Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom review
Phantom review from 'Innerfidelity'

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/dev...jvsy3vQ.97

David
And we're mentioned! With a link even!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yes, but Tyll Hertsens seems to think that devialetchat is Devialet's forum, not "ours". I guess Guillaume should send a mail to mr. Hertsens explaining why devialetchat was started.

EDIT: Forgot to say that finally someone is also describing the problems related to a Devialet product, not only the marketing speak from the manufacturer. Good and honest reviewing!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
It's a good honest review that shows the problems that a lot of us experience, at the same time showing that the actual speaker is brilliant. Also he mentioned the 1000 track limit in Spark. Im just wondering when he says about the Optical Toslink socket being quite recessed that he has hissy sound when connected, I've noticed that you have to push the cable very hard in until it clicks. Im thinking maybe some people aren't fully connecting it. If you can pull it out easily its not in right. Ive never had any hiss from mine and its always been connected this way.
And as PIM said we got a mention. :-)
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
I agree, one of the best reviews yet of the Phantom. I especially appreciated Tyll's context for both his perspective and how the Phantoms fit into an audiophile's world. My favorite, though, was his conclusion: "The Devialet Phantom promises an apex personal audio experience in the home...it just doesn't deliver it reliably...yet." Well Said. Let's hope that Devialet removes that "yet" soon.
Nice review but i wish Innerfidelity's big brother Stereophile would review the Phantoms. It would be great to get JA's measurements get a better understanding of the Phantom's true capabilities. I guess Stereophile reviewers would not put up with all the problems described in the Innerfidelity review. It is hard to believe that it has been over a year since the Phantoms were launched and Devialet still can't get the to work reliably. For what they cost this is truly unacceptable.

I personally did not think this was a very positive review. Other than liking the bass, the reviewer comments on the "hard sounding" midrange and treble.
Hello.

I think the reviewer did not understand what a wireless connection is, again.
Peoples tend to think it works the same way as a wired one, or, that it is as efficient when it simply isn't.

Let's have a look at what happens when you connect , let say, a smartphone, to a router using WIFI, to connect to the internet.
In fact, your connection is far from perfect, and a lot of packet are lost. But there is a mechanism that allow unreceived packet to be resent, until it reach its destination. It does eat a lot of bandwith, but since WIFI has a lot more bandwidth available than your usage, or your internet connection, it is fairly unnoticeable.

When you use your wireless connection to stream music to a speaker, it is completely different. Latency induced by resent packet is not acceptable. So if there is lost packet, or at least, to many of them, they are simply lost, and you can have dropout, or maybe the whole system will switch to a lower sound definition, to used less bandwidth, and improve connection stability, which will result in lower sound quality.

Long story short, I guess most of the connection issues, drop-out, sound quality problem peoples report are not the becasue of issue from the Phantom, or Devialet., but beacause of a poor WIFI setup. Good enough for data transmitting, but definitely not good enough for direct sound streaming.
The fact the most of users can solved it by going wired tend to make me believe I right.