Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling
@Borgen - where did the expectation come from, I think it was clear to me that the Devialet was designed to be connected to a PC, or whatever else you fancied via SPDIF etc?

@f1eng - I too am a fan of iTunes, I guess this is something to do with many years of familiarity, it always works for me, although I think admitting to this on a hi fi forum is a bit like admitting to having a rather unpleasant sexually transmitted disease!

Back on the topic of the thread, I do have happy thoughts of the days when turning on a hi fi had nothing whatsoever to do with a computer! Bliss! The thought of a dedicated UPnP device that just works appeals to me enormously. Having said that, I do enjoy messing about with playlists, just having tracks on random, rating tracks, and many other things that really need a PC.

In fact, I can see myself doing both before too long, that is having a "proper" UPnP device running off a hard drive full of music, AND having a PC connected via Ethernet. Then just use whatever I fancy on the day. Why not? This is all possible with the Devialet.

Anyway, signing off now, just going to play some old vinyl I've dug out of the garage.
@Confused - the expectations came from mail communication with Devialet.

"Having said that, I do enjoy messing about with playlists, just having tracks on random, rating tracks, and many other things that really need a PC."
----
You do not need a PC for this, a NAS and an integrated streamer could do the same. Of course, you normally would use a PC for managing your tracks on the NAS. For me, I do not care that much about UPnP or not, I would be totally happy with Devialet integrating squeezelite/ LMS and letting me use iPeng to control playback. The key point for me is simplicity, less components and hopefully less in the playback path that could reduce the sound quality.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
(23-Sep-2014, 20:43)Borgen Wrote: "Having said that, I do enjoy messing about with playlists, just having tracks on random, rating tracks, and many other things that really need a PC."
----
You do not need a PC for this, a NAS and an integrated streamer could do the same.
Mostly true, trouble is that I already have about 6000 tracks rated on iTunes, time invested, and I can't work out how to transfer the ratings, even to something like JRiver.

(23-Sep-2014, 20:43)Borgen Wrote: The key point for me is simplicity, less components and hopefully less in the playback path that could reduce the sound quality.

On this point, I could not agree more!
(23-Sep-2014, 00:58)Gurux Wrote: You are right Antoine, I have just ordered a Moon Mind 180D because it seems to be the best sensibly priced streaming transport for Devialet.

Again, Windows doesn't appeal to me and I see that you are running an Audiophile Optimiser (a 100€ software) over a Microsoft Server R2 (which to my knowledge is a couple of hundred) with JRiver which is another 50 bucks piece of software which also charges a fee for each generational upgrade. Adding to that the cost of hardware your solution looks neither exactly cheap nor quite straightforward.

I continue to view UPnP as a much simpler, more elegant and enjoyable solution and at least on par, sound quality wise, with Air.

Congratulations on your purchase of the Moon! Smile

Everyone chooses his own best solution. I'd never say "my solution is the best" but it is for me, at this moment. Smile Regarding this setup, it is in fact a very straightforward one. All one needs is a PC. The hardware for this PC can be tailored to taste, e.g. a case that resembles a HiFi component, fanless or not etc. The Devialets offer ethernet and WiFi so it doesn't even have to be in the same room as the Devialet. I did choose to place it near the Devialet as that's where my TV is as well. My system is a dual boot system, Server 2012 dedicated for music playback with JRiver and an Airplay receiver for Airplay and a Windows 8.1 partition for XBMC/HTPC, more video related work.

The installation of Windows Server 2012 is as easy as installing Windows 8. Then one just has to install the drivers for hardware that isn't recognized by Windows, JRiver (or another music playback program) and AIR (and/or the Devialet USB driver) and finally run the Audiophile Optimizer (AO) software that automatically optimizes the system. From there it's set&forget. Do you need help and the manual doesn't help? No problem, the AO maker gives you excellent and fast support. All the tweaking, testing and guesswork is done by the maker of AO and his beta team. I leave the PC up&running 24/7 but one press at the power button it shuts down and another press and it boots again and a few seconds later you can press the play button on your tablet/phone.

