Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet starts playing at volume level -12
It was 'solved' for a while but now it's back. I use a dedicated PC installed with Windows 2012R2 and JRiver via Air. Always when change back from another input on the Devialet or start playing something from JRiver the volume on the Devialet jumps to -12, which is on the loud side when you don't 'expect' it.

i have set 'Disabled volume' within JRiver at the moment, but other settings don't change the problem. The sound settings in control panel are set to 'exclusive mode'.

Does somebody has a clue what to set where to always use the Devialet settings for volume control?
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
In the configurator there is a setting for the start up volume, and that is -40.0 as a default. I assume you have adjusted that setting? General settings, in the upper left corner of the configurator screen. I can't help with any aspect of JRiver, but I would think that the configurator setting would overrule any other music interface.

I think you may be able to set input sensitivity for a particular input, but I think you are talking about the output volume, correct?

I use a Sonos Connect, and the input to the Dev is set to 'fixed' which means full volume from the Connect to the optical input. The Dev volume always controls the volume, and i've never had it start at any volume other than -40.0. That start up volume is of course only implemented when the amp is woken up from stand by.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(24-May-2016, 22:14)Damon Wrote: In the configurator there is a setting for the start up volume, and that is -40.0 as a default. I assume you have adjusted that setting? General settings, in the upper left corner of the configurator screen. I can't help with any aspect of JRiver, but I would think that the configurator setting would overrule any other music interface.

I think you may be able to set input sensitivity for a particular input, but I think you are talking about the output volume, correct?

I use a Sonos Connect, and the input to the Dev is set to 'fixed' which means full volume from the Connect to the optical input. The Dev volume always controls the volume, and i've never had it start at any volume other than -40.0. That start up volume is of course only implemented when the amp is woken up from stand by.

Well, that's the thing, the Devialet is set tot the defeault -40, that's why it's strange. It only occurs when using Air over ethernet (i don't use wifi). Despite what i change on the Devialet or the PC, it starts playing at -12... Strange so to say, and annoying...
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(24-May-2016, 22:21)Bartype Wrote:
(24-May-2016, 22:14)Damon Wrote: In the configurator there is a setting for the start up volume, and that is -40.0 as a default. I assume you have adjusted that setting? General settings, in the upper left corner of the configurator screen. I can't help with any aspect of JRiver, but I would think that the configurator setting would overrule any other music interface.

Well, that's the thing, the Devialet is set tot the defeault -40, that's why it's strange. It only occurs when using Air over ethernet (i don't use wifi). Despite what i change on the Devialet or the PC, it starts playing at -12... Strange so to say, and annoying...
Have you tried with a default configuration?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I believe you have set using Forced Volume out which will set the volume to -12dB
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(24-May-2016, 23:43)hk6230 Wrote: I believe you have set using Forced Volume out which will set the volume to -12dB

Something at the back of my mind was telling me I'd seen this problem before and I think you've got it.   It's a volume setting or combination of settings on jRiver that seems to cause this weird behaviour.
Thank you all for the responses... I have checked all options, where do you set this forced volume?

(24-May-2016, 23:43)hk6230 Wrote: I believe you have set using Forced Volume out which will set the volume to -12dB

Garry, somewhere you were explaining to set Forced volume in Tidal for AIR3 and I tried that. I can't remember what volume it went to but a similar thing happened. At the start of every new song, the volume went up on my D200. It only took me a few song before I'd had enough of it and turned it off.

So Bartype. I know you're running a completely different setup but you might find it in the same direction.

Good luck!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I can see I asked exactly the same question back in September 2014 on the jRiver forum! And no answers...
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...ic=91503.0

From memory the problem *might* have been me setting Audio Device -> Device Settings... -> Maximise device volume during playback. I currently don't have that checked.
My Volume settings are

Volume mode: Disabled Volume
Volume Protection: unticked
Maximum volume: 100
(25-May-2016, 11:28)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I can see I asked exactly the same question back in September 2014 on the jRiver forum! And no answers...
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...ic=91503.0

From memory the problem *might* have been me setting Audio Device -> Device Settings... -> Maximise device volume during playback.   I currently don't have that checked.
My Volume settings are

Volume mode: Disabled Volume
Volume Protection: unticked
Maximum volume: 100

Great, thank you guys! It was the 'Maximise device volume during playback setting'! A lot better this way!