Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different sound volume lossless and highres files
Hi,

I'm using iTunes to play via AIR (ETH-connected) to Devialet 120.

Most of the tracks are normal lossless AIFF (16 bit 44 kHz) some AIFF 24 bit (92 kHz or higher).

With a constant volume setting on Devialet 'normal' AIFF lossless are played louder than higher resolution AIFFs.

Does anybody know what is the reason for that?

Kind regards,

Knud
---
Devialet Expert 220 pro (Upgrade from LE 120), SAM on (100%), DPM off
USB
Macbook Air (4GB RAM), 2TB SSD via Thunderbolt
Audirvana+ 3.x in iTunes-Mode
KEF LS50
Russ Andrews YellO Power to wall socket
Russ Andrews X6 Block
A lot of pop music is mastered to be played on earbuds or in cars by compressing the dynamic range and raising the average volume. If the music's natural dynamic range is retained, hopefully the case in releases purported to be high quality, the average volume level has to be lower so the dynamic peaks don't cause clipping.
I have excellent quality classical recordings where the volume setting on my amp is 15dB higher for an apparent equal loudness to compressed pop, but the loud dynamics of orchestral crescendi are much louder than the "loud" bits of the pop music, which is pretty well uniformly loud all the time.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire