Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY D200 to D250 Conversion
This weekend's project will be to attempt converting my D200 to a D250 via simply renaming my existing D200 to a D250 via the configurator. No idea if it can be this simple but I have it on good authority they're identical electronics contained within a different box/case. However, my previous convection modifications should easily allow for at least matching thermal efficiencies, perhaps even better than an OEM D250 enclosure... time will tell. No way to know without the effort and minimal risk. Also no way to know if it can be as simple as renaming my 200 a 250 via the configurator but it would seem at least intuitively possible. And if possible it seems to be an even greater logical conclusion to the mods I did previously via the stripping/black anodizing, PEM-ectomy, PSU modifications and high efficiency thermal cooling medium, WBT silver binding posts, eliminating ALL magnetic fasteners/provisions and passive or active convection cooling available to me at this point. May not work at all in which case I wasted a day. But I prefer to look at it from a "what if it does work!?!" Especially if accomplished via a simple config change. A minimal risk 30 minute SW/FW investment for a potential D200 to D250 upgrade seems at the very least, a worthwhile endeavor to me!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Nice idea! I wonder if anyone else has tried it? Would be amusing if it works.
forgive my ignorance here....

Factoring out your mods are the "guts" of the 200 virtually / mostly the same as the 250 (whose case appears to differ, at least to my interpretation, to cover the increased heat generated by the increased power)?

If this can be done it would be an eye opener and something that I would think Devialet might have anticipated and built in a way to negate it from happening.

As a new owner of a 400 having recently acquired a Companion, I wait with baited breath on your findings as I'm not sure should you be successful if that now opens up the possibility of turning a 400 into a 800?

Again forgive my ignorance I am anything but a Devialet expert...
Oppo 95 >> HDMI >> Kanex De-embedder >> Digital Coax >> Dev 400 >> Bryston Middle T
There has to be a check internally in the unit that prevents you from loading a 250 config file. Any hacking the config file will break the checksum generated with it.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I'm sure I read somewhere that someone thought it was a possibility the D200 was maybe deliberately handicapped by Devialet compared to the D250 - rather than it being down to cases/heat sinks. A bit vague I know but I can't remember quite where that thought came from....

It seems quite plausible to me though - we'd never know if less refined sampling algorithms etc were used in a D200 for example. In theory, if you took the boards out of their cases they should both sound identical if the case is meant to be the only difference, but I have a hunch they wouldn't..... Well, you know in theory, they'd perhaps both just blow up with no case Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Bravo, Manoet. Another daring endeavor! Good luck and wish you every success on this.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Can't wait to read your reports.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I suspect you will need to convince the firmware rather than the configurator that you have a 250. That being said, let us know!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I did some research on how to manually modify the config file, without having to pay a visit to configurator, but I could't figure out how to calculate the CRC.

I seems that Devialet uses a 32bit CRC, but after tried some CRC softwares, I finally gave it up.
Dare to learn!
[Mac Mini => Devialet 200 => Elac FS 509 VX JET]
(22-Apr-2016, 13:16)Jeffaz Wrote: I did some research on how to manually modify the config file, without having to pay a visit to configurator, but I could't figure out how to calculate the CRC.

I seems that Devialet uses a 32bit CRC, but after tried some CRC softwares, I finally gave it up.

They have probably added some random seed to the CRC to prevent manipulation of the config files. I guess the intention is to prevent damage of either the speakers or the amp.