Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 not very good sounding at low volume
After reading all seven pages, I kept wondering why the op wouldn't just try changing the configuration to output full power, it would take less than 15 mins to have a quick listening session. If it turns out the high sensitivity of the said speakers produce distortion under such high power, it is easy enough to lower the output power again.
(24-Apr-2016, 22:57)Dr Tone Wrote:
(24-Apr-2016, 22:40)Damon Wrote: And there is a loudness feature which you can set up in the configurator, and assign a button to. The contour boosts some frequencies, compensating in part for the way ears hear at different sound pressure levels.
Are you talking ICM?  Not really the same thing as a stereotypical loudness button.

After someone else asked me about the loudness function, I went back to the configurator to try and find it. I could not. I do believe I remember having such a function assigned to a button on the remote, but it seems I was mistaken. I have not actually been into the configurator in many months, probably six or eight, so I've clearly made up the loudness function on my own. My mistake; apologies to all.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(04-May-2016, 21:33)Damon Wrote:
(24-Apr-2016, 22:57)Dr Tone Wrote:
(24-Apr-2016, 22:40)Damon Wrote: And there is a loudness feature which you can set up in the configurator, and assign a button to. The contour boosts some frequencies, compensating in part for the way ears hear at different sound pressure levels.
Are you talking ICM?  Not really the same thing as a stereotypical loudness button.

After someone else asked me about the loudness function, I went back to the configurator to try and find it. I could not. I do believe I remember having such a function assigned to a button on the remote, but it seems I was mistaken. I have not actually been into the configurator in many months, probably six or eight, so I've clearly made up the loudness function on my own. My mistake; apologies to all.

It would be a nice option.  Even the ability to toggle the tone controls on and off would be cool.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(23-Apr-2016, 03:49)Duomike Wrote: I have my 200 for around 6 weeks and have put at least 300 hours on it. The longer I have it the more I realize that the amp needs a certain volume to come alive. At -30 it sounds boring and it starts to come alive at -20 or less. My friend who also owns a 200 oberserved the same thing.

I have restricted the max output to watts with is plenty with my horns. I wish they had a 5 or 10 watt setting for people with high efficiency horns.

Have other experienced the same? Remember that the review on computeraudiophile also obeserved this. A digital volume control is never 100% transparent, unfortunately.
I have only recently got back my D'Premier, had it upgraded to the 250. I don't have the problem at low volumes. It is very detailed and life like. Yes it sounds more engaging at higher volumes but I imagine that's because that what we hear when listening to live music. At lower volumes I have had no issues with loosing the sonic picture; it is all there, just at lower volumes. My set up is simple, Marantz SA11 MK2, using JRivers for my files, and Gallo Ref. 3 speakers. It is spooky how life like the sound is.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less