If you'd like to store your music on a NAS because you already own one and it's there already, fine, just point JRiver to the NAS folder(s). Or store your music locally on your music server and sell the NAS. Smile

The costs aren't that high. You don't need the fastest hardware around, a basic PC of say 300 euro's is more than enough. Luxurious options like for example a Streacom case, a fast low power i7 CPU and linear PSU's etc. etc. could make it more expensive but these are all optional. Also I know that a lot of people don't even buy the Server 2012 software and run the trial. It can run 180 days and after that this can be extended two or three times. After that they reinstall Windows etc. which takes you about 30 minutes at most.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
For one, I do not wish to use uPNP but maybe a better implemented DLNA or use minimserver.
UPNP is thwart with security issues and I don't think it is good as a streaming access protocol to NAS since it does horrendous broadcasts over network. More like after thought.
I suggest to try minimserver instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure I've ever got my head around buying a product based on non-existent written promises of how that product will/might/could develop. I'm considering the Naim to DVLA leap bug my sole considerations are how it sounds now; the reduced box count and the existence of digital inputs to future proof to some extent. Have never found a product that is actually future proofed or endlessly upgradeable. Practically and logically it's impossible so why anyone would buy into it I have no idea. Basing purchase decisions based on discussions in forums - hmm.
(27-Dec-2014, 00:10)mikehughescq Wrote: Not sure I've ever got my head around buying a product based on non-existent written promises of how that product will/might/could develop. I'm considering the Naim to DVLA leap bug my sole considerations are how it sounds now; the reduced box count and the existence of digital inputs to future proof to some extent. Have never found a product that is actually future proofed or endlessly upgradeable. Practically and logically it's impossible so why anyone would buy into it I have no idea. Basing purchase decisions based on discussions in forums - hmm.

Hi Mike,

I don't know about you but I put a lot more faith in the people on this forum than on what reviewers say. There are some genuine complainers and genuine happy chaps so you get a bit of both. the trick is to read between the lines.

Enjoy the chat room!Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Dec-2014, 00:10)mikehughescq Wrote: Not sure I've ever got my head around buying a product based on non-existent written promises of how that product will/might/could develop. I'm considering the Naim to DVLA leap bug my sole considerations are how it sounds now; the reduced box count and the existence of digital inputs to future proof to some extent. Have never found a product that is actually future proofed or endlessly upgradeable. Practically and logically it's impossible so why anyone would buy into it I have no idea. Basing purchase decisions based on discussions in forums - hmm.

I learned in the mid 70s that I needed a home demo to make a good purchase decision.
A shop demo may give an idea of whether a home demo is worthwhile, but won't tell you whether it will match at home.
The Devialet is probably the most transparent amp available. OTOH not many people mainly listen to simply miked unmanipulated recordings of acoustic music, so adding their own favoured flavour of colouration to the hifi via the amp is common, transparency is not necessarily what everybody is looking for.
If you are considering a change from a Naim to a Devialet I would strongly urge trying at home first.

When I bought mine the idea of firmware updates being available did not enter into the decision at all, and I still see it of marginal importance, personally.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(26-Dec-2014, 06:22)madumm Wrote: For one, I do not wish to use uPNP but maybe a better implemented DLNA or use minimserver.
UPNP is thwart with security issues and I don't think it is good as a streaming access protocol to NAS since it does horrendous broadcasts over network. More like after thought.
I suggest to try minimserver instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi madumm, not too sure I understand your post. MinimServer is a UPnP AV music server... Smile

http://minimserver.com/features.html

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Last time I spoke to a Devialet engineer he said UPnP was for printers, but they would be bringing out something better in spring 2015. I know others have been told UPnP is coming. Dialog? Who knows? For me I'd like something that optimised sound quality, but maybe had a bit of UPnP usability. Sound quality first? I hope Devialet keep this ethos.