to have my main PC on when I want to listen to music as it is another part of the house, using the MacBook would simplify things. (My music is all on a Synology NAS)
By the way what is an NUC?  Cheers

Misterpete, aren't you happy with the sound from the Aries?
I only ask because if you are you could just install Roon on your MacBook, and connect the Aries to that?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Well I didn't knock on wood hard enough. I just got a blast of white noise after 4 days of use, stupid F'N Devialet Air. I can continue my #AirIsAJoke twitter campaign.

I'll try the beta drivers first I guess.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Dr. Tone, are you using AIR-WIFI or AIR-ETH? May I know what are you using as your RoonBridge? We can't be having an opposite results. I'm sure there is/are area(s) we can identify to make AIR works.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(19-Apr-2016, 21:21)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(19-Apr-2016, 19:40)misterpete Wrote: I have been reading this thread with interest but unlike most of the folks on here I am not all that tech savvy. At present I am trialling Roon, the core is on a PC controlled with IPad, my Aries plays this via USB into the D200.
From what I am reading, does this mean that I can dispense with the Aries and install the core on a MacBook equipped with AIR and stream direct to the D200? My main complaint about Roon is having to have my main PC on when I want to listen to music as it is another part of the house, using the MacBook would simplify things. (My music is all on a Synology NAS)

I only ask because if you are you could just install Roon on your MacBook, and connect the Aries to that?

I believe Hifi_swlon is right, Aries can be a RoonBridge and you can use your MacBook as Core and Remote and streaming to Aries which output to your Devialet.

If you like to explore AIR, I would suggest that you get an old PC/Notebook running Win 8.1 and install RoonBridge on it. This old PC can be put anyway in your house with wired connection to a router. Your Devialet, of course, must be wired to the network, too. Again, it can be in another room. With Roon Core installed in your MacBook, you can then select your Audio Output to the RoonBridge which has Devialet AIR enabled. The only concern I have may be your MacBook being wirelessly hooked to your network which may not be ideal as Core.

My above method will solve most Apple/Macbook users' need to have (a more) reliable AIR to Devialet.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(19-Apr-2016, 21:21)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

I believe Hifi_swlon is right, Aries can be a RoonBridge and you can use your MacBook as Core and Remote and streaming to Aries which output to your Devialet.

If you like to explore AIR, I would suggest that you get an old PC/Notebook running Win 8.1 and install RoonBridge on it. This old PC can be put anyway in your house with wired connection to a router. Your Devialet, of course, must be wired to the network, too. Again, it can be in another room. With Roon Core installed in your MacBook, you can then select your Audio Output to the RoonBridge which has Devialet AIR enabled. The only concern I have may be your MacBook being wirelessly hooked to your network which may not be ideal as Core.

My above method will solve most Apple/Macbook users' need to have (a more) reliable AIR to Devialet.

I see Windows defender turns itself on again after an undisclosed period of time. To completely turn it off it needs to be done in gpedit. So I've now done that and completely disabled the Windows Update service.

Installed beta 4 of the drivers as well. May the force be with me this time! 4 days white noise free is the record.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Gary - I like you suggestion. I am going to try it tomorrow.

Devialet 400 connected via ethernet
Mac Mini running Core connected via ethernet
HP Laptop running Windows 1o connected via ethernet running RoonBridge

Will let you all know how I fair. If it works out well this is nice alternative to a microRendu, or my wait for Roon/Devialet integration.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
@baddog, your HP running Win 10 may caused BSOD. Just take note of that. But this way your AIR with Exclusive and Event driven modes will definitely work.

And yes, I would love to hear how it works out for you in your environment.

(20-Apr-2016, 02:06)Dr Tone Wrote: I see Windows defender turns itself on again after an undisclosed period of time. To completely turn it off it needs to be done in gpedit. So I've now done that and completely disabled the Windows Update service.

Installed beta 4 of the drivers as well.  May the force be with me this time!  4 days white noise free is the record.

Dr Tone, I don't believe it is the Windows Defender that causes the problem. If you can, may I suggest that you use O&O ShutUp10 to 'really' stop Windows Defender and Windows Update services.

If you are using Win10, AIR 2.1.3 is definitely better than 2.1.4b.

@Gary - Thanks - I will take note of any BSOD - and if so, determine if there is a possible fallback to Windows 8.1 ( need to find the ISO image ).

Barr
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US