Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparison between Wilson Benesch Vector / Sonus Faber Olympica II / Kef Reference 3
Other speakers you ask...  You should give the Wilson Audio Sabrina a listen if you can.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/wi...abrina.htm

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/wilson-...udspeaker/

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilso...30kQBow.97
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(22-Jun-2016, 22:11)Dr Tone Wrote: Other speakers you ask...  You should give the Wilson Audio Sabrina a listen if you can.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/wi...abrina.htm

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/wilson-...udspeaker/

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilso...30kQBow.97

I heard very good things about these, but they are a little above my budget, and, well, this is probably personal, but they are really ugly to look at... Like walked away from a Doctor who set Cool (i know, when they sound fabulous this is of minor concern, but then again, thank you for the tip...)
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(22-Jun-2016, 20:54)MusicLover Wrote:
(22-Jun-2016, 07:17)Bartype Wrote:
(21-Jun-2016, 13:39)Axel Wrote: So, have you placed your order yet or are you undecided?

Well, if everything goes well probably tonight  Big Grin

So, can we say welcome to the club? Smile

Well, my dealer didn't have time yesterday, so it will be today when we close the deal...

As an owner, do you have some tips already, as for placement and the like ?
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(23-Jun-2016, 09:20)Bartype Wrote:
(22-Jun-2016, 20:54)MusicLover Wrote:
(22-Jun-2016, 07:17)Bartype Wrote: Well, if everything goes well probably tonight  Big Grin

So, can we say welcome to the club? Smile

Well, my dealer didn't have time yesterday, so it will be today when we close the deal...

Ciao Bartype,

As you know, with regards to placement, it really depends on the unique characteristics of your space.

Now, my experience is based on a very irregular room: facing the speakers the right side of the room is open, same behind the listening position, where the kitchen is, its a wood ceiling and there is a large rug. The speakers are separated by about 170 cm, slightly toed and I have risen the back spikes so the tweeter is more direct. Separation from the back wall is about 80 cm and from the side wall around 90 cm. I sit about 2,5 mts away from the speakers.

My music taste leans mostly towards classical and vocal where I think the Olympicas truly excel. Although try some bass-heavy electronic such as Yello's album "One Second" and I think you will be quite impressed! Bass may not reach the vey deepest octave but its tightness, cleanliness and texture richness is to be heard.

To sum up, I believe very mildly in cables or high resolution audio. I think the real nirvana lies in proper room acoustics, speaker placement and, of course, source material.

Hope this helps Smile

PS: Dr Tone, I am very curious to hear the Sabrinas. Do you find the D200 enough to drive them properly? Have you listened to them driven by the D400? All the reviews say they are not demanding at all power-wise.
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
(23-Jun-2016, 20:17)MusicLover Wrote: PS: Dr Tone, I am very curious to hear the Sabrinas. Do you find the D200 enough to drive them properly? Have you listened to them driven by the D400? All the reviews say they are not demanding at all power-wise.

D200 is more than enough, I try to take care of my ears these days.  I'm waiting to hear what the Pro upgrade will do for the D200, but so far it looks like I'll most likely move to an Ayre AX5 Twenty, even less power but from every review, one of the sweetest sounding integrated amps at low volume out there.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(23-Jun-2016, 20:25)Dr Tone Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 20:17)MusicLover Wrote: PS: Dr Tone, I am very curious to hear the Sabrinas. Do you find the D200 enough to drive them properly? Have you listened to them driven by the D400? All the reviews say they are not demanding at all power-wise.

D200 is more than enough, I try to take care of my ears these days.  I'm waiting to hear what the Pro upgrade will do for the D200, but so far it looks like I'll most likely move to an Ayre AX5 Twenty, even less power but from every review, one of the sweetest sounding integrated amps at low volume out there.

Interesting... I'll have a listen as soon as I have the opportunity.
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
(23-Jun-2016, 20:17)MusicLover Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 09:20)Bartype Wrote:
(22-Jun-2016, 20:54)MusicLover Wrote: So, can we say welcome to the club? Smile

Ciao Bartype,

As you know, with regards to placement, it really depends on the unique characteristics of your space.

Now, my experience is based on a very irregular room: facing the speakers the right side of the room is open, same behind the listening position, where the kitchen is, its a wood ceiling and there is a large rug. The speakers are separated by about 170 cm, slightly toed and I have risen the back spikes so the tweeter is more direct. Separation from the back wall is about 80 cm and from the side wall around 90 cm. I sit about 2,5 mts away from the speakers.

My music taste leans mostly towards classical and vocal where I think the Olympicas truly excel. Although try some bass-heavy electronic such as Yello's album "One Second" and I think you will be quite impressed! Bass may not reach the vey deepest octave but its tightness, cleanliness and texture richness is to be heard.

To sum up, I believe very mildly in cables or high resolution audio. I think the real nirvana lies in proper room acoustics, speaker placement and, of course, source material.

Hope this helps Smile

PS: Dr Tone, I am very curious to hear the Sabrinas. Do you find the D200 enough to drive them properly? Have you listened to them driven by the D400? All the reviews say they are not demanding at all power-wise.

Thank you for your info. I have ordered the SF's and will propably receive them today or tomorrow! I will check out the brown noise generator of the Devialet for the days i am working :-)

(28-Jun-2016, 08:57)Bartype Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 20:17)MusicLover Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 09:20)Bartype Wrote: Well, my dealer didn't have time yesterday, so it will be today when we close the deal...

Ciao Bartype,

Hope this helps Smile

Thank you for your info. I have ordered the SF's and will propably receive them today or tomorrow! I will check out the brown noise generator of the Devialet for the days i am working :-)

Hope you get them soon. Good luck with them and please keep us posted: tell us about the sound when first hooked up and improvements with use, if possible. Some pics would be nice too!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I have owned the Olympicas for about 5 months now and I am very pleased with my choice. They are a great speaker and the sweet treble was the reason I chose them over the PMC26s, which I also had at home.

They really do need to be off the back wall IMO as my bass was boomy until I got the positioning right. I was limited as my gear is in the main living room. I didnt really want the speakers being the focal point of the room, but I had to move them more off the wall. They are also the best looking speaker I have seen by far......well in my budget anyway.

I am sure you will love them. Keep us posted
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Well they are standing tall now in my room! Good looking indeed, i have the wallnut version. They already sound GREAT from the start, so i am wondering how good it is going to get within 10 days 24x7 playing (the Devialet brown noise at night and when at work)...

9 days to go :-)

I love them, already, playing everything and up until now all this great in my room (i haven't tried the more heavy stuff yet)