Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTD Devialet D200 Chassis
(26-Aug-2017, 08:07)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(26-Aug-2017, 01:53)PeppaPig Wrote:
(20-Aug-2017, 16:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: They don't - all internals are identical.

I'm not talking about what they cost but the retail value. The numbers are the numbers.

You mean from 130 Pro to 1000Pro the internal is 100% same?????

What limits the power watt then? Software?

Yes, according to Devialet. And Yes (firmware). The latter allegedly to protect the cases from overheating.

If the internal is exactly same. Then when connected to a small watt speaker, 130 Pro and 1000Pro should sounds same then!
(27-Aug-2017, 00:50)PeppaPig Wrote:
(26-Aug-2017, 08:07)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(26-Aug-2017, 01:53)PeppaPig Wrote: You mean from 130 Pro to 1000Pro the internal is 100% same?????

What limits the power watt then? Software?

Yes, according to Devialet.  And Yes (firmware). The latter allegedly to protect the cases from overheating.

If the internal is exactly same. Then when connected to a small watt speaker, 130 Pro and 1000Pro should sounds same then!

No, that is not correct. Dual monos have better measurements in THD and signal-to-noise. You can see this information from Devialet home page but I'll copy-paste them here for you:

1000 Pro specs:
THD+N: 0,00025% (1000W / 6Ω)
THD: 0,0001% (10W / 6Ω)
Signal-to-noise ratio: 133dB

130 Pro specs:
THD+N: 0,0005% (130W / 6Ω)
THD: 0,00025% (10W / 6Ω)
Signal-to-noise ratio: 130dB
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Once and for all  Wink

It's not the wattage and not the measurements that makes the different Dxxx models sound different.

I had both model on my workbench, some D200 and some D250. I think the measurments are the same for the two. The parts (and partsnumbers) of every board inside are the SAME for the two.
Devialet is not dumb. They can do anything with their DSP-Technology. A filter here and some phase alteration there...that alters the sound for the better or worse.

A D200 sounds similar to a D250 with the slight difference of more transparency and finess for the D250-sound...that might be easy to achieve on a digital level, wouldn't it?

This holds true even for the dual Monos as you can update your single Dxxx to Dual Mono at any time. Sure a dual Mono measures slightly different. But a D400 sounds even more transparent than a D250. That might be founded due to the altered signal path in a dual mono (see my mods discussion threads) but it is more likely and easier that Devialet just switches to another stack with different DSP patterns when you buy a companion and set it up as dual mono in the configurator.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
And apologies to helloworld1978, I misread and thought it was Peppapigs classified - perhaps better we move the discussion elsewhere as I've got a feeling this will run and run....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(27-Aug-2017, 13:53)yabaVR Wrote: Once and for all  Wink

It's not the wattage and not the measurements that makes the different Dxxx models sound different.

I had both model on my workbench, some D200 and some D250. I think the measurments are the same for the two. The parts (and partsnumbers) of every board inside are the SAME for the two.
Devialet is not dumb. They can do anything with their DSP-Technology. A filter here and some phase alteration there...that alters the sound for the better or worse.

A D200 sounds similar to a D250 with the slight difference of more transparency and finess for the D250-sound...that might be easy to achieve on a digital level, wouldn't it?

This holds true even for the dual Monos as you can update your single Dxxx to Dual Mono at any time. Sure a dual Mono measures slightly different. But a D400 sounds even more transparent than a D250. That might be founded due to the altered signal path in a dual mono (see my mods discussion threads) but it is more likely and easier that Devialet just switches to another stack with different DSP patterns when you buy a companion and set it up as dual mono in the configurator.

gui

No. I have just asked Devialet, the reply is all those model's internal are NOT exactly same, they only same at high level design but some components used in D130 isn't same as D250 Pro.
PeppaPig, since you don't appear ready to accept answers from knowledgeable members and seem to want to continue the debate might I suggest you start a topic rather than us spoil this wanted post further.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I have done mods to my D200 (similar to yabaVR). I compared the internal components with other "higher" models and they look the same to me. The differences are the heat transfer parts. For example, the 1000 pro has copper under-cover, which would provide better dissipation with the higher power output.
Devailet 200, Lumin A1, Magico S5, Kimber ks6063, Rockport Capella, Benz Micro Ruby, Kimber ks1026
(29-Aug-2017, 04:03)CharlesL Wrote: I have done mods to my D200 (similar to yabaVR). I compared the internal components with other "higher" models and they look the same to me. The differences are the heat transfer parts. For example, the 1000 pro has copper under-cover, which would provide better dissipation with the higher power output.

Here is the formal email reply from devialet engineer, stop the argue and guessing now:

==============
They are not indeed but the ADH technology will be the same as it is the core of our products but for the rest they are different.

Take the 130 for example, the phono stage is different (a bit less quality) and the main board is also different.

Regarding the 220 Pro and 250 Pro, same thing here. Some parts are different and this is why the distortion rate is not the same.

In conclusion, all models does not have the same hardware (130/220/250).
(28-Aug-2017, 14:19)PeppaPig Wrote:
(27-Aug-2017, 13:53)yabaVR Wrote: Once and for all  Wink

gui

No. I have just asked Devialet, the reply is all those model's internal are NOT exactly same, they only same at high level design but some components used in D130 isn't same as D250 Pro.

It looks like PeppaPig is correct, and that the new Pro models do indeed have slightly different innards.  (this is covered in another thread)  In fairness to gui, it is correct that the Expert era 200 / 250 models were indeed absolutely identical in terms of the electronics.  Gui suggests they sound different because of digital filters, however I was told by Devialet's Mathieu Pernod that the reason is due to how the power supply is controlled electronically, so on the D200 there are further software / electronic limits on the power supply versus that in the 250, the reason for this is to prevent overheating because the heat dissipation capability of the D200 case is lower than that for the D250.  This is done for good reason but can influence sound quality.  Just my opinion, but I would have thought it is highly unlikely Devialet would use digital filters to make the lower cost  models deliberately sound worse.  After all, they are still very expensive and also in a very competitive market.  Revising the power supply software to stop the innards overheating does make sense.

Devialet's Mathieu Pernod also explained why the dual mono units sounding better, this is due to the ADH being configured to one channel, which halves distortion.  In addition, more power equals better transient response, control of speakers etc, more power is always good!

Much of this stuff was covered a couple of years ago, see link for those who fancy a bit of historic reading:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...ht=cooling

This next link is also quite interesting, I enjoyed the insights from the very wise f1eng as to why we might think we are paying mainly for electronics, but actually we might be spending far more money on nice cases than we ever expected.

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...=transient
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(28-Aug-2017, 14:40)Hifi_swlon Wrote: PeppaPig, since you don't appear ready to accept answers from knowledgeable members and seem to want to continue the debate might I suggest you start a topic rather than us spoil this wanted post further.

I notice that this thread was actually started in may 2016, so I would hope the OP's wanted needs have been satisfied by now! Confused
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12