Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Problems with Air 3
(30-Jun-2016, 16:07)baddog Wrote: @KenH - can you try using an ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the Devialet?
I didn't go for the Airport Express, since I figured that firstly it shouldn't be needed, hence that video is possible to stream and I get more than 100 Mbit/s from my MacBook over WiFi to the internet and secondly I can't hook it up via ethernet cable, since the original router/cable modem is too far away and Devialet anyway suggests that the Airport Express needs to be within sight of the Devialet.
I'm sure it would work wireless if I set it up as per Devialets instructions, but my point with the post I just did, was that since it's possible to stream 4k video material over my WiFi, it shouldn't be a problem to stream just high res audio, so my conclusion is that either the AIR solution is flawed or the WiFi antenna/card is not good enough. 
I will move to a newly built apartment soon and I'll make sure they install ethernet connections in every room and simply use cable instead. But it's still a shame it doesn't work better than this, with a high-end product.
Ken - a new Devialet fan, located in Sweden  Cool
(30-Jun-2016, 16:05)KenH Wrote: I'm a fairly new Devialet user and even more so AIR user. I have been reading some of the posts here about AIR and all the problems and I can't get the AIR 3 to work over WiFi. On the other hand, I can stream Netflix full HD material (don't have a 4k Netflix subscription) or YouTube 4k material over my WiFi to my 4k TV, sitting further away from my router than my Devialet, but not even the lower bitrate settings will stream properly over WiFi to my Devialet. At first I was confused, then I thought about it for a second...I haven't opened up my D200s or anything, but aren't they mostly made up of metal (guessing aluminium with chemical nickel plating on the top side)? That's a perfect way to make an RF shield, so no high frequency signals can penetrate. With no external antenna, I'm not surprised at all that the only way to make AIR over WiFi to work, is with an Apple Airport Express sitting 1-2 meters away from the Devialet, with direct line of sight. Perhaps they should consider offering an external antenna setup, for users who'd like to actually use the wireless capabilities of their equipment, instead of suggesting that you should buy new WiFi routers and place them ridiculously close to your Devialet!

What symptoms are you experiencing when you say AIR 3 doesn't work?

I use MacBook Pro with Yosemite and a cheap Netgear router about 4m away from my D200 and it works without any problems at all.  Signal Strength around -48 dba
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
No audio or almost no audio. Shows signal strength -65 dBA or lower. My conclusion is that the Devialet would benefit from a proper antenna, since it's casing is built like a "by the book" perfect RF shield. My TV is almost twice as far away from the router and two more walls in between, and it still streams 4k video content perfectly from the same router that won't stream audio with the lowest settings, to my Devialet. Also, the D400 costs almost 10x more than my TV and I think it should perform better in this aspect...
But I'm moving to a new apartment fairly soon, so I'll try to sort it out then, but I felt I needed to complain a bit about this flaw Wink
(04-Jul-2016, 08:49)KenH Wrote: No audio or almost no audio. Shows signal strength -65 dBA or lower. My conclusion is that the Devialet would benefit from a proper antenna, since it's casing is built like a "by the book" perfect RF shield. My TV is almost twice as far away from the router and two more walls in between, and it still streams 4k video content perfectly from the same router that won't stream audio with the lowest settings, to my Devialet. Also, the D400 costs almost 10x more than my TV and I think it should perform better in this aspect...
But I'm moving to a new apartment fairly soon, so I'll try to sort it out then, but I felt I needed to complain a bit about this flaw Wink

-65 dBA is a very poor signal and I'm not surprised that you can't stream properly.  I honestly don't think its down to the design of the Devialet case as plenty of people stream using wi-fi. I think its more likely due to a faulty wi-fi card in the Devialet or a strange issue with your network.   Others have posted that they have had to locate wi-fi routers very close to their Devialets in order to get a stable signal so you're not alone.  Would your dealer let you try another Devialet in your home to see if that performs better or maybe see how your's works when attached to his network?

As I type I have - 48.5 dBA signal from an old Netgear router which is 4m away and can stream 24/96 to my 200 with no problems.  We do live in the country and other wi-fi networks are not an issue.

Which wireless router are you using? 

Mine is a Netgear DGN2200 which costs about £50 now and works perfectly e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-DGN2200...ear+router
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
I have a Netgear CG3700. The thing is also, that the router specifications tell me that at -70 dBA it should still be able to transfer at 260 MBit/s and that should be more than enough.
I can contact my dealer and see what he says. I'm anyhow thinking of adding another wireless access point near the Devialet, to see if it would help.
It might also be good to mention that I use a MacBook for streaming, if that wasn't mentioned before.
(05-Jul-2016, 08:58)KenH Wrote: I have a Netgear CG3700. The thing is also, that the router specifications tell me that at -70 dBA it should still be able to transfer at 260 MBit/s and that should be more than enough.
I can contact my dealer and see what he says. I'm anyhow thinking of adding another wireless access point near the Devialet, to see if it would help.
It might also be good to mention that I use a MacBook for streaming, if that wasn't mentioned before.

The router looks fine - a lot better user interface than mine Smile

I found a document that Devialet wrote about setting up a Wi-Fi network some time ago and they said:

'Streaming requires a strong Wi-Fi signal at the Devialet. We advise to reach for any value higher than -55dBm, ideally -45dBm or better if possible'.

They also recommended using 5 Ghz for the computer (Macbook) link and 2.5 Ghz for the Devialet to 'maximise bandwidth between the various elements'. 

You could try changing the Wi-Fi channel that you use.  There's an app called iStumbler which you can use to check signal strength and noise level by channel (I haven't tried it). 

Good luck!