Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help need, D400 as preamp only
I'm trying to set up my D400 system as a preamp only, a friend of mine is going on vacation
and i'm going to borrow his Classe CA-M600 amps

So if any body can help me out, step by step instuctions. 
I did check the Devialet FAQ and it was no help. https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...e-amp-only

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Under General Settings in the Configurator, on the Startup page, make sure that Sub/Preout is ticked. Next, click the input next but one to the AES/EBU on the companion to activate it, select the settings arrow and tick the Pre-amplified Output (Stereo) circle. Leave all of the options as they are and close the box. You will see that the two inputs are now labelled "Preout". Save the configs to the relevant cards, put them back in the amps, turn them on and wait for the amps to start up and load  the new configurations. Connect a pair of cables to these terminals and hook them up to your power amp(s). This is assuming that you have your companion connected by its AES/EBU terminal.

If you connect your amps RCA to RCA, choose any two inputs that you're not using and configure them to be mono outputs. You can change which one you want to be left/right channel.
Hope this helps.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Axel

That worked perfect, many thanks.

Thanks Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(01-Jun-2016, 11:09)BrianT Wrote: Axel

That worked perfect, many thanks.

Thanks Brian

Brian,
Glad it did the trick!

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Brian,
I am curious what you thought about that set-up? Did you get a sense of the differences between the two amps?

Chris
(05-Jun-2016, 04:40)jccox Wrote: Brian,
I am curious what you thought about that set-up? Did you get a sense of the differences between the two amps?

Chris

Chris

The Classe M600 has balls on the low end, works very nice with my 803D3, but the mids are muddled, not as clear as the Devialet.
As I listen to a lot of male and female vocals the Devialet is a winner, after a couple of hours of playing with both.
Its easy to add a sub, if I really need that low end.

As I have the Classe until 28 June, I will have more time to do a comparison.  

Setup:

Devialet D400: MacMini SSD>Air Beta 3>Roon>Ethernet>Devialet D400>Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables>B&W803D3

Classe M600: MacMini SSD>Air Beta 3>Roon>Ethernet>Devialet D400 as Pre only>Nordost Heimdall RCA>Classe M600> Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables>B&W803D3

Brian
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(05-Jun-2016, 20:52)BrianT Wrote:
(05-Jun-2016, 04:40)jccox Wrote: Brian,

Chris

Chris

The Classe M600 has balls on the low end, works very nice with my 803D3, but the mids are muddled, not as clear as the Devialet.
As I listen to a lot of male and female vocals the Devialet is a winner, after a couple of hours of playing with both.
Its easy to add a sub, if I really need that low end.

As I have the Classe until 28 June, I will have more time to do a comparison.  

Setup:

Devialet D400: MacMini SSD>Air Beta 3>Roon>Ethernet>Devialet D400>Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables>B&W803D3

Classe M600: MacMini SSD>Air Beta 3>Roon>Ethernet>Devialet D400 as Pre only>Nordost Heimdall RCA>Classe M600> Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables>B&W803D3

Brian
Was this with or without SAM for the 400?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(05-Jun-2016, 22:10)Soniclife Wrote: Was this with or without SAM for the 400?

For the Devialet D400 I had Sam ON and OFF, at the moment its ON set at 25%

Could not use Sam when using the Devialet as Pre feeding the Classe M600

Brian
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(06-Jun-2016, 11:33)BrianT Wrote: For the Devialet D400 I had Sam ON and OFF, at the moment its ON set at 25%

Does the Classe still have more balls when compared to SAM on, or are these different things?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(06-Jun-2016, 13:57)Soniclife Wrote:
(06-Jun-2016, 11:33)BrianT Wrote: For the Devialet D400 I had Sam ON and OFF, at the moment its ON set at 25%

Does the Classe still have more balls when compared to SAM on, or are these different things?

Yes the Classe is a win winner in the bass department, not a lot but a winner.
compared to the D400 with or without SAM.

I am planing on doing a longer test of the Classe M600
I will post my finding then.

Brian
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.