Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 not very good sounding at low volume
I have my 200 for around 6 weeks and have put at least 300 hours on it. The longer I have it the more I realize that the amp needs a certain volume to come alive. At -30 it sounds boring and it starts to come alive at -20 or less. My friend who also owns a 200 oberserved the same thing.

I have restricted the max output to watts with is plenty with my horns. I wish they had a 5 or 10 watt setting for people with high efficiency horns.

Have other experienced the same? Remember that the review on computeraudiophile also obeserved this. A digital volume control is never 100% transparent, unfortunately.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Most digital volume implementation lose resolution at low volume. If that is the case with Devialet, it may not be suitable for very high sensitivity speakers.
Devailet 200, Lumin A1, Magico S5, Kimber ks6063, Rockport Capella, Benz Micro Ruby, Kimber ks1026
That's what I tell my wife... "It needs to be cracked up honey! It just doesn't sound as when turned down!" Smile

I find that after a day or so of continuous play it sounds a LOT better and I tend to play at lower volumes and hear more detail. Try keeping it playing for 24h, see what you think.

BTW, I also use a Mac mini and am not sure whether it's the amp or the Mac that improves.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
CharlesL, my friend uses normal efficiency speakers and observed the same.

Pim, I also have internal ssd, external hd and also use a monitor, trackpad and keyboard for remote.
In case you use the stock smps from the mini would like to suggest to get a good linear one.

Will try to keep mini and dev on 24/7 and see whether this make a difference. Wont play music though, just keep
The stuff switched on, worried hd wears out too fast
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Thanks for the tip Mike but I'm not planning to use the mac forever. At some stage I want to get a purpose built streamer.

The Devialet might not stay on if you're not playing music depending on your settings. I think with the standard settings it turns off after 20 minutes of no music input. Try Tidal or another streamer if you don't want to spin your HDD.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
At some point I'd like to get a purpose built unit as well, something like the melco perhaps. Or maybe first getting a used companion to upgrade to 400. Not sure yet.

I disabled the automatic switch off function so it will stay on
(23-Apr-2016, 03:49)Duomike Wrote: I have my 200 for around 6 weeks and have put at least 300 hours on it. The longer I have it the more I realize that the amp needs a certain volume to come alive. At -30 it sounds boring and it starts to come alive at -20 or less. My friend who also owns a 200 oberserved the same thing.

I have restricted the max output to watts with is plenty with my horns. I wish they had a 5 or 10 watt setting for people with high efficiency horns.

Have other experienced the same? Remember that the review on computeraudiophile also obeserved this. A digital volume control is never 100% transparent, unfortunately.

Just leave it at full power. This reduction of output power  in configurator is not needed for the Duo or anything else. Dev 400 was far more transparent than Kondo Neiro on Trio setup. The Gryphon Anthileon too.
I am not sure, but I think that Your Duo has impedance of 16 Ohms!!! Cheers Hrky
Yes, duos got 16 ohms, similar to trios. Amp is very transparent but it loses emotion at lower volume levels due to digital attentuation. Maybe you heard the 400/trio setup at very high volume levels?
(23-Apr-2016, 17:08)Duomike Wrote: Yes, duos got 16 ohms, similar to trios. Amp is very transparent but it loses emotion at lower volume levels due to digital attentuation. Maybe you heard the 400/trio setup at very high volume levels?

This power limiting is wrong.... On low level emotions are in lower mids or upper bass region. You maybe have some issues with "modifications"...
because Le Dev is " bass perfect!"
Regards, Hrky
Read this "problem" on whathifi 
http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/110/review

Besides the AIR problems, lack of software support ( Roonlabs) 
I wait to buy a Devialet expert.