Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D400 and Sonus Faber
So I moved to a D400 config with addition of another D200. But I have not found much improvement in the sound quality. What am I doing wrong? My speakers are the Sonus Faber Olympica 1, not the best sound, it was an impulse buy which I kind of regret now. I placed an order for the Wilson audio Duette II which should be soon with me. So in a way my question is does moving from D200 to D400 just required for difficult to drive speakers? I was expecting a wider soundstage, more detail and air between the instruments. But I prefer listening to a single D200 than a D400 I know I am in a minority.
Auralic Mini (Sbooster LPSU), Rega RP8, Melco N1A, Devialet D200, Devialet 400, ELAC BS314, ELAC BS312, Sonus Faber Olympica 1, Audioquest (Victoria, Yosemite, Vodka Cat7, Carbon USB) Chord Epic Master/Companion link, Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cable, Inakustik Reference LS-803 speaker cable,Isotek premium mains cables, TCI mains cables, Atlas mains unfiltered distribution block, Supra filtered mains distribution block, and synergistic research (red/black fuse,sort kone), and vertexaq (silver-jaya).
Actually I have read the odd other person say it's not such a huge leap or they preferred going back to a 200. I guess these things are very subjective. Can you return it?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

My 2 cents here:
- I have tested 2xD250 (vs D250) with 3 sets of speakers: Wilson Sophia, Lawrence audio double bass and Vivid audio Giya 2. In all tests there was no difference. With the G2, we had better results with the 250 alone! (And I was in the room with one of the designers of the speaker).
- The 250 is a better amp than the 200. If I were you I would try to offload the 2x200, get a 250 and invest the spare change in a good streamer a la Auralic Aries + high quality power chord (I use the Sablon audio one with great results, DEV is very sensitive to a good cable).
Good luck.
(31-May-2016, 13:52)EGTX Wrote: My 2 cents here:
- I have tested 2xD250 (vs D250) with 3 sets of speakers: Wilson Sophia, Lawrence audio double bass and Vivid audio Giya 2. In all tests there was no difference. With the G2, we had better results with the 250 alone! (And I was in the room with one of the designers of the speaker).
- The 250 is a better amp than the 200. If I were you I would try to offload the 2x200, get a 250 and invest the spare change in a good streamer a la Auralic Aries + high quality power chord (I use the Sablon audio one with great results, DEV is very sensitive to a good cable).
Good luck.

Hi,

I can't comment re. the 250 but I found an enormous difference when I went from D200 to D400 using Wilson Duette mark 1 in my small room. That makes me wonder if the rest of the system is behaving correctly.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
I upgraded from DP to D400, with Cremona M tower speakers, there were small improvements especially the bass is more tight.