Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 questions
Hi All

I am a newcomer here. I am considering the purchase of a 200, but I'm in need of some advice about the AIR software for streaming.

The Devialet website is none too informative about how the AIR works with the Devialet, so I thought I would download it and install it on my laptop (HP EliteBook, Windows 7 64 bit) to investigate. Unfortunately it will not even run on my laptop.

I get a message which says 'The AIR virtual sound card driver could not be loaded, please restart your computer'

At the moment I have a Logitech Transporter connected to a Vortexbox running LMS and a DLNA server. I would like the Devialet to stream directly from the DLNA server in the Vortexbox via Ethernet under control of the AIR software. Is that possible?
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
Hi Disarmamant, welcome to this forum!

The installation of the AIR software should be very straightforward in a "next, next, next, finish way". It installs both a driver and the AIR software client/GUI. If either doesn't install something's "off" on your computer as your software is supported. I would try again after a deinstallation. Without a Devialet active in your network though you can't really do much with AIR.

AIR installs a virtual soundcard which can be set as a WASAPI output device for all sound on your system. It or the Devialets don't offer direct DLNA support so you have to use a music player local on the machine. Of course your music library could be anywhere on your network. Using JRiver for example you could still use the DLNA Vortexbox when you set it up as a DLNA library as long as the music is outputted to the machine running AIR. You can connect this AIR music playback machine to the Devialet using ethernet or WiFi.

AIR only supports Windows/OS X but for USB you won't need AIR and sound quality is similar to ethernet/WiFi.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
OK, I uninstalled AIR. Checked HP for updates to drivers on my PC, updated Ethernet and wireless drivers. Re-installed AIR and get the same message. My PC is up to date with Windows updates, I have no issues with any other software, so I don't think it's 'off'. It's only AIR that's off on my laptop. Maybe I should rethink about going down the Devialet route.
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
You're welcome.

Quote:Maybe I should rethink about going down the Devialet route.

Yes, as it runs everywhere except at your immaculate laptop, I really think you should. Why would anyone here care.. Confused
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(21-Sep-2014, 14:17)Antoine Wrote: Yes, as it runs everywhere except at your immaculate laptop, I really think you should. Why would anyone here care.. Confused

Nice, thank you, obviously no one here does care! I asked the question here as I thought there might be others who had the same problem and could help. Well it seems not.

I'm sure it can't be just me who has the problem, can you back up your claim that it runs everywhere with no issues?

I did not say my laptop was immaculate, I was merely pointing out that I don't have any issues with any other software, only the AIR application. If you think my laptop is 'off' then it would have been more helpful if you could have made some suggestion of where I should be looking for the problem.

I'm afraid I get put off very easily when things fail at the first hurdle, hence my comment that maybe I should re-think.

Thanks anyway.

I have spent some time deleting some old little used software from my laptop and tried again to install AIR, the install fails with this.

[Image: Capture2.PNG]

Any one know what 'Error Code 2' is please?
(21-Sep-2014, 17:02)disarmamant Wrote:
I have spent some time deleting some old little used software from my laptop and tried again to install AIR, the install fails with this.

[Image: Capture2.PNG]

Any one know what 'Error Code 2' is please?

you could maybe send your screenshot to Devialet themselves, via the Contact list ?

I personally can't help with diagnosis as i haven't yet installed Air myself....
Windows error code 2 is "the system cannot find the file specified". It may be referring some AIR internal error code, but it's most likely IMHO to be this Windows one.
So missing file ... But which one? There may be more of a clue in the Windows event logs (application logs?) but these tend not to be too useful.

Maybe try re-downloading just in case the download got corrupted somehow? Unlikely. The disk isn't full is it?

Contacting Devialet would be your best bet.
(21-Sep-2014, 22:04)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Windows error code 2 is "the system cannot find the file specified". It may be referring some AIR internal error code, but it's most likely IMHO to be this Windows one.
So missing file ... But which one? There may be more of a clue in the Windows event logs (application logs?) but these tend not to be too useful.

Maybe try re-downloading just in case the download got corrupted somehow? Unlikely. The disk isn't full is it?

Contacting Devialet would be your best bet.

Thank you, that's quite helpful. No the disk is not full. I checked the event logs, but as you say it's not too useful. I will take your advice and contact Devialet.
(21-Sep-2014, 17:02)disarmamant Wrote:
(21-Sep-2014, 14:17)Antoine Wrote: Yes, as it runs everywhere except at your immaculate laptop, I really think you should. Why would anyone here care.. Confused

Nice, thank you, obviously no one here does care! I asked the question here as I thought there might be others who had the same problem and could help. Well it seems not.

I'm sure it can't be just me who has the problem, can you back up your claim that it runs everywhere with no issues?

I did not say my laptop was immaculate, I was merely pointing out that I don't have any issues with any other software, only the AIR application. If you think my laptop is 'off' then it would have been more helpful if you could have made some suggestion of where I should be looking for the problem.

I'm afraid I get put off very easily when things fail at the first hurdle, hence my comment that maybe I should re-think.

Thanks anyway.

OK sorry for my 'harsh' answer, I'm afraid I get put off very easily by people who get put off very easily! Blush Wink I've been reading the different forums since and before I've owned my D-Premier (and even before AIR existed) and never read about this issue or a somewhat related one and that's why I was quite sure it is more of an exception. But of course: no I can't know it all.

Indeed your best bet would be to contact Devialet, they program the driver installation routines and should be able to check what issue error 2 indicates or know about log files that maybe exist somewhere on your system giving a more detailed view on what went wrong and where. Without deeper knowledge of the AIR installer it really could be a 1000 things going wrong, Windows is all but perfect.

It could be helpful to clean out your temp directories first using a program like CCleaner (it's free and cleans up your system very fast, easy and it's reliable). Also did you run the installer using the 'Run as administrator' option (right mouse click)?

Did you get the error 2 the first time also? If not, and some other error popped up, it might be useful to manually remove any remnants or partially installed drivers in Windows Device Manager first by pressing delete after you've selected any Devialet related devices in Device Manager.

Are you asked if you 'trust' Devialet/the Devialet driver during the install? You should see that question during the driver installation.

Worst case you'd have to perform a fresh reinstallation of Windows as this solves issues 99% of the time, but let's wait and see if Devialet can help first and maybe above helps a bit as well.

The Netherlands
Also, in Control Panel -> Uninstall a program, it's not already showing as "installed" is it? Just wondering (as Antoine alludes to above too) whether the first installation attempt failed in some way and is causing a weird error on subsequent attempts.
Also, does the laptop have a simple disk partitioning scheme or could the AIR installer be trying to install to an incorrect location. Usually programs would go on the partition containing the rest of the system (e.g C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86) ) but I have seen some more off-the-wall partitioning schemes that have befuddled program installers.
Also mentioning 64 vs 32-bit file paths above, confusion with that could be a possibility too.

I've not seen AIR installation fail yet, personally, but have only installed using all the defaults and on the same kind of machine - usually Windows 7 or 8 and usually 64-bit.