Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Flow Underneath Devialet
Would there be any benefit to "lifting" a Devialet 200 from the rack by placing some higher footers underneath the unit for additional air flow?

I'm really not concerned about isolation but more for air flow in order to keep the unit running cooler.

Anyone try this?
Mine is at least 3in higher, and temperature is hovering around mid 30s. Not sure if this is the reason, though.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(22-Apr-2016, 16:25)samurai7595 Wrote: Would there be any benefit to "lifting" a Devialet 200 from the rack by placing some higher footers underneath the unit for additional air flow?

I'm really not concerned about isolation but more for air flow in order to keep the unit running cooler.

Anyone try this?

There is no reason not to.  I found some fairly firm 1" rubber foam discs to put under mine.  A little isolation and a little more air flow.  $10
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I have the units elevated on vibrapods with cones with a 1-2 degree difference on standby - maybe better SQ but hard to say . . we'll see!
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
IIRC, @Manoet determined that airflow under his Devialet did not affect temperature. This was when he was performing his monumental "tweak" aimed at reducing temperature and increasing sound quality.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
The only way to really provide sufficient cooling would probably be by constructing a rack/bench/shelf with built in liquid cooling, using a top metal surface (working as a heat sink absorbing heat from the amp) for the Devialet to sit on. There are plenty of good systems for cooling on the market today for use with DIY PCs.

It's unclear however, as pointed out earlier, if this would have any sonic benefits but with the D900 the Devialet team has invested a lot of effort to bring down operating temperatures so there should be SOME benefit to be had from this, hypothetically at least...
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
While I can't remember specifics I would've thought I might have found at least 'slight' improvements. However, it must be remembered that my 200 is convection-cooled with inlet/outlet airways which will necessarily be VASTLY more effective than an outta-the-box non-ventilated sealed enclosure! Also I remember specifically it cools dramatically better wall-mounted rather than surface mounted. I specifically remember that the wall-mounting plate responded significantly better temp-wise to having a significant (+ or - 100mm) tall swath of acrylic material removed left-to-right as well as having much of the acrylic that was covering my cold-air intakes 'unshrouded', ie; removed from the cold-air intake path. But all of this is remembered perfectly as written in the original temp-testing posts with pics.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(25-Apr-2016, 19:19)Manoet Wrote: While I can't remember specifics I would've thought I might have found at least 'slight' improvements. However, it must be remembered that my 200 is convection-cooled with inlet/outlet airways which will necessarily be VASTLY more effective than an outta-the-box non-ventilated sealed enclosure! Also I remember specifically it cools dramatically better wall-mounted rather than surface mounted. I specifically remember that the wall-mounting plate responded significantly better temp-wise to having a significant (+ or - 100mm) tall swath of acrylic material removed left-to-right as well as having much of the acrylic that was covering my cold-air intakes 'unshrouded', ie; removed from the cold-air intake path. But all of this is remembered perfectly as written in the original temp-testing posts with pics.

Thanks for the clarification.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I can confirm that wall mounting gives lower temperatures.
One of my Ds is wall mounted, the other on the rack, unelevated.
Wall mounted:  A 53 D 43 Supply 47
Rack mounted: A 57 D 49 Supply 52
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(26-Apr-2016, 15:59)Axel Wrote: I can confirm that wall mounting gives lower temperatures.
One of my Ds is wall mounted, the other on the rack, unelevated.
Wall mounted:  A 53 D 43 Supply 47
Rack mounted: A 57 D 49 Supply 52

Interesting.  I wonder if a slight tilt would provide most of the benefit, or put another way how vertical does it need to be for the temp to drop?