Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
AIR 3 Beta for Mac
Crikey. I shall eat my words immediately...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-May-2016, 15:22)thumb5 Wrote: Crikey.  I shall eat my words immediately...

Give it time. Big Grin

(s*** sorry, I take that back - I said I was going to be positive Blush )

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(11-May-2016, 15:21)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Had you tried AIR2 since getting the Od'A?  Maybe they made changes that end that would make AIR sound better or be more reliable?

No I hadn't. To be honest I did suspect that something had changed at the OdA end but then they went and released this to everyone, so presumably they expect this to fix everyone's woes. Well the Mac users at least.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
No I hadn't. To be honest I did suspect that something had changed at the OdA end but then they went and released this to everyone, so presumably they expect this to fix everyone's woes. Well the Mac users at least.
[/quote]

Was thinking more about the SQ aspect really, but I suppose that will become clear soon enough, once its being tested throughout the range.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

May I ask what version of OS X you're using, Guillaume?

Does AIR 3 give any extra bells and whistles (such as or remote on/off, volume control, ...) compared to AIR 2?
Warwickshire, UK
(11-May-2016, 15:29)thumb5 Wrote: May I ask what version of OS X you're using, Guillaume?

Does AIR 3 give any extra bells and whistles (such as or remote on/off, volume control, ...) compared to AIR 2?

See here:

No bells or whistles just fabulous sound...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I too have been testing the new AIR3 beta and I think it is fair to say that Guillaume and I come to it from different perspectives.

So I am much more of the view that "bits are bits" and that, given that Devialet has consistently used a Mac and AIR in demonstrations and it worked, whereas mine did not, there must be an engineering solution out there. Whereas I think it is fair to say that Guillaume takes the view that laptops and hifi do not comfortably mix and there are (or have been) more robust solutions out there to make good music.

However, we both now experience noise free drop-out free sound and whilst I am wary of commenting on comparative quality I can just say it is seemingly excellent and faultless.

Of course, this does not invalidate other sources which are sonically excellent and operationally preferred but is does appear to show that, finally, Devialet has cracked this issue for me.

I am, like Guillaume, using AIR3 with a Mac and an Od'A and so I have had no opportunity to try it with an 800 or whatever, or with Windows of course, so my delight is tempered with this warning; but if this Od'A is a factor it will clearly need to be part of Devialet's offering at some point, as will a parallel Windows solution.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Ian, I'm very pleased to hear that AIR 3 is working well in your system too. That really does sound hopeful.
Warwickshire, UK
(11-May-2016, 15:38)IanG-UK Wrote: I too have been testing the new AIR3 beta.....

How long have you had it running Ian if you don't mind me asking?
I would think we'd need at least a couple of months and in a few more network environments before we say its been fixed, but its sounding hopeful. A good start anyway.

Perhaps Devialet waited until they'd seen all the microRendu 'awaiting delivery' comments here before announcing. If so, at least they've got a sense of humour Wink

Downloaded AIR 3.0 on my MacBook-Air. installation went smooth, had to re-start my Mac.

Used Roon to pick up Devialet-Air zone, played my fav tracks - No white noise observed. Before i could do critical listening, it only lasted for about 3 tracks ... Sad before it dropped. In fact it got stuck. Roon did not find any zone. i had to re-start my Mac-Air and restarted to play the tracks on AIR 3.0 - again it dropped within couple music track.

Blame it on (a) H/W (b) Roon © iPad AIR app is previous one ?

FYI Devialet is on ETH.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"