Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singxer
One of the attractions of the SU-1 is that it has its own in-built linear power supply, even if only with a single stage DC regulation.
RCA to Aes/EBU is suboptimal, it'll probably work but you loose the balanced signal path and will cause an impedance mismatch.

I'll let this page do the detailed explaning: http://www.rane.com/note149.html
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(13-Aug-2016, 23:04)Antoine Wrote: RCA to Aes/EBU is suboptimal, it'll probably work but you loose the balanced signal path and will cause an impedance mismatch.

I'll let this page do the detailed explaning: http://www.rane.com/note149.html

Thanks Antoine, a fountain of knowledge as usual.

I'd never really looked at this stuff - it's not surprising AES is often better considering the voltages/current used? Regardless of the balanced aspect, this must surely be better for countering noise etc?

The thing that made me think RCA to AES was people saying connecting their companions this way was better than RCA>RCA. It also makes me wonder why AES (or even network cable connection) wasn't the default?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

The more I read the more I'm tempted to try the SU-1. If I get an improvement over USB I'll be happy, and since I don't have a Mutec I'll never know whether it's better or worse anyway!

Just need to work out cost including shipping/customs, and an affordable AES cable. (Affordable, relative to my spend in the SU-1 would bean like well sub 100 quid!)

(Edited as meant Mutec, not Melco!)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I am using the DH Labs D-110. Definitely less than 100 quid for 1.0 m without shipping.
(14-Aug-2016, 11:13)nicoludio Wrote: I am using the DH Labs D-110.  Definitely less than 100 quid for 1.0 m without shipping.

Where did you get your cable, Nic? I tried the links from the DH Labs website, but there is no UK distributor listed, and none of the others mention it. I want to get a 2.0 XLR terminated cable made up.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
From Sound Affairs (see link in post #19 above).

DH Labs sells direct on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ARK3...+d-110+2.0
(09-Jun-2016, 07:03)nicoludio Wrote: For those who are interested, Singxer plans to introduce a DC input version of the SU-1, hopefully in July. It will be cheaper but they are not disclosing the price yet.

I emailed leter@singxer and got a reply staying no DC version. Maybe it was a one-off.

I'm still tempted. The only thing that puts me off is support etc as its not easy even getting the most basic information from them. Mull it over I guess.

(14-Aug-2016, 12:27)nicoludio Wrote: From Sound Affairs (see link in post #19 above).

Thanks Nic, just the job!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(14-Aug-2016, 16:56)Axel Wrote:
(14-Aug-2016, 12:27)nicoludio Wrote: From Sound Affairs (see link in post #19 above).

Thanks Nic, just the job!

Just want to second the endorsement for DH Labs, they have superb communications, and are straight forward folks. I don't usually recommend vendors, but I do recommend them. You can also email them if you have special requests.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